Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Rutles 2 "Can't Buy Me Lunch" remake (?) of Rutles "All You Need Is Cash" is what I rented today. I was a fan of the first film, but this is a complete waste of time, unfortunatley. Eric Idle is a complete embarrassment. No 'new' footage of the Rutles, or even music parodies (as I expected). All the group's footage is reused from the first film and nothing new as a 'retrospective' that this could really be, missed the mark entirely. This is the worst film I have seen this year to date. In fact the last 20 minutes is a complete rippoff from the first film.

Why was this made? I just do not get this at all and I am a Beatles fan, Python fan, etc. This just plain sucks. Anyone else get fooled into renting this mess?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can imagine. I've seen some horrible films from people with a history of good or at least entertaining ones. Sorry.

Strikes me that when bad films are made (as well as anything) it's due to people trying to "cash in" on prior inspiration, and it usually sucks.

One example that comes immediately to mind in the "comedy/parody" genre...I like a lot of Leslie Neilsen's comedies. I like that bust-a-gut comedy style. But, a long time ago, I made the mistake of watching "Repossessed"...a supposed spoof of "The Exorcist". For a supposed comedy, it was scarier than "The Exorcist"...scary in the sense that it sucked big time.

Don't know why...all you can do is chalk it up to experience.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Yeah, we were lucky enough to catch some of it at our local record store where they were showing it. Even the record store owners told us we shouldn't bother buying it, even though they sell it there. :D

I don't get it either. :confused: Normally everybody concerned has much higher standards than that... and the original film was one of my favorites ever.

Haven't seen it but you've made me not want to.

And now for something completely different:

Confuse a cat limited...

Seriously, I bought an old 80s Talking Heads film (DVD actually) 'True Stories' in the cut out bin at Wall Mart for less than five bucks. It's a cool movie! Check it, totally weird, almost a hipper David Lynch or something style with subtle humor, mind blowing visuals in places (check the fashion show) and John Goodman too. Completely surprized and happy with this one.

On the other hand...

Broadway is buzzing about a Python romp called "Spamalot," starring such notables as Tim Curry, Hank Azaria and David Hyde Pierce.

N.Y.Times Arts Review

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2005/03/18/arts/18spam.1.390.jpg

"If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." - J. R. R. Tolkien

Originally posted by karmadude:

I am glad it wasn't just me. It is not even a sequel, as it was billed. It is a sort of remake which is the artistic 'crime'.

Well for me, it had been probably 15 years since I saw the first Rutles film, so when the family watched Rutles 2, we thought it was very good.

Some of the celebrity interviews are hilarious.

I agree though, there is no new "archival" material.

I'm going back to watch the first one now.

I think you have to watch them in reverse order. :D

Archived