Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Media Player on OSX?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It basically works, and it sounds a lot better than Real Player. It's missing some features from the Windows version that make it a pain in the neck: it won't display playlists, and it won't navigate backward from the first segment of a playlist to the last. When I listen to radio shows that are broken up into 12 segments, there's no way to navigate directly to a given segment without a playlist displaying, so you have to forward through all the segments until you get to the one you need. At least the 9 version doesn't take as long to buffer as the 7 version did. Windows Media files don't always open, which is probably an issue with the encoding used, maybe the new 9 version helps with that. It doesn't always work, but it's pretty stable and sounds good. If I have a choice between Windows Media and QuickTime, I'll always choose QT (or iTunes); but I'll always choose WM over Real Player if those are my only choices.

I'm actually very surprised at how well WMP works on the Mac... great performance from my point of view.

Cheers!

Spencer

"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way....BRUTALLY!!!!"

Originally posted by Anderton:

I have Windows Media Player on my OS X machine, QuickTime on my XP machine, and Real on both.

They get along just fine, I've even seen them watching movies together and drinking CPU juice.

As long as they clean up any spilled popcorn. I hate it when my apps don't clean up after themselves.

Thanks for the advice, all!

I really don't know what to put here.

I think they are talking about Windows Media Player for Mac OS, Linux boy :D . BTW, my Windows Media Video codec is totally hosed on my home PC. Everytime I try to play video with any media player my system reboots. Son of a b**&^.... The sad part is that I'm too tired and lazy to try to deal with it, so I just use my laptop whenever I need video...F*&^ing computers...

this is the video software i us to make quality¨

control of content for computer playback:

VirtualDubMod (at the moment v1.5.10.1)

http://virtualdubmod.sourceforge.net/

or the normal version

VirtualDub

http://www.virtualdub.org/

for 32-bit Windows platforms

(95/98/ME/NT4/2000/XP).

It's extremly fast in scoll, and has a few

features for pros, i.e.:

a) right click in the video and rezize for artefact control

b) process AviSynth scripts

c) save sound of a video for processing

d) resize and "save as"

e) video filters

etc. etc..

It's free and made by a english genius!

It the tool all video producer have, when working

on intel machines.

-

-Peace, Love, and Potahhhhto

Originally posted by Dylan:

I think they are talking about Windows Media Player for Mac OS, Linux boy :D . BTW, my Windows Media Video codec is totally hosed on my home PC. Everytime I try to play video with any media player my system reboots. Son of a b**&^.... The sad part is that I'm too tired and lazy to try to deal with it, so I just use my laptop whenever I need video...F*&^ing computers...

Yeah, I meant Windows Media player.

Well, I put it on and it's behaving ok, though it's only playing audio though the built in sound device when streaming over the 'net. Hmmmmm. Curious. Oh well, I can always just patch it though my sound card if I need to hear streaming WMP audio through my monitors.

Oh, and Dylan, about the "F*&^ing computers" ...

I've only had the Mac and OSX for about a week, but it has completely changed my perspective. I think I'm becoming a zealot.

:love:

But then again, I haven't known many Mac owners that weren't. Maybe there is a reason for that. ;)

quote:
Originally posted by Sylver:

Oh, and Dylan, about the "F*&^ing computers" ...

I've only had the Mac and OSX for about a week, but it has completely changed my perspective. I think I'm becoming a zealot.

:freak:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

WMP runs quite happily on my Mac. While my default viewer is QuickTime, quite a few web sites will have problems displaying some kind of video plug-in, and my Mac will politely ask me if I want to try it out with WMP, and it works just dandy every time.

Hey Sylver... have you used Exposé? Hit F11 right now. Wheee! It's actually very useful for being such a simple idea.

- Jeff

I think they are talking about Windows Media Player for Mac OS, Linux boy

:D

Sometimes it takes another comp geek to catch my deadpans :eek: (psst. i've incidentally almost universally moved over to FreeBSD on everything, btw).

I've only had the Mac and OSX for about a week, but it has completely changed my perspective. I think I'm becoming a zealot.......But then again, I haven't known many Mac owners that weren't. Maybe there is a reason for that.

There are Subliminal Messages that play on the monitor all the time that tell you things like:

YOU LOVE YOUR MAC

YOU ARE AN EXALTED AND SOPHISTICATED INDIVIDUAL

YOU ARE CREATIVE, INGENIOUS AND SMUG

YOU ARE INTELLIGENT, HIGHLY CULTURED, BUT MISUNDERSTOOD

LOOK DOWN UPON ALL AROUND YOU, FOR YOU ARE SUPERIOR

YOUR NEXT MOVE IS TO GET AN iPOD

And stuff. That's just the background noise, whenever there is a system error, they're more like:

DON'T WORRY. IT'S NOT YOUR FAULT. IT'S NOT APPLE'S FAULT EITHER, BECAUSE APPLE IS PERFECT IN EVERY WAY. BUT THOSE WINTEL DRONES, THEY ARE THE TRUE CAUSE OF ALL YOUR LIFE'S PROBLEMS. WE MUST HATE THEM

(all in jest of course :D Glad to hear you're diggin it, Sylver :thu: )

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Originally posted by Jeff Da Weasel:

Hey Sylver... have you used Exposé? Hit F11 right now. Wheee! It's actually very useful for being such a simple idea.

- Jeff

Ohhh, I've wanted a button to do that! Thanks, Jeff!

Archived