Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: So what do you smell like?

On Mondays my bedroom smells of garlic and red wine farts, mixed with feet. Even my doggies won't come in the room on Mondays. Same for Tuesdays through to Fridays. It's worse when I have beans and/or eggs. On Saturdays I smell of beer and whiskey. I stink, therefore I am. My wife seems to be immune to my aromas but provides for all of my cologne needs. If, however, anyone can bottle the smell when you open a case with a brand new Strat in it they will be a millionaire.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been told that I smell faintly of old cheese and elderberries. More than once. I'm not sure what an elderberry actually smells like. :freak:

Mostly though, I smell of burned hemp. ;)

I really don't know what to put here.

It depends on what I'm doing.

http://www.scentiments.com/scentiments/assets/product_images/4835.jpghttp://www.pfizer.com.tr/images/ben_gay2.jpg

http://www.beachstore.com/images/sportsunblockall.jpg

I prefer a woman that wears nothing, too. I don't mind a slight hint of a subtle scent, but simply clean is the best.

Perfumes/colognes aren't a natural scent.

One girlfriend had made some custard earlier and had what was like a bit of vanilla/cinammon on her. I didn't mind that at all. It was organic, at least, but a pleasant scent.

I just always liked the natural female. Clean is understandable for both sides of the fence.

Au naturel! Oo-la-la!
One of King Louis XIV's requirements for his female "consorts" was that they not have bathed for a couple of weeks before "entertaining" him!

Yes, I'm in the "cologne camp," but let me emphasize that I don't overdo it. (Sure, that's what we all say, right, scoffers?) My school of thought is: A nice cologne, strategically placed and applied in moderation, is a reward for those who make the effort to get close enough to detect it!

But let's cut to the chase here: This discussion is quickly degenerating into declarations of moral superiority on both sides that could soon get ugly. When the truth is somewhere in the middle: The extremes on both sides leave something to be desired! http://www.h2ssafety.com/images/defendair_gas_mask.jpg

"If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." - J. R. R. Tolkien

I've not ever been a big cologne fan; I wear it even less than I ever did before...maybe twice a year?

I can't even remember the scents I used to wear...Farrenheit was one, for sure....there was another one in college that had a very clean scent to it, very light; famous name, can't remember it...these days, in the winter it's Geoffrey beene's 'Grey Flannel' and in the summer it's 'Grass' by GAP (probably not even made anymore).

Big bottles have always puzzled me, as there shouldn't be anymore than four drops applied--one on each wrist, and one behind each ear. Ergo, a bottle should theoretically last a lifetime. I used to get those little sample tubes, y'know, the ones in the spine of the foldup card? And those would last a long time.

If it ever becomes legal to hurt people who use a third of a bottle every day, leaving a trail of gagging people, elevators full of asphyxiated passengers, and their goddamend drugstore Polo all over the gas pump handle for me to spread all over my steering wheel, then look for me on the national news.

As a kid, I remember Dad wearing Old Spice (which I always liked, and still do), and some oddball scent called 'Hai Karate', which was compounded by the fact that this was the era of the shave cream heaters, the energy-wasters that heated your can of _____ up so you wouldn't have to suffer the horrifying sensation of shaving cream that was room temperature, god forbid.

The amount of smells forced upon our daily lives is frightening. Between dryer sheets, Irish Spring, and cologne, it's a wonder any of us can breathe.

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Most of the time I have this warm, sun-kissed smell to my skin, can't explain it really, but others who have smelled it agree, it is just a pleasant skin smell.

I go totally au naturel.

I do not use deodorant most days, because for whatever reason, I rarely get any of the "funk" most people seem to get, even after a day or two. Weird but true.

I like other people au naturel too. I think the smell of a woman's day-old unwashed scalp is simply heavenly, capable of triggering a deep emotional and visceral response.

And tastes too...damn, the human body is like the ultimate there, absolutely sublime.

As it concerns colognes and parfums: I almost universally dislike most men's fragrances (which is OK since I would never use them), and the degree to which most people bathe in the stuff is nauseating. If I can smell you at 2 meters, then you have a problem!

Originally posted by offramp:

Big bottles have always puzzled me, as there shouldn't be anymore than four drops applied--one on each wrist, and one behind each ear.

+1. Back of the knee isn't bad either. ;)

Then again, that is why parfum comes in small bottles. Only the watered down (literally) stuff, like colognes, etc., come in larger bottles.

Originally posted by offramp:

Ergo, a bottle should theoretically last a lifetime.

Theoretically, yes, but since parfum is very much something borne of an organic source, it changes with time, like wine, and sometimes that is not always for the better.

I really appreciate the art and science of making parfum...it seems to be a creative version of going outside and smelling the flowers and plants, and then making a recipe, no? I like the art and science of creating 100% plant-based incense too.

If a mate decided to use parfum, that would be OK, but I like it when one has to be very close, very intimate, to be aware of it, and I would like it only if it was a once-in-a-while thing.

Women's parfums that I think are tops:

Chanel Nos. 5, 22

Eau de Cartier

Jil Sander No. 2 (not made anymore, I don't think)

L'Occitane Eau des Vanilliers

Vera Wang

Jean Patou Joy

Cacharel Anais Anais

Annick Goutal Les Nuits d'Hadrien, Eau d'Hadrien, Passion

Guerlain Mitsouko

L'Artisan Parfumeur Paris La Chasse Aux Papillons

What can I say...I love flowers and almost all that comes from them. ;)

cheers,

aeon

Go tell someone you love that you love them.

I smell like this cheap MEGA-HOLD

I know the stuff :thu:

I like fruit scents on a woman, like strawberry or apple.

