Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

This is a good time for some PC-Mac questions.

Will the Mac Airport work with a Linksys Wireless G Broadband Router used with Windows PCs?

Will an iPod currently set up for connection to a PC also connect to a Mac?

Software like Reason, Ableton Live and NI Komplete 2 works on both Mac or Windows and all give you at least 2 installs in the license. Can those be spread across platforms?

Can a firewire HD be moved back and forth between a Mac and Windows PC to store files from each?

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Rabid:

Will the Mac Airport work with a Linksys Wireless G Broadband Router used with Windows PCs?

I believe so, but I cannot 100% xonfirm this.

Will an iPod currently set up for connection to a PC also connect to a Mac?

Yes.

[QBSoftware like Reason, Ableton Live and NI Komplete 2 works on both Mac or Windows and all give you at least 2 installs in the license. Can those be spread across platforms?[/QB]

Yes.

[QBCan a firewire HD be moved back and forth between a Mac and Windows PC to store files from each?[/QB]

Yes, provided it is FAT32 formatted from the PC.

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

Yes to all of those. Technically, the iPod documentation states that moving an iPod between a PC and a Mac will cause it to be reformatted/erased, but many have said that they've successfully used iPods with both platforms, so long as it was originally formatted for PC.

Try at your own risk, of course.

Guys, maybe you can help? I know nothing about Macs, never used one even once, so please humour me if I sound like a complete dumbass!!!

My girlfriend is looking to buy a Mac, has used them at work but never owned one and doesn't really know what is available.

She needs it to be able to run Quark/ Indesign, Photoshop, Dreamweaver and if it had a DVD burner, that would be a welcome bonus!!! Also, would like to be able to use external speakers for music.

Have had a look and seen powermacs, imacs and emacs, is one particularly better for this stuff than the others?!?!? Or this new minimac thing???

Thanks for any help!!!!

Fa Fa FA Fa fa fa fa fa FA fa FA FA

She should realy get the new Mac mini. It's probably all she'll need; at 1.25 Ghz (minimum) it's the same speed as my 2-year old G4, stick more RAM in it and she'll be good to go.

Believe me when I tell you I'm soooooo tempted to get one of these things, if for no other reason than the amount of space it doesn't take up. I could rackshelf-mount this thing and have it sit right next to my mic preamp.

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Originally posted by where02190:

... Yes, provided it is FAT32 formatted from the PC.

WRONG.

it can be hfs or hfs+ if you install macopener 6.05 on windows.

it can be NTFS if you run panther.

if i couldnt format FW drives as a mobile PT work drives i wouldnt touch'em. those need to be hfs or hfs+

Originally posted by Rabid:

Software like Reason, Ableton Live and NI Komplete 2 works on both Mac or Windows and all give you at least 2 installs in the license. Can those be spread across platforms?

Hi Robert.

It is technically possible, specially with REASON, to install it in as many machines as you want since the authorization only requieres to type your serial number and the original CDs, which are ocasionally required to start the program. It will run perfectly on MAC and PC.

LIVE is quite different since it requires you to authorize it online and they track how many times do you register it. I guess You can install it a maximum of 3 times -ya know, when formatting your HD, getting a new computer to work with, etc-. It will run perfectly on MAC and PC.

However none of those licences are supposed for using the program at the same time, if you know what I mean... but yes, it is possible to install it in several machines at once.

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Archived