Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

2 Belated Birthday Wishes!

Martin Luther King Jr.

Born January 15, 1929

Died by gunshot at age 39 on April 4, 1968

Mahatma Gandhi

Born October 2, 1869

Died by gunshot at age 79 on January 25, 1948

Both these great men of the non-violence movement are said to have known their fate in advance but overcame their fear and strived to make the world a better place in spite of everything. It sure would be great if the rest of the world could feel the same way about it. Unfortunately though it's highly debatable whether non-violent non-cooperation could work in present day situations like what happened in Rwanda in 1994 involving the mass genocide of nearly 1 million and which much of the world is just finding out about. Sorry ...the political forum would be best for that type of discussion... anyway

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YA!!! Martin

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anybody here seen my old friend Martin?

Can you tell me where he's gone?

He freed a lot of people, but it seems the good die young,

I just turned around, and he's gone.

Kinda ironic. Moses never got to the promised land, either, you know. He led his people out of Egypt, and wandered in the wilderness for forty years, and just before they got to the promised land, Moses died. But the people got there.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by Tedster:

Kinda ironic. Moses never got to the promised land, either, you know. He led his people out of Egypt, and wandered in the wilderness for forty years, and just before they got to the promised land, Moses died. But the people got there.

"...I have been to the mountain top and I've seen the promised land...I might not get there with ya...but I want you to know tonight....that as a people we will get to the promised land... and so I'm happy tonight, I'm not worried about anything,...I'm not fearing any man...mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord..."

...taken from a speech by King in Memphis days before his murder in which he mentions his awareness of threats made against his life before even coming to Memphis.

Archived