Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

words that have lost their meaning......

I can think of a few.....

-Love

-Amazing....everytime someone says the word "amazing" i want to puke. Besides "love" it's the most overused word I hear.

-When someone dies I hear (or read on this board): "that sucks" all the time. So if I have a flat tire or my string breaks on my guitar, that sucks too. But can we really compare the two??? I hope not.

That's all i can think of right now. Do these words and others really have multiple meanings or are we not using the correct phrases to describe how we really feel?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Literally"

As in the phrase I hear all the time, "I literally laughed my ass off."

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

*uber*

It means nothing to me as an adhock adjective. My desire to punch people in the face who use this word is strong - my will power is only slightly stronger :evil:

Cheers!

Spencer

"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way....BRUTALLY!!!!"

"Affect" & "effect" (in a non-technical sense); both these words are almost completely cast aside today in preference for the misuse of the term "impact".

What are the two most useful words in English?

"Stuff" & "thing"; pronouns of completely fluid meaning.

inflammable (which is the same as flammable...which is a made-up word to prevent people from killing themselves)

bastard

bitch

niggardly...this word actually got the comptroller of Washington DC canned, even though he used it completely in context.

owned (or in gaming circles, pwned :freak: )

"For instance" is not proof.

Originally posted by ryst:

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

I LOVE this thread. I think it's AMAZING.

HONESTLY, I think that the THE thread is going to EFFECT people in a positive way. And if it doesn't, then THAT SUCKS. ;)

Phil, go do what you do best....being a "gay, rock and roll, recording engineer"

:D

Hey, what do I know? I'm just a RECORDING ENGINEER! ;)

Actually, I am... does this thread mean I can't refer to myself as such anymore? :confused:;)

'Sorry'...now thats something I hear all the time but does the word reflect the true meaning.

Its like, for example 'I'm sorry to hear your best mate looks like a camel' but is that sorry, yes you agree he is a camel or sorry as in yes, thank goodness its not me...total codswalap (new word in my vocabulary of late :D )

Wheres the true meaning of any word gone?

oh and lets not forget words and sayings thats are as bad like

'Hes got beef with you'

'Shes so butters'

'Give me a hammond' (fag in english)

'true say'

'Word!' hur!! :confused:

'Thats buff'

DAm, half of these are so alien to me, I cant even make out if its english we speak anymore or something ancient...Its bad enough living in East London and hearing cockney slang!

Archived