Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Adobe Audition

.........or any software like that brought an acute awareness that I BETTER HAVE A BIGGER MONITOR TO WORK ON! Dang that shit is small to look at. JEEZ! :)

Anybody use this thing?

Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use Sequoia but I saw the latest version of Audition a couple of weeks ago at one of the theaters. We were playing with the delete/replace function to eleiminate coughs and such from live recordings. Pretty nice, and given that the same function is a $3,000 plug in to Sequoia but it comes free with Audition.....

I've been using two monitors for about ten years. I wish that I had a third, just for TotalMix.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Yes, I use Adobe's Adition 1.5 on a 17" monitor, works great for me. 19" would be okay too, but when you get into bigger monitors, it becomes a little bit of a challenge as your eyes have to hunt for things.

Living' in the shadow,

of someone else's dream....

Originally posted by djwayne:

...when you get into bigger monitors, it becomes a little bit of a challenge as your eyes have to hunt for things.

I've been using dual 20s for a long time. You get really used to it really quickly, and the advantages are great, too. (I have tracks spread across the width of both monitors. Really helps reduce the navigation clicks.)

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Audition... I'm using a single 17" LCD (1280*1024). I would like to go dual so I can load up all the graphical panels. 12 or 14 tracks gets a little tight on the Multitrack mode. The rest is OK.

"It's all about the... um-m-m, uh-h-h..."

Gene,

Have you, by any chance, attempted to change the screen resolution? I normally keep mine at 1024 x 768, but sometimes when things get WAY TOO small to read I drop the size down to my "old peoples" magnified screen of 800 x 600. ;)

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

i use two 17" viewsonics on my G4 @ 1024 x 768 85mhz.

i have 2 switchboxes so i can run my dual monitor 9600/g3-500

and also my PeeCee.

there is a NTSC tv off to the right for FCP and the PeeCee uses it as well.

i cant stand single monitor setups. gotta have mix window and edit window in PT up at the same time, and i dont see how you can use FCP without at least TWO monitors, better yet add one NTSC box.

(with props and thanks to Nawledge for the original post)

Here's a little software package that will allow you to have two monitor screens running using only one monitor:

http://www.fatfreesoft.com/2desk.php

Just tab between the screens - hold the tracks on one screen and the toolboxes on the other, or whatever configuration floats your boat. I've used dual monitor setups for years at work and home (AutoCAD and drafting at work, playing with mixing at home), and I've come to the conclusion that you can NEVER have enough monitor space!

Peace,

Tim from Jersey :thu:

Play. Just play.

I just went back to a 15" LCD from a 15" CRT and this LCD. Gave the CRT to my wife as part of her present this year (a G3).

In some ways, I can't say I miss the 2nd screen; I find it's forcing me to be more efficient in how I work.

I will be either switching to a 19" LCD or adding another 15" in the near future, though.

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

I just reviewed the Matrox TripleHead board for EQ. They have a model called the P750 that drives three monitors, but DON'T get it! Instead, get the P650 DualHead and the TripleHead upgrade kit. It performs the same as the P750 BUT has an oversize, quiet heat sink as opposed to a fan (as used on the P750). It does cost $30 more, $259 list as opposed to $229, but not having a fan is a Good Thing.

You can read the rest of the story in the March issue of EQ magazine. I'm currently using a Matrox G450 with dual 17" LCD flat panels (sooo much better than CRTs), but usually stick to one screen. I use two screens when there's lots of waveform editing to do, or a project with lots of soft synths and plugs.

Originally posted by Geenard:

Thanks all, goin to purchase a larger monitor, probably one of those flat panel's for obvious reasons. Lots of learning for this old analog dog.

Yes, Audition 1.5 is a very comprehensive program, lots to learn, but once you learn it, you'll love it, it's loaded with fantastic features that'll help you record and polish up your music like you never could before, fantastic program !!

I wish I would have had this program 30 years ago !

Do your homework and practice with it alot, and you'll get better and better in no time. You'll be glad you did.

Living' in the shadow,

Originally posted by TheWewus:

posted by DjWayne:

You'll be glad you did.
As in Jail Bush Now? Hey Johnny?
Sorry Wewus, you're mistaken. I am not Johnny, and have no connection with him. I try not to get involved with politics, so don't put me in that category, especially with tormenting the President of the United States wth derogatory remarks. I don't need guys with sunglasses hanging out at my house.

Living' in the shadow,

Originally posted by Anderton:

I just reviewed the Matrox TripleHead board for EQ. They have a model called the P750 that drives three monitors, but DON'T get it! Instead, get the P650 DualHead and the TripleHead upgrade kit. It performs the same as the P750 BUT has an oversize, quiet heat sink as opposed to a fan (as used on the P750). It does cost $30 more, $259 list as opposed to $229, but not having a fan is a Good Thing.

You can read the rest of the story in the March issue of EQ magazine. I'm currently using a Matrox G450 with dual 17" LCD flat panels (sooo much better than CRTs), but usually stick to one screen. I use two screens when there's lots of waveform editing to do, or a project with lots of soft synths and plugs.

I also use a G450 - - I've found that some plugins (especially the ones that go to great lengths to look like actual hardware) are almost impossible to read with my far-sighted 50 year old eyes. A lot of VST and DX plugs are really bad about this, especially softsynths & sampler plugs.

So I have a 14" monitor set to 800x600 on the 2nd output. Whenever I need to actually read a plugin screen, I move it to the 14" low-res screen, leaving the DAW or wave editor on the 19" high-res screen. This has worked great for me. Some plugs are so bad I have to switch to 640x480 to read them.

It would really be nice if there were an option for high-contrast background with simple fonts on these plugs. But what I have works.

I wish I could tell the plugin designers "When I really want that vintage hardware look, I'll buy vintage hardware." :)

• 1 month later...

Craig: would there be an advantage to the new Matrox card over a G450 + another PCI card running a 3rd monitor?

Not that I have any of that, but I'm thinking if the G450 comes down more in price I may be able to afford one, and CRT's are getting pretty cheap as well (LCD's are still a luxury to me). Thinking about cranking up the 'ol Ramen noodle diet to get another CRT and maybe one of those cards used if I can find one.

Are there any issues with the G450? Seems like I remember hearing good things about it when it debuted, but I've been a recluse in that respect lately...

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

It's nice to hear Audition getting some well deserved kudos. Considering the price, it is a very feature rich program and the noise reduction alone is worth the price.

I don't have the latest upgrade, but it has a frequency editing program in it that will allow you to find and remove any single sound in a stereo file...like a kick drum hit, bell hit, etc. and NOT effect the rest of the instruments that are in that same spot...pretty cool.

Mark G.

"A man may fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame others" -- John Burroughs

"I consider ethics, as well as religion, as supplements to law in the government of man." -- Thomas Jefferson

So... if you're running dual monitors... do you have to use/power up both of them, or can you use just one?

And, as far as I can tell my motherboard has a Universal AGP slot (no keys). Will the P650 work in that type AGP slot?

GY

Audition is great! bin using it for years! (when it was CoolEdit) its ok on Duel monitors, but not neccasary really, one is probably easier just for the distance your eyes have to travel on two monitors. i also use PremierPro, and you really do need two monitors with that program.. nothing would get done using Premier on one monitor!

you can just add a graphics card to your computer, and just use any old monitor as your second one. thats what i did, one's a 17" and ones an old 15". the extra space is always handy!

So... if you're running dual monitors... do you have to use/power up both of them, or can you use just one?

you can turn one off if you like, while you're working, but stuff'll pop up on the other screen and you'll need to turn it on alot to find it.

Archived