Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Using Reason Solely

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While I would hardfly say that it's my sole sound source, I've done many projects using only reason. I have about 100 commercial refills, not including the ones I've converted from other formats.

"For instance" is not proof.

Not as a "sole" but as my main, yes.

Love it. Lots of ReFills, some converted, some original, some made by my own.

The application is named "RELOAD" and you can get it from propellerhead's website.

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

I have used Reason a lot in the past, and have done in excess of 20 gigs in europe with it ReWired to Ableton Live on my humble laptop... not a stability problem in sight! these days, now back in Australia, im enjoying Battery more as i realised i was only using Reason for particular exploits... some Refills ive purchased are okay, but most are rubbish - typical problem with sample compilations.

A friend has written the music for a pop singer recently and used the process to trial reason 3.0 out and raved about the voicings of the preset upright bass... i didnt believe it was from Reason but it was... so the program is coming along nicely. As ive mentioned though, im trying to move on from it. Heres what i like about it though:

NNXT... just a great sampler unit. a shame that everything cant be automated/mapped but enough can. indiv outs are great... nice to rewire

ReDrum... sample start and length and pitch are essential tools... great to automate. channel 8&9 exclusive is a great tool, and one that can be exploited by loading vocal hits.

Envelope controlled filter... very subtle but once you unlock the theory behind it it can be a fantastic mangling tool. forget the ridiculous attempt at a vocoder, this is a great tool.

NN16... load in one sample, use a matrix to trigger it but draw in a full complement of single triggers (ie, no tie lines) and then automate the sample start knob... hard to describe but you can get "1980's akai" style timestretch sound by doing this...

mostly though its the stability and reliability. in the years ive used it, since version 1.0, its never gone spastic - although i hate how slow the Open can be on indiv unit sample search interfacings. in any case, i still use the MPC template i made for the NNXT to let me use my MPC to logically trigger the NNXT, among a massive amount of refills ive compiled i might publish one day.

ps, this program might have been called "Radium" at one stage, if the Props humour had of held out... Radium were a prolific cracking group of the 90's and a staple crack of Rebirth for an entire generation of young hopefuls... kind of funny now i own all my software i cant use the Radium cracked Mods i like back in the day :P

Archived