Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

beatles tape loops and treatments

What tape treatments did the beatles do ?

How did they loop different speeds together with a different

song tempo?

if a song is 60bpm how can you have really slow 20bpm and fast

80bpm tape treatments and edits.

What edit tricks did the beatles do ?

what about doing ADSR editing on audio attack,decay,sustain,release editing?

or did they just cut and slice like shuttering effect tape edits?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just picked up a book about Abbey Road Studios, and it talks a bit about the tape tricks they did, especially with songs like "Tomorrow Never Knows". They had several tape decks going, changing tape tension by holding pencils against the tape and what not.

The main editing "trick" that is attributed to George Martin, with respect to the Beatles' work, was on "Strawberry Fields". Martin remains quite proud of that one, where they did the song several times, in different tempos and keys, one arrangement with only the band, and the other orchestral. Martin was able to slow one half of the song down, speed the other half up, and bring them into not only the same key, but the same tempo.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by Tedster:

"Strawberry Fields". Martin remains quite proud of that one, where they did the song several times, in different tempos and keys, one arrangement with only the band, and the other orchestral. Martin was able to slow one half of the song down, speed the other half up, and bring them into not only the same key, but the same tempo.

That was the ultimate stroke of luck. Tracking a whole step lower and slower than the other take a whole step higher and just enough faster where when George slowed one tape down and sped the other tape up, the tempos and keys matched.

Reminds me of a blurb I read about Julian calling his dad when he was learning guitar and asking John about a chord in Strawberry Fields. Lennon grabbed a chord book and looked it up because he had no idea and quoted the book to his son. Just weird really.

If you read the anthology you will find that Paul was actually the Beatle who was into loops and things of that nature. He had a couple of tape machines in his house and he would create thngs and bring them in to George Martin.

I don't know what kind of machines were used but I believe they do speak about this in length in the Abbey Road Studio book.

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

actually when i was at a conservatorium of music studying we set up a "beatle-esque" tape loop which was pretty amusing, using two tape decks, some pencils and a few loooooooooong tape loops... various configs achieved various results, from a simple slapback style overdub delay to a bizarre dub effect. it was a good exercise in any case, and certainly something one takes for granted in these electronic days... the simple fact that being creative back then meant using a lot of physical space as well as tools and time.

Originally posted by Jotown:

If you read the anthology you will find that Paul was actually the Beatle who was into loops and things of that nature. He had a couple of tape machines in his house and he would create thngs and bring them in to George Martin.

I don't know what kind of machines were used but I believe they do speak about this in length in the Abbey Road Studio book.

I think they had the same portable machines at home. I remember something about removing the erase head to enable "overdubing" of layers to the same track. I believe I read (long ago) that John made the loops for Tomorrow Never Knows this way....or maybe it was Revolution #9, or both....I don't know...

Experimentation was way fun back in the days of steam-driven tape machines... :D And I have to hand it to the Beatles...they fueled the fire to find odd ways of doing things, or silly things to achieve odd effects. Once one heard them experiment, it was like "I never knew you could do that! Let's do some more!!!". :D

In his book 'All You Need Is Ears', George Martin tells about a trick he did while scoring the Yellow Submarine soundtrack: You may recall, there was this bad critter in Pepperland who looked sort of like Big Bird with a trumpet bell/ vacuum cleaner snout who sucked up everything on the screen and then reached down to the corner of the screen and sucked up the whole screen too. (Sort of like an animated black hole) Well, in order to score the soundtrack for this sequence (probably about half a minute) Sir George had a copy of the animated film track made to play backwards including the SMPTE stripe. Then he composed and recorded the music score to be in sync with the backwards-playing video. That made it possible to eventually play the music score backwards in perfect sync with the forward-playing video, as it appeared in the movie.

:idea::D

Originally posted by Christopher Robin:

Originally posted by teh dri:

drugs are bad... mmmkay?

Maybe YOURS are... ;)
Acid loops?

Stoned in a Pond

Yorik

Stone In A Pond

"Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on."

Originally posted by DC:

That was the ultimate stroke of luck. Tracking a whole step lower and slower than the other take a whole step higher and just enough faster where when George slowed one tape down and sped the other tape up, the tempos and keys matched.
I hope he didn't use "luck". All you'd have to do is record a piano playing "D" quarter-notes, then play the tape back and slow it down until the key matches "C" (or wherever you want to go), then record the musicians at that tempo in "C". Simple physics! ;)

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Originally posted by Botch.:

Originally posted by DC:

I hope he didn't use "luck". All you'd have to do is record a piano playing "D" quarter-notes, then play the tape back and slow it down until the key matches "C" (or wherever you want to go), then record the musicians at that tempo in "C". Simple physics! ;)
Botch...in your analogy you say "Slow it down and then record the musicians at that tempo and key"...problem is, the musicians were already recorded for both halves...he was trying to get around having to re-record them. It was the ultimate stroke of luck that both already-recorded halves matched.

When seeing my Waveform in protools how can i do some Waveform

editing like tape editing cut it up into pieces?

What Waveform Editing do you know?

Any Waveform editing tricks?

What is a Waveform Montage?

How to make Waveform editing loopers?

How to Make Waveform Envelopes? Which do you do? or know about?

How to do ADSR Waveform editing?

Originally posted by walters:

Read it for me and write it out for me also

I'm convinced now you are a:

http://eqlive.station.sony.com/images/concept_art/troll.jpg

Jesus Is Coming, Make Music, Get Ready!

Originally posted by StoneinaPond:

Originally posted by Christopher Robin:

Originally posted by teh dri:

drugs are bad... mmmkay?

Maybe YOURS are... ;)
Acid loops?

You smoke cracked software?

(ok that was a poor attempt i know...)

Originally posted by Anderton:

<>

That removes any shadow of a doubt whatsoever about Mr. Walters.

ANd I was feeling sorry for him :rolleyes: The solution is in your hands... :thu: I know you'll do waht's best for this community ;)

Jesus Is Coming, Make Music, Get Ready!

Archived