Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Just another boring day of sea kayaking

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, I was kinda thinking, I hope the guy in that kayak was someone's fat Uncle Fred...you know, the guy who gets his jollies at the summer pool party by doing cannonballs and splashing everyone who's trying to get a tan. :D
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Well, I think the point is that they are wild animals, and as such, they're unpredictable. Just like any animal. Dogs can be friendly or unfriendly...same with orcas, I would presume. I don't think the orca was trying to do harm, probably more playing, but...if you're in a kayak, you're in the orca's territory. The kayaker didn't seem too bad off once he bobbed back up. I mean, he could have munched the kayaker if he'd wanted to. He settled for a whale of a cannonball.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I was once in a kayak in the aluetian islands. We started paddling toward shore to go for a short exploration of one of the islands. As we drew closer to shore we saw a entire colony of sea otters moving in towards the shore. I mean there were otters everywhere. You saw them in the water next to you, and you could see them popping up in towards the shoreline. Well as I was looking down at a passing otter, I saw all the water underneath the otter start moving. As i focused I could see that there were three or four humpbacked whales underneath my kayak! I really got nervous as I saw the giant white outline of a whales fluke (tail) passing right underneath me, not 10 feet below the surface! If they had flicked their tails to get rid of some errant sea grass, I would have washed up on kodiak island!

Archived