Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Now this is ridiculous

Some of you may remember that I was having issues with my router dropping VPN connections every few minutes.

So I replaced my router with a new Linksys model. Now I cen't get onto eBay. For instance, I wanted to see the DeLorean for sale, clicked the link and it just sits and spins saying "waiting for ebay.com". Any idea what might be causing this? It's the only URL I've had a problem with so far.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've now come across about a half-dozen sites that I can't access. The strange thing is that my wife's laptop can access those sites with no problem using the wireless access point (which is plugged nto the router) while neither of the PCs in my studio can get to ebay, my bank's site or a few others.

Anybody ever run into something like this? I think I'm goin' nuts. I've checked every security setting that I can find but nothing works. I tried Linksys support but the Indian guy was useless.

Paul,

I have a feeling that you're above and beyond all the silly questions I would kneejerk ask you about this....

Firewall? (computer, router, ISP)

Traceroutes?

DNS Resolution?

Spyware? (failed re-direction)

Virus? (eating up bandwidth by scanning)

Meatloaf Sandwich?

....and stuff...

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Meatloaf sandwich?
**Standard Disclaimer** Ya gotta watch da Ouizel, as he often posts complete and utter BS. In this case however, He just might be right. Eagles may soar, but Ouizels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Originally posted by phaeton:

Paul,

I have a feeling that you're above and beyond all the silly questions I would kneejerk ask you about this....

Firewall? (computer, router, ISP)

Traceroutes?

DNS Resolution?

Spyware? (failed re-direction)

Virus? (eating up bandwidth by scanning)

Meatloaf Sandwich?

....and stuff...

Lessee... I have the firewall built in to XP. I've tried both enabled and disabled. I have the SPI firewall in the router. No viruses. I've run Spybot and Adaware. No problems found. Not sure about DNS resolution or Traceroutes? No Meatloaf but surely some stuff...

Does the machine get its IP address and stuff automatically by DHCP, or did you manually assign it?

What does it show for nameservers? You can usually right-click on the connection in Network Settings and select "Status" and it will tell you its DNS settings.

It could be that the router is handing out bogus DNS servers that won't resolve some hosts, or any hosts, and Windows is falling back to (incomplete) cached info.

If you don't already know, Domain Name Service (DNS) is the big phone book of the internet... you type in "www.musicplayer.com", which your computer doesn't understand, so it queries a DNS server for its unique IP address (217.169.56.113). It then send an http request to that IP address, and the webserver there sends the www.musicplayer.com homepage. (it's a lil more complicated than that, but you know...)

Another quick test for that is if you can load or ping ebay by its IP address, i.e.:

http://66.135.192.87/

If that succeeds and "www.ebay.com" fails, the it's a DNS issue. If both fail, then... i dunno for now..

As far as traceroute... if you open up an MSDOS prompt, and type:

tracert 66.135.192.87

it should show you either the hops to the ebay webserver, or at least as far as it can get. This might help to isolate *where* the problem is, but don't be surprised if you get slightly different results every time you do it, esp. if you do it from different computers.

This may or may not tell us anything useful, because your router may block traceroute packets even if it's letting http packets through.

Now, let's see if i've actually helped you or confused you more ;)

WWND?

Originally posted by phaeton:

Does the machine get its IP address and stuff automatically by DHCP, or did you manually assign it?

I don't have a static IP and use DHCP.

What does it show for nameservers? You can usually right-click on the connection in Network Settings and select "Status" and it will tell you its DNS settings.

The DNS server is my router. That's about all I can tell you.

It could be that the router is handing out bogus DNS servers that won't resolve some hosts, or any hosts, and Windows is falling back to (incomplete) cached info.

This sounds like the most appropriate diagnosis. The question is, why does it affect two computers and not others?

If you don't already know, Domain Name Service (DNS) is the big phone book of the internet... you type in "www.musicplayer.com", which your computer doesn't understand, so it queries a DNS server for its unique IP address (217.169.56.113). It then send an http request to that IP address, and the webserver there sends the www.musicplayer.com homepage. (it's a lil more complicated than that, but you know...)

Another quick test for that is if you can load or ping ebay by its IP address, i.e.:

http://66.135.192.87/

I tried this and it timed out.

If that succeeds and "www.ebay.com" fails, the it's a DNS issue. If both fail, then... i dunno for now..

