Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

As the "American Idol" turns

I guess it's more than obvious their PR dept. is in overdrive and slightly more clever than Maddonna's in using the network news.My question is,why are the network news channels (especially competing ones)open to such frivolous nonsense? Ratings?
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Alndlnsta's A-Unit:

I guess it's more than obvious their PR dept. is in overdrive and slightly more clever than Maddonna's in using the network news.My question is,why are the network news channels (especially competing ones)open to such frivolous nonsense? Ratings?

Of course it's ratings. I think it's obvious that network news is about one thing. The editors that pick the stories that run definately know the science of how to get folks attention/ratings. Their livelihood depends on it. The real question seems to me is why is human nature so open to and anxious to explore our sleazier, negative and even criminal tendencies?

Another question that facinates me is how celebrities in particular can seemingly abandon all sense of reason and common judgement and risk their whole careers and reputations by making some of the most unbelieveable choices imaginable? Bill Clinton, Jesse Jackson, Marion Barry, Michael Jackson, Pat O'Brian, Paula Abdul, Martha Stewart...to name just a few. These folks have sold a tons of tabloids and kept ratings high for many a network news program. Let's face it, how many people are going to switch the channel to a PBS program about polar bears when all this juicy sleaze is being broadcast on all the major networks?

Coincidentally, I just noticed that even Oprah is airing a show today about husbands who cheat on their wives. Sounds like a Jerry Springer segment to me, I guess her ratings must be slipping. :D

Originally posted by lrossmusic:

Of course it's ratings. I think it's obvious that network news is about one thing. The editors that pick the stories that run definately know the science of how to get folks attention/ratings.

Fair enough,but does all 4 major networks have to embarass themselves by putting the so called Paula Abdul tryst as their lead news story? I think the PR people representing entertainment are too powerful when it gets to that point.I remember everytime Madonna was gearing up for a tour their would always be some crap about her getting the Catholic Church mad in some way,although there never was an official statement from any representitive from the church ever(obvious PR crap no different from AI's PR),but at least it didn't make the lead story on network news.This is truly absurd and embarrassing at the same time when made up PR crap is our lead news story parading as news,and it can only get worse from here.

Originally posted by Anderton:

It's ironic that one of the best sources for real news is Jon Stewart's fake news. Go figure.

Agreed, I find I get a more accurate picture of things through his satire then I do watching any other American news broadcast.

Of course, I've also been spoiled by living in a country that has CBC News . Solid National and International newscasting :thu:

Cheers!

Spencer

"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way....BRUTALLY!!!!"

People using their influence in the entertainment industry to have sex with an upcoming young entertainer wanna be.... what's next? Cross Atlantic air travel?

Sheesh...

Who is surprised (or cares) about this "story" anyways....

There is no substitute.

You'll be happy to know that from what I've heard, the ABC show tanked in the ratings.

Besides, I've slept with Paula Abdul too. No big deal.

Yes, but did she buy you your very own cell phone?

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Originally posted by Spencer Crewe:

I've also been spoiled by living in a country that has CBC News . Solid National and International newscasting

I wouldn't suppose they have any info/confirmation regarding legitimacy of the Catholic Church/Madonna fiasco would they? For years now I can't seem to get an official word. :rolleyes::D

Originally posted by Spencer Crewe:

It's ironic that one of the best sources for real news is Jon Stewart's fake news. Go figure.

Agreed, I find I get a more accurate picture of things through his satire then I do watching any other American news broadcast.
:thu:

The Daily Show rulez! :cool:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Archived