Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone ever done any USO tours?

Was just asked to do a possible USO tour this summer or fall. Hitting all the major tourist destinations: Bhagdad, Kuwait, Qatar, Afgahnistan...

Anyone else been crazy enough to hitch a ride on one of these tours?

Seriously, what the f*ck with the candles? Where does this candle impulse come from, and in what other profession does it get expressed?

-steve albini

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mike, if you go for it, I guarantee you some of the most receptive / appreciative audiences you'll ever deal with at every stop. IMO, the USO is incredibly important, and the kids in the field love them. It would be something you could feel really good about. :thu:

Phil, I'll give you one guess on who it might be with...

{gots to keep it on the down-low}

Seriously, what the f*ck with the candles? Where does this candle impulse come from, and in what other profession does it get expressed?

-steve albini

Originally posted by Jeff Da Weasel:

Wasn't it USO touring that landed Neil (Fantastic Sound) in Kandahar?

I think it would be cool. :thu:

- Jeff

Yeah Neil did one and someone else did too. Something about a band, something Pink or Pink something???

Great opportunity Mike.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

I've done tons of them. You'll have the best crews, that will do anything you desire and more. You'll play either outside, or in prefab movie houses that all look the same because they are. You'll carry sound lights and backline that must fit on 3 C-130 pallets, and for short hops (less than 2 hours) you'll fly with it in the C-130 jump seats. Bring some really good earplugs, lots of them, as you'll be on some really loud planes. Pack light, be respectful, and have fun.

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

I've done bunches of DOD and MWR tours. It's for the same audience. Been all over the Med, Carribean, Central America and ROK. The closest I got to where you might be going was Turkey. It was so hot and dry that I went to take a contact lens off and it ripped in half. Had to wear spectacles the rest of the trip.

If you're fit you'll mangage and have the best audiences you've ever had. You'll have to rough it a bit, but it's fun and see the world and all that.

We did a ton of shows in Korea. Mostly for Army and AF but once we got sub contracted out to play for Marines way out in the middle of nowhere. I got sort of freaked by the Marines at Gitmo, but in ROK they carried our gear in, were completely reverant and dug our show immensly. On leaving this guy comes up all smiles and shakes my hand really vigoursly and it hurt. Turns out he placed his 'wings' pin in my hand. They were way cool and you can't imagine how fufilling it is to be really appreciated.

If I were a bit younger, I'd go in a heartbeat. Best crowd you'll ever play for.

If you go check me or Neil for tips on what to take and how to pack.

Good luck!

I did our US bases over in Japan for a six week tour and it was a blast. I know this is different from what you're describing, but the common thread is the joy the guys and gals have for what you're doing. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

You know if it wasn't for stopping right in the middle of Hell (Bhagdad), I'd be all over the trip. But those are the people who would appreciate it the most don't you think?

The biggest issue is talking my wife into leting me go!

-steve albini

You'll be issued a DOD(Dept of Defense) passport, and given the civilian rank of GS15, the highest civilian rank going. Be prepared to be saluted alot when you're papers are checked. One benefit is this rank allows you pretty much unrestricted access to anywhere, good and bad. I found airbases (Navy and AF) to vibe most facinating. Pilots love to show off their planes, I got to fly an F-18 simulator, and gt upclose and personal with some serious war machines.

Another advantage is you can buy at the officers PX. Think aobut this on the last stop of your trip, as electronics in particular are dirt cheap.

The food is another thing...sometimes palatable, often repulsive. Whenever you can grab some fresh fruit or easily portable veggies, carrots, celery etc., do so. Always have water with you.

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

Lot's of great info guys.

Love to hear from anyone who's been in pretty hostile locations...

-steve albini

Originally posted by gearmike:

Phil, I'll give you one guess on who it might be with...

{gots to keep it on the down-low}

Drawing a blank here buddy - you've worked with a lot of heavy cats, so it could be anyone. Shoot me a PM and let me know if you'd like, and I'll keep it quiet. :)

BTW, got your phone message... I'll give you a call later. :wave:

Well Phil,

Let's just say you did a little guitar tech'ing for them recently...