As far as traceroute... if you open up an MSDOS prompt, and type:

tracert 66.135.192.87

it should show you either the hops to the ebay webserver, or at least as far as it can get. This might help to isolate *where* the problem is, but don't be surprised if you get slightly different results every time you do it, esp. if you do it from different computers.

This may or may not tell us anything useful, because your router may block traceroute packets even if it's letting http packets through.

I tried this and it gets as far as the router. It then hangs and says "hardware error". Now, given that it works on other PCs, do you think it could be a hardware issue involving a couple of bad ports? But why just a few URL/IPs?

Now, let's see if i've actually helped you or confused you more ;)

You have been a huge help, Thank you! It's been several years since I learned this stuff and since I never use it, I don't what the heck I'm doing. I appreciate your patience and help.

Try rebooting everything, router and both PCs.

Go to all of your PCs, laptop included, open a DOS.Command prompt, and type ipconfig /all. Write down the setting for each PC on a piece of paper. Compare each ones IP address, all should be on the same subnet (ie: 192.168.0.x) but the last number should be different for each. All machines should have the same subnet mask and the same default gateway. All machines should be using the same DNS servers.

"Politics are like sports, where all the teams suck"

Originally posted by E-money:

Try rebooting everything, router and both PCs.

Go to all of your PCs, laptop included, open a DOS.Command prompt, and type ipconfig /all. Write down the setting for each PC on a piece of paper. Compare each ones IP address, all should be on the same subnet (ie: 192.168.0.x) but the last number should be different for each. All machines should have the same subnet mask and the same default gateway. All machines should be using the same DNS servers.

I've done this a couple of times now. The IPs all line up correctly. Thonly thing I haven't tried is shutting everything down, disconnecting it all and plugging the different devices into different ports on the router.

The DNS server is my router. That's about all I can tell you.

Even when assigning DHCP, i tend to want to manually set the DNS on the computers, and usually i put in the DNS provided by my ISP.

What do they all have for DNS (the ones that work, and the ones that don't)?

How about if you bypass the router and connect the computer directly into what's on the other side of the router (cablemodem or otherwise)?

I have a linksys router also, and i should have looked around in mine last night. Unfortunately I won't be anywhere near it again until Sunday night :(

WWND?

Originally posted by TheWewus:

Probably a stupid question but did you check the settings under Internet Options-Security, in the Control Panel? Might be something funked up there.

Oh yeah, that was my first thought and I've been through every option there.

Like I said, I'm going nuts over this. I'm beginning to believe the Indian guy that it's a hardware issue.

Originally posted by Doug Osborne:

Nobody has asked if you have cleared your cache

IE|Tools|Internet Options|Temporary Internet Files|Delete Files

Can you access these sites from another browser?

Good thought but yes, I cleared the cache. I've tried it with Firefox and IE and had identical results.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I'd give an update to this issue in case anyone else has a similar problem.

After going round several time with Linksys tech support, I finally swapped out the router last night and still had the identical problem. I then went back to Linksys and escalated the issue to level two, then level three tech support. After about three hours on the phone and chat areas, it turns out that it is a known firmware issue (it would be nice if the level three guys would tell the level one & two guys) with the latest release that screws with allowed packet sizes. I downgraded my firmware by one release and the router works beautifully. In fact, even with two firewalls enabled, my connection is faster than it's ever been.

I'm glad you got your problem solved. When reading this thread, I was convinced that your problem was with a firewall, possibly related to a certain release date of the firewall software. I had a similar problem a while back. I could not upload photos to my eBay listings. Turned out I had to downgrade my firewall release and it works fine.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Could it be an upgrade at either your provider or EBay and your provider hasn't refreshed its DNS resolutions? I had a problem very similar to what you are describing, after musicplayer was redesigned. My internet worked fine but wouldn't log on to musicplayer, the answer was what Phaeton is talking about. Manual DNS number, somebody emailed me a local DNS number that was refreshed and wallah.

Nevermind you seem to have solved the problem.

Together all sing their different songs in union - the Uni-verse.

My Current Project

I get the same problem about every 9 to 13 months. Replacing my CAT5 cables gets me back up and running. Go figger! Kcbass

P.S. anybody want to buy some used CAT5 cables, cheap?

"Let It Be!"

Archived