How about woman scents on fruit?

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

I don't wear perfume on a routine basis; mainly used when romantically entertaining someone special that shows extra attention when I wear a nice fragrance. I usually will just use pleasantly scented shower gels. When I do wear perfumes, I apply a small drop behind each ear, one beneath my hairline on the back of my neck, a drop on each wrist (sometimes), and a single drop between my breasts. Too much is repulsive...

The scents that I like when I do use them are

White Diamonds

Passion

Oscar De Laurente`

Chantilly

Channel No. 5

I like using the fruity scented shower gels... or baby powder/oil scents.

Whenever I'm planning to wear perfume, I do not use a scented shower gel or scented soap outside of the fragrance that I intend to wear. Sometimes the scents you bathe in can cause the scent of a perfume to sour.

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

Originally posted by John Sayers:

Asians say they can smell the dairy products we consume.

Dairy does change the smell and taste of a human being, no question.

But so does meat.

And goodness gracious, the taste of a smoker is... :eek:

And no, I am not Asian. ;)

cheers,

aeon

Go tell someone you love that you love them.

Asians say they can smell the dairy products we consume.

Hmmm....

How can i ask this as benignly as possible...

Anyone else notice that people have an "ethnic smell"? Not good, bad, or otherwise, just "noticeable"?

I repair a lot of computers throughout the day, and without looking at their name or any other information, i can tell you the following things about them just by the smell that comes out of the back of their computer when i first fire it up:

1) Ethnic background

2) Approximate size of the household, or approximate age if it is a one or two person home.

3) What kinds of pets they have, and how many

4) What room the computer is in (basements and kitchens are dead ringers, as are laundry rooms)

5) How many packs a day they smoke :mad:

6) Roughly how relatively *clean* their house is kept.

I make a mental note of all of these things (and a few others) and compare notes with reality by looking at them and their car when they come to pick it up. I surprise myself and my co-workers at how often i'm right. :D

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Originally posted by aeon:

I really appreciate the art and science of making parfum...it seems to be a creative version of going outside and smelling the flowers and plants, and then making a recipe, no?

You should really read 'Jitterbug Perfume' by Tom Robbins. Not only a good fictional read but gets into the art a bit too.

Originally posted by Ani:

When I do wear perfumes, I apply a small drop behind each ear, one beneath my hairline on the back of my neck...

That's interesting talking about where you put it. I worked with a Gay keyboard player for ages that swore you should put it on pulse points like your wrists, high up on the sides of your neck etc.

I guess your heartbeat sends the scent out into the room...

Originally posted by DC:

Originally posted by Ani:

When I do wear perfumes, I apply a small drop behind each ear, one beneath my hairline on the back of my neck...

That's interesting talking about where you put it. I worked with a Gay keyboard player for ages that swore you should put it on pulse points like your wrists, high up on the sides of your neck etc.

I guess your heartbeat sends the scent out into the room...

I don't know anything about the pulse points, but I place drops very sparingly in the places I mentioned for a reason. I like it when a guy pulls my hair back and nibbles on my earlobes and kisses or gently bites my neck. I place the drops in out of reach areas to where he's not going to taste them, and also for him to get a better smell of the fragrance, he has to explore the area a bit more. ;) It's very sensous when a man nestles his nose around your neck and into your hairline; especially if he has a few day old beard or a mature beard.

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Originally posted by Prague:

I prefer a woman that wears nothing.

I'm with you on that one Prague! :wave:

Ok, I apologise to the female units on this forum. That was quite chouvanistic. :(

Cologne - nothing here. Don't like perfumey stuff. Sometimes when out shopping, a woman will walk by and I'll just about gag on the perfume she's wearing. Holy crap, just shower regularly. You don't need toilet water to add to the smell polution.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

I am allergic to many perfumes and prefer that people around me dont wear any. My scent is limited to my shampoo (and I am bald) and whether or not I take a shower after exercise.

I had an assistant that used to be in competition with her boyfriend on which would wear the most perfume or cologne. She never could understand the difference between someone being allergic to perfume and someone not liking the smell of perfume. When I would complain she would tell people that I did not like the smell of her perfume and for some reason would think I had to be joking. One day I finally told her not to come into my office until she stopped wearing perfume. I have met a few other people who think allergies are chosen and people complain about perfume only because they do not like the smell of it.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I had an assistant that used to be in competition with her boyfriend on which would wear the most perfume or cologne.
The only way to wear a perfume or cologne is to where you have to be right up on top of a person to be able to even catch the slightest hint of the fragrance. If you can smell the fragrance in passing by or when merely walking into the same room, and even worse yet, the scent that lingers after one has left the room; the person has applied TOO MUCH!!!

For the "D :eek::eek:D" that said women only wear perfume because they smell bad.... well for your lack of knowledge, and more than likely your lack of experience with the opposite sex, applying perfume to an already stinky body will only make the stinch worse. Perhaps you should be a little more selective in where you go to meet your women and be more careful in choosing the type of women you connect with. Perfume has nothing to do with, nor does it play a part as a determining factor in feminine hygiene. Cleanliness is KEY!!!

Back to the allergies bit, I know that heavy use of perfumes or colognes can cause asthmatic patients or heart patients to have seizures or palpitations; even some aeresole disinfectant sprays can have adverse effects on some people with medical conditions. I don't doubt the fact that you say you have allergies at all.

To me, the workplace is not somewhere to wear perfumes and colognes.... although, there are men and women both that think they have to shower in the stuff daily prior to exiting their home. :rolleyes: IMO, if you gag on the smell day in and day out; where is the romance in applying a dab here and there on a special outing?

Archived