Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Grammy group just butchered "Across the Universe"

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good intentions. Terrible and I mean terrible execution. Actually, I really was baffled at how such talented people could not nail an incredible song.

"All conditioned things are impermanent. Work out your own salvation with diligence."

The Buddha's Last Words

R.I.P. RobT

Originally posted by Geoff Grace:

Originally posted by djwayne:

Highlight performances for me, I think it was Ja Lo and some other guy doing a duet in a bedroom setting in Spanish I think...I couldn't understand the words but the performance was fabulous.

That was her husband, Marc Anthony . He's an expressive and talented singer. :cool:

Best,

Geoff

Yep that's him...I haven't been following either's career, but certainly did enjoy their performance last night. Thanks for the info.

Living' in the shadow,

of someone else's dream....

Sad! I now this song somehow or do they try to sing a John Lennon song?

Who is this guy with the red hairs who has a timbre like Bowie?

How is it possible that bubblegum gets each season worser? I guess i'm grown out of this sort of music, even there are artists on the stage mimicking puperty who have the same age as i. For me it makes more sense to buy a liter of milk then a article of one of this artists.

-Peace, Love, and Potahhhhto

Originally posted by pseudonym:

So, djwayne, no pretty statues for Ashlee? You must be a broken man over such injustice!!

I noticed Sir Paul wasn't there either.

You're a dumb ass.

Living' in the shadow,

of someone else's dream....

I thought the show was better than usual. Right after an artist performed, they would then introduce the next presenter or artist, which I haven't seen done before.

Good tribute to Janis Joplin w/ Joss Stone and Melissa Cue Ball.

I even enjoyed "Across the Universe," though it is always problematic when you put together a bunch of voices that cannot possibly blend. But it was for charity, and they seemed to have fun with it. Stevie Wonder blew some sweet harmonica.

They even had a good Gospel section, and it's weird that I should say that being a non-Christian. But it was done well and with feeling.

Originally posted by Bunny.:

Well, I'm sensitive to this issue because I participated in the production of a charity song for tsunami relief (on this very website); however, the backlash against these endeavors is a bit overwhelming to me.

I think next time a disaster of this proportion strikes, I'll just donate money directly, and forget about trying to make any kind of creative effort.

Hey Bunny, it doesn't matter... people will still bitch. :D They'd bitch even if you actually went to Indonesia and handed out food and medicine. Somebody would point out that there were even MORE suffering people in India, or Thailand, or whatever, and why aren't you THERE? Etc. It doesn't matter how much you do, someone is ALWAYS going to think you should have done more, or different. Really. But I really hope you don't let that stop you.

As far as charity performances, I generally support the effort with my dollars if I can, but where the performance is concerned I'll give my opinion like I would any other piece of music - I might like it or I might think it sucks. That doesn't diminish what I feel about the effort itself or the spirit in which it was undertaken.

Changing the words to "something's gonna change our world" is one thing. But they didn't mean to change the verses but some of the artists flubbed them - singing the same sentence twice in a row for example.

I do appreciate artists raising money for charity but when the performance is that sloppy, it makes me wonder how much they actually care about the charity if they didn't even seem to care enough to perform it well or practice it beforehand.

BTW, the "redhead" was Scott Weiland of Velvet Revolver (formerly of Stone Temple Pilots). I thought he sounded like Bowie, too.

aka riffing

Double Post music: Strip Down

http://rimspeed.com

http://loadedtheband.com

The announcer TOLD the audience that "history is being made". Yea, right.

Reminds me of Lionel Ritchie on Johhny Carson's TV show.

As his song started he said "Here's the hit song off my new album, which will be out in 2 weeks.

Clairvoyance at it's self-serving best.

Archived