Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

if i had a nickle everyttime.

"A huge mountain of cow manure is seen smoldering at a feedlot near Milford, Neb., Tuesday, Jan. 18, 2005. The estimated 2,000-ton pile of burning cow manure spontaneously combusted about two months ago and continues to smolder despite attempts to douse it."

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/050128/480/ah20201280551

"Any experiment of interest in life will be carried out at your own expense."

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by fantasticllama:

Topic: if i had a nickle everyttime.
...Tedster posted, I'd have over $1000! :eek:
YIKES!

Perhaps I should offer a deal...for every nickel you all send, I promise to NOT make one post. :D

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Brings new piquancy to the phrase "A flaming pile of..."

Anyhow, I remember both our own and our next-door neighbor's compost pile catching fire at different times when I was a kid. It was my introduction to the notion of spontaneous combustion.

Once was enough for my old man and he used the opportunity to move the clothesline in back of the garage where the pile was. But our nextdoor neighbor was pretty old school (I think he was born in the 1860's or early 1870's) and wouldn't give up his compost pile until he was just too old to go out and put out the fire with the hose. Once the Fire Dept. had to come out (and cited him) he finally gave it up.

This was smack dab in the middle of Orange County, California, in the now quite urban (if not necessarily urbane) city of Santa Ana, but back in the 50's.

Archived