Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The offical who thinks Ashlee sucks poll.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I stopped to castigate every artist who sucks I'd never even have time to post on bulletin boards, let alone earn a living.

But I did think it was really lame she agreed to blame her band for the gaff on SNL, which I did think was funny... but sad. And I thought SNL management was lamest of all for having canned music in the first place and then trying to lie about it (by saying they'd never had canned performances before).

Originally posted by theblue1:

I thought SNL management was lamest of all for having canned music in the first place and then trying to lie about it (by saying they'd never had canned performances before).

Really? The technicians for SNL could have been blindfolded during the soundcheck and told to hide in the basement so they wouldn't know one way or the other.It could happen.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

It's interesting. My daughter asked for the CD this birthday. I've heard most of the album and it really does suck. I don't mind most of what my kid wants to hear. Even the manufactured stuff like Lindsey Lohan can be a least interesting to listen to. My daughter wants to hear it... I can learn a few production tricks. We might pop it in while driving around.

But Ashley?

There have been no further requests from my kid to hear Ashley wail. It's pretty bad.

BTW, that Fionna Apple stuff sounded cool. I just heard the first cut and it's great. I love Jon Brion's work, I'm assuming it's him too. :thu:

I'm not much for polls, they're popularity contests. So far, Ashley isn't very popular with real musicians. :)

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

where02190:---->sucks, has no talent, no artistic skills.

Angelo----->i never heard a full CD of Ashley, you think it really is that bad? Is she worster then Kyle Minogue or can that not be compared? You see, i'm out of puberty since 40 years, and therefor not fully understandable for me .

i have a eleven year old son, and i never know what's next in his demand for music. At the moment he likes Aerosmith.

-Peace, Love, and Potahhhhto

Originally posted by Alndlnsta's A-Unit:

Originally posted by theblue1:

I thought SNL management was lamest of all for having canned music in the first place and then trying to lie about it (by saying they'd never had canned performances before).

Really? The technicians for SNL could have been blindfolded during the soundcheck and told to hide in the basement so they wouldn't know one way or the other.It could happen.
You're right.

I shouldn't be so quick to rush to a cynical judgement.

:D:):D

Wife and I liked her as an aspiring young actress in her role on 7th Heaven. Can't really vote in the poll. We just don't watch or listen to the sources where one might see and hear her or others like her I guess.

William F. Turner

Songwriter

turnersongs

Sometimes the truth is rude...

tough shit... get used to it.

Live vocals to track with a band for show only is the norm for broadcast music these days. Some acts (such as Lenny Kravits) actually have dummy backline with empty amp heads and cabs for such events. Sad sin't it? Unfortunately, broadcast airtime is so reliant on advertizing time, every second litteraly counts. In addition, a track or track to live vocals ensures the content of the music to a certain extent, and saves on setup and rehearsal time, which can often be critical to touring acts.

Acts rehearse for such shows, to it appears to the average listener they are actually playing, and of course there are dummy mics to add to the illusion.

Another advantage is audio quality. Artists have prepared surround mixes for such events as well, and it takes obviously far less time to set up for this than an actual band playing live. consistancy in audio.

I don't agree with it at all, but unfortunately it's not my (or the viewers) decision, these are made in the boardrooms and are based on dollars not artistry. Perhaps someday real people actually performing live will become the standard again, but I doubt it.

There are of course exceptions like the Grammies, but for the most part what youa re seeing is Memorex. there is even the new breed of engineer known as the audio sweetener, who's job is to cue canned audience reactions to these events(as well as many sporting events) to give it that larger than life sound.

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

Originally posted by where02190:

Live vocals to track with a band for show only is the norm for broadcast music these days.

I won't disagree that. I would disagree that SNL does that on a regular basis. Just remember, the band tried to change the song once Ashlee started doing the ho-down (pun intended). Obviously the band was indeed live. If there ever was a reason to have an entirely canned performance, Ashlee would be that reason!

When the Scissor Sisters were on SNL, I did notice a 24-track recorder (Mackie, I think) in a rack, with a continuously pulsing track on it. Perhaps a metronome? Perhaps playing to a few tracks? Or making sure the arpeggiator and delays were in time... you be the judge!

not to derail this topic but i am 100% positive that U2 played live on snl. there were mistakes, monitor squeals, off pitch singing. it was wonderful, very powerful performance in its unperfect way. there may have been some kind of click for the drummer but we never got a great shot of his head to see any phones or not.

Originally posted by Bunny.:

Originally posted by Dan South:

I don't know. Does she?

If not, she can practice at my house until she gets it right.

;)

Now, just imagine how humiliated Craig would be if he walked into a public library and saw that post on the computer screen! :wave:
Huh? What are you guys talking about? I said that she could come over to my home studio and practice singing until she gets it right. I wouldn't want her to be embarrassed on national TV, or anything. What did you THINK that I meant?

;)

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Originally posted by not Cereal:

there may have been some kind of click for the drummer but we never got a great shot of his head to see any phones or not.

Everyone except the bassist is on IEMs, and have been for almost a decade now, Futuresonics to be specific.

On SNL, the mics are used for the live audience, and (unless the band is truly unable ot fake it good or is a rap act) are used for the live audience. Inotherwords, the live studio audience hears the band actually playing, but the listening audience hears the tracks with a live vocal. (In the case of Ashlee her entire performance was at that point on multitrack, her mic went live only between songs at her shows.)

This give the broadcast a redundant backup should there be a major issue (such as there was) like the multitrack fails. Unfortunately it's pretty hard to cover something like "oops, wrong tracks!!!" so the inevitable happened.

And no, not all the acts on SNL are track, but a good portion of them are. U2 was most likely live, they have a thing for not faking it, which I admire, even though I'm not a big fan. Remember acts rehearse for these tracks shows, and know the music precisely. It's alot easier to pose if you don't actually have to be playing the exact part, but just look like you are. In addition, the SNL staff are very good at knowing what to show and what not to show to give it away. Audio sweeteners add the right audience reaction, and the real audience is blended in when the band is done. Occaisionally you'll hear the transistion between sweetener/track and teh live room if you listen carefully, especally to the older rerun shows.

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

Archived