Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I actually met Peter Rivera, the drummer and lead singer (one of those rare cases where the drummer was the lead vocalist) a couple years ago. He was touring with an all-star band...one of those deals that included Mike Panera of Iron Butterfly and Blues Image ("Ride, Captain, Ride"), and the keyboard player/vocalist from Sugarloaf ("Green Eyed Lady"). After the show, they took time to come out and talk to the fans. Rivera seemed like an affable sort of chap that enjoyed meeting the folks that dug Rare Earth back in the day. Mike Panera was a nice guy, too. Brought his family with him, seemed chatty, had his daughters helping at the t-shirt booth and such. The Sugarloaf guy was talented. And a jerk.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by nhcomp45@aol.com:

Quarryking, do you have the album with Get Ready which is about 19 minutes long. Exellent drum solo and very good Hammond solo. The drum sound is the best I've heard on vinyl, Paul.

Amen to that! :thu:

I think they had a hit song with "I Just Want to Celebrate" as well, and did nice cover versions of "Tobacco Road" and "I'm Losing You".

One of the first caucasian bands signed to Motown.

I think their version of "Get Ready" is better than the Temptations version.

YMMV.

"Politics are like sports, where all the teams suck"

Originally posted by nhcomp45@aol.com:

Quarryking, do you have the album with Get Ready which is about 19 minutes long. Exellent drum solo and very good Hammond solo. The drum sound is the best I've heard on vinyl, Paul.

Yeah have the LP with the 19 min. version and have another album of their's called "Ma"...i think again on LP...

And yeah.... easily one of best bloody drum sound i've heard on vinyl

Vinay Vincent,

BASE Studios

"Live Jazz friday nights at The Zodiac Bar"

Originally posted by Tedster:

I actually met Peter Rivera, the drummer and lead singer (one of those rare cases where the drummer was the lead vocalist) a couple years ago. He was touring with an all-star band...one of those deals that included Mike Panera of Iron Butterfly and Blues Image ("Ride, Captain, Ride"), and the keyboard player/vocalist from Sugarloaf ("Green Eyed Lady"). After the show, they took time to come out and talk to the fans. Rivera seemed like an affable sort of chap that enjoyed meeting the folks that dug Rare Earth back in the day. Mike Panera was a nice guy, too. Brought his family with him, seemed chatty, had his daughters helping at the t-shirt booth and such. The Sugarloaf guy was talented. And a jerk.

I saw that band also. In Reno, Nevada for a Harley rally about three years ago and I spent some time talking to Peter. The bass player was the former bass player from Cannibal and the Headhunters..one hit wonder "Land of 1000 Dances".

They were called the "Legends of Rock" I think, and did all their individual hits including Green eyed Lady, I just want to Celebrate, Get Ready and a couple of Mike Penera's old hits. Great band, the crowd of about 5,000 loved them and everyone was singing along.

I believe Peter Rivera was replaced in Rare Earth by a drummer named Frosty (who played with Lee Michaels) and a new lead singer who's name I don't know.

Rare Earth was a great band.

Mark G.

"A man may fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame others" -- John Burroughs

"I consider ethics, as well as religion, as supplements to law in the government of man." -- Thomas Jefferson

Yeah, GZ, I believe his name was Ito...an Asian guy (the bass player). Good bassist.

Cereal, I think there are several of those bands touring...the lineups vary, but they usually have some cool people. Looks like recently Peter Rivera has toured with a lineup that included Spencer Davis, Pat Travers, "Dangerous Dan" Toler (of the Gregg Allman Band), Leslie West, and others...

Go here: http://www.rockforever.com

This was an '03 tour...but, I'm sure there are other bands out there comprised of former members of bigger acts.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by timrocker:

The cover band I'm in does "Get Ready". It never fails to bring people out to dance. After 2 years of covering it, I still like it. Yup, our drummer sings the lead on it. Coincidence?

Tim, I may have a gig for you. email me at gzsound@hotmail.com.

Mark G.

"A man may fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame others" -- John Burroughs

"I consider ethics, as well as religion, as supplements to law in the government of man." -- Thomas Jefferson

The 'other' singer in Rare Earth was Jerry LaCroix (who also played tenor sax and sang with Edgar Winter's White Trash). Rare Earth's original claim to fame was being the first white group signed to Motown (their label Rare Earth Records) was a Motown subsidiary).

Any other bands with this kinda sound and feel that u folks know of?
How about the Temptations during the era when they had their hits with "War" and "Cloud 9"? I never heard a whole album by them, but when I was a kid, I thought it was the same band doing "Celebrate" and "War", and those were two of my favorite tunes for what that's worth.

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

Archived