Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Amazing new film starts Friday, May 20th

After you get your Star Wars fix - or if you're in the mood for something new and refreshing - those of you who live in or near major cities can check out a delightful new film, Mad Hot Ballroom .

The New York City public school system introduced a program several years ago to teach ballroom dancing to fifth graders. The program started in just two schools, but today some sixty schools and thousands of students participate. After the initial ten week course, students who do well are selected to represent their schools in successive citywide competitions. The film follows students from three schools as they move ahead in the competition.

"Mad Hot" works on many levels. The music and dance have an artistic appeal, and the process of learning the dance steps is quite fascinating. The competition is reminiscent of "Hoosiers" and other classic sports films but avoids the cliches of sports dramatization. After all, this story is real. I can tell you that the entire theater erupted in cheers and applause as the film reached its conclusion.

But the real delight of Mad Hot Ballroom is the commentary of the kids themselves. The director allows the kids to speak for themselves, and they discuss everything from their interest in the subject matter to their families, neighborhoods, and long term aspirations, all from the uniquely delightful perspect of eleven-years-olds.

There is a trailer and some clips at the link.

Enjoy! This one is a real treasure!

:thu::thu:

The Black Knight always triumphs!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks really sweet (and all the old Latino and swing bands will get some airplay, good for them.)

Imagine 50 years in the future, as your kids try to teach your grandkids about the various styles of rock (and, of course, the infamaous wedding gig where the first dance is a wedding schmooze version of a gangsta rap classic...)

Dasher - don't ask me about those other reindeer, all I can tell you is Comet's in the sink!

So......do you remember being a kid? Would you have liked someone making you dance?

Look back, really hard....sorry I just can't see anyone but the reeaally nurdy kids wanting to do that. Ball room dancing for kids? What will they think of next?

Originally posted by TheWewus:

So......do you remember being a kid? Would you have liked someone making you dance?

Look back, really hard....sorry I just can't see anyone but the reeaally nurdy kids wanting to do that. Ball room dancing for kids? What will they think of next?

Go see the f***ing movie and then you'll have something to talk about. :freak:

Yorik

Stone In A Pond

"Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on."

• 1 month later...

Great recommendation, Dan! :thu:

My wife and I saw it tonight at a local theater.

We thought it was touching, amusing, and exciting. Very compelling - in a similar vein as Spellbound .

As a footnote: it was great to see Ann Reinking (All That Jazz, Micki + Maude, Annie, Fosse) as one of the judges. :cool:

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Geoff,

You're most welcome. I'm glad that you enjoyed it.

I didn't recognize any of the judges, but I know some of the dance instructors. It was a thrill for me to see their protegés do so well.

Wewus,

Don't feel bad. I hated square dancing as a kid and I still do. I don't know whether it was because we had to do it in gym class or not, but I can assure you that partners dancing is quite a different experience.

nudge nudge wink wink

;)

Archived