Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

so what is allowed ?

so what is the current FCC language laws for US television? i dont agree or support censorship. but i'm surprised what i'm seeing on comedy central at the moment.. it's 1:20 am in the morning so i'm sure this has something to do with it. but i wasn't aware that all is allowed to be said/written on the screen.

i dont have a problem with it, it's 1:20. i just thought that "bitch/ass" was about the limit. so far i've seen/heard just about everything. i mean everything. in the last 10 min on basic cables comedy central. did the laws change? i remember when it did a few years ago. if so it'a about time. it's been this way in egnland for post primetime for years.

"Any experiment of interest in life will be carried out at your own expense."

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Broadcast and closed circuit (subscription) have different standards and ratings.

I have heard on Broadcast PBS:

"Shit"

"G-Damn"

"You got to be "shitting me"

F'ing (that is f'ing great (uncensored)

The above is outside of FCC broadcast standards but PBS gets a break..

Cable, however is closed circuit and viewer discretion is the viewers responsability and the ratings for programming are posted in the immediate subcode of the start of a program and encoded for viewer checking purposes.

Remember the V-Chip?

VL14 is about the roughest that will fly on broadcast TV in the US.

As time goes by, you will see it get more lax for broadcast. NYPD Blue said "asshole" for 12 years!

What blows my mind is the 24/7 "blood, and guts" but show one female boob and it is "mass histeria" That in itself is rediculous.

I'd rather watch boobs anyday than violence.

Bill Roberts Precision Mastering

-----------Since 1975-----------

thanks makes sense.. i just haven't seen it this blunt on basic cable. i thought this was reserved for premium programing "HBO,ect". it's a great south park episode by the way about people freakin out about censorship. kids with "vchips" in there heads to make up for lack of parenting.. there typical little inside jabs at political current events. good stuff..
"Any experiment of interest in life will be carried out at your own expense."

Here, Comedy channel cost 9,99 a month extra. perhaps your provide simply has a wider range. I can't even get the sci fi channel unless I step up 30 more a month and with internet and basic, I am close to 100 now.

I watch less than 5 hours of TV per week..honestly.

I tune into:

Nova

Frontline

Austin City limits

That is about it really.

DVD is where it is at for movies.

Bill Roberts Precision Mastering

-----------Since 1975-----------

I routinely hear words I wouldn't have heard awhile ago. The sex scenes are getting more graphic. The first episode of the new "Law and Order: Trial by Jury" had a rather intense one. No nudity, but the couple was bouncing up and down and moaning. I had to check and make sure I was watching network TV rather than a rented movie.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

The FCC only has authority over "broadcasts" that use the public airwaves. Cable television is delivered via a closed circuit system, and immune to FCC control. The same theory applies to satellite radio, hence the high profile announcement by Howard Stern that he is moving to Sirius at the end of this year.

There are also some exceptions related to the accurate reporting of news events (hence the PBS issues) A character in a sit-com cannot say "fuck, I need to take a god- damn shit" but if a reporter is interviewing a newsworthy individual, like Osama Bin Laden, and he says "fuck, I need to take a god-damn shit" it can be aired uncensored.

The FCC's censorship rules have never made much sense to me. You can say boobs, tata's, headlights, etc., but you can't say tits. You can say screw, boff, bone, etc., but you can't say fuck. You can say poop, massive, dump, etc., but you can't say shit. You can use any number of euphemisms for both male and female genitalia, but don't say pussy or dick when referring to genitalia. Of course, shock jocks like Don and Mike, the Greaseman, Howard Stern, et al, have developed their own counterculture language to get around the censors, but anyone over the age of eight knows what they're talking about.

Just because the seven dirty words are considered profane, the words that are allowed are no less profane in the context in which they are used.

My gear: http://fendercaster.freeservers.com/guit3.html

If you own two Lexus cars, do you have Lexi?

What I don't understand is the common use of the word "fricking" in pre-watershed sitcoms. Everyone knows this is synonymous with the F word. If the FCC were really on the case, "fricking" and all other F word synonyms would be banned too.

If that were to happen, would today's batch of script writers be able to find real words to substitute? I somewhat doubt it...

:DTR

Originally posted by :::Eric:::(RhythmInMind):

so what is allowed ?

Draw a line at the goats!

-

I think people should be free to engage in any sexual practices they choose; they should draw the line at goats though.

Sir Elton John

-Peace, Love, and Potahhhhto

Originally posted by Angelo Clematide:

Originally posted by :::Eric:::(RhythmInMind):

so what is allowed ?

Draw a line at the goats!

-

I think people should be free to engage in any sexual practices they choose; they should draw the line at goats though.

Sir Elton John

Naw, make that boots and sheep. :eek:

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Archived