-steve albini

Cool! DO NOT MISS THIS OPPORTUNITY! The benefits outweigh the risks, IMO.

Having said that, are you single, Mike? (Sorry, I forget if you've mentioned any significant others.) That would be my only concern, if there are kids involved. Otherwise, do it, own it and you'll have what may be a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Or don't, and call me so I can convince you I'm up to the task so you can recommend me. ;):thu::D

As Jeff and Dak mentioned, I accompanied a local Nashville rock band, Mink, to Kuwait, Qatar, Oman, Bahrain, Afghanistan, Pakistan and the Arabian Sea aboard the USS JFK in March of 2002. In fact, the band was in Bahrain, an island off the Saudi coast, setting up for their first show of a tour on Sept. 11th and were stranded for a few weeks.

We were more than a bit apprehensive when we landed in Kuwait, but to their credit, the Army, Airforce, Marine and Navy and MWR reps took great care of us. If you'll be on a USO tour, I imagine you'll be even more pampered.

Phil said it best. You will never work in front of a more appreciative audience than members of the armed forces in areas like Iraq and Afghanistan. Frankly, they're amazed that anyone who need not be there would volunteer to entertain them. The outpouring of support from these guys and gals for us was unbelievable. And we were nobody. The only reason anyone on the tour knew of us was because at that time, approx. 80% of the forces in Kandahar were from Fort Campbell, 45 min. drive up the road from Nashville.

But everywhere we went the reception was the same.

Just before we arrived in Qatar, an Airforce guard had to kill some crazy local who rushed the outer fence with an automatic weapon. That was about as close as we came to overt danger. Just remember, although we were there 6 months after 9/11, it was before the war in Iraq, detainees held for years in Guantanamao Bay, the Abu Graib scandal or the latest, Newsweek's false report of Gitmo guards flushing a Koran down the toilet. That part of the world is much more dangerous even than when I was there.

Where is spot on. You'll be a GS-15. And in many places they may think you're CIA or special forces if you happen to be walking around without the whole entourage. Those guys are required to wear civilian clothes and wear beards to infiltrate the surrounding areas. It was kinda funny since guys would walk around me some places. All 150lbs. of me. :D (They wouldn't have had they noticed I wasn't carrying a weapon. No one goes anywhere in a war zone without a weapon. It's a general order.)

I'd still go, if I were you.

I'll shoot you a PM.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I was the "crew of one" on a number of USO shows. I say GO! Everywhere you go, the GI's see to your every need. I was in Turkey and Korea, among other places. However hostile a place is, you will be on an American military base, with "most" of the comforts of home. And the guys stationed there will hip you where or where not to go. They live there.
Yes, there's bass in the caR-R-R-R-R

Well... that's not exactly true, where. I took a chick singer and band to Guantanamao Bay that same year. The next winter someone else brought her band to, among other places, within about 10 miles of Iraq. On their way out of the base, their convoy of hopped up Suburbans was met by armed gunmen. The convoy headed right back to the compound they came from... in reverse.

Some Special Forces "cleared" the road for them. ;)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

No, it's not a guaranteed "safe" trip... aircraft crash, people try to blow up bases in war zones... bad stuff like that could happen. But then again, I think you're normally pretty darned safe - you'll generally be very well watched out for / protected. But is there risk involved? Yes. And you have to carefully consider that Mike. But IMO, the risk is not all that great, and the benefits to some good people (including yourself - you'd feel really good about doing this!) definitely are. And besides, the 405 twice a day is probably even more dangerous. ;)

My advice is to do what you're doing - research it carefully, find out the details and ask others who have done it for their opinions. Discuss it with your wife. If you can do it, it's a very cool thing, but it's not for everyone and there's no shame in a married man with a small child deciding maybe it's not a good idea. Either way, I think it's cool that you would even consider serving that way. :thu:

Archived