Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hey, let's start a new music genre!

We can do it, people. There are a lot of talented folks here, so this could be really great. The more of you who chime in with good ideas, the better our new music style will be. :)

First off, our new music genre needs its own distinctive instrumentation. Rock has its guitars, hip hop has its turntables and drum machines, and country has its pedal steel guitars and fiddles. I propose the following instrumentation for our new music style:

The rhythm section should consist of electrified tablas, cello, and double bass. No violins or violas, please, we just want the bowed instruments to provide a foundation. You can play a two note power chord on a cello--hell, that's all most young rock guitarists play anyway these days! :mad: If we put hot humbucking pickups on these suckers and play them through Mesa Dual Rectifier amps, they should sound pretty awesome. Also, if you put an electromagnetic pickup under that little metal thingy on a tabla head, I bet that could sound, well, pretty rad!! :)

For a lead instrument, you don't want anything trite and overused like a guitar or a saxophone. I propose the theremin! Let's have lots of hot theremin players! Oh, yeah! :D

Also permissible in the lineup will be Hammond-style organ, becuase, let's face it, that tonewheel sound just fits in with everything--country, jazz, rock, blues, and even congregations of tone-deaf Catholics singing "A Mighty Fortress is Our God!"

Also, all our vocalists should share certain stylistic similarities. The easiest way would be if we only let people with Mexican accents sing. That will make our music seem more unified to the public at large. :o

So does anybody else have any ideas for our new music style? If so, please don't be shy about sharing.

There's just one question in my mind--what will we call this stuff, anyway??? :confused:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not with a Sousaphone with a humbucker on it with a slide like a trombone, played with a cow bladder airbag with resonant drone pipes like a bagpipe.

Oh, I forgot the steam calliope. Need one of those too. :D

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by Tedster:

Not with a Sousaphone with a humbucker on it with a slide like a trombone, played with a cow bladder airbag with resonant drone pipes like a bagpipe.

Oh, I forgot the steam calliope. Need one of those too. :D

:thu: That's exactly the kind of creative thinking I was hoping to see in this thread. I knew I could count on you, Tedster! :)

We need a name for this invention (new genre).

I propose not to call it "music" or as any sub-genres or styles of "music".

Let's call it i.e.:

CHUDWUD

(formerly known as real music)

and anyone up to the specs is aloud to call it CHUDWUD with a license from the CHUDWUD License Board.

-Peace, Love, and Potahhhhto

Originally posted by Angelo Clematide:

chuzz-wazza

i like it, everyone agrees, then let's call it chuzz-wazza.

Wasn't that this band?

http://i.rollingstone.com/assets/rs/176/rsimages_446x195/chumbawamba.jpg

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by TrancedelicBlues:

...So does anybody else have any ideas for our new music style? If so, please don't be shy about sharing...

You'll need a novel notation system if you're gonna have a novel sound and have more than one lead theremin player: Something that on paper looks like a relief map with yesterday's coffee splattered all over it.

Originally posted by Tedster:

... a Sousaphone with a humbucker on it with a slide like a trombone, played with a cow bladder airbag with resonant drone pipes like a bagpipe.

Actually, we need something like this for our new CD. Know where we can find one? :D

I already have a patent pending on the electric kazoo. It's got a FireWire output on it, too. You can buy a $50,000 Pro Tools rig and play your kazoo right into it!

I'm still trying to work around the internal power supply... makes the kazoo weigh like nine pounds, but it has less hum than other electric kazoo designs. Disregarding the fact that kazoos are supposed to hum, my electric kazoo offers a 105dB S/N ratio, as well as -128.5dB EIN. It's perfectly suited for 24-bit/192kHz kazoo recordings.

As of now, my kazoo is built to be compatible with all major DAW applications, but I'm waiting for those companies to finish the drivers to make my kazoo fully functional. Should be any day now...

- Jeff

Whattaya mean no saxophones?

Im not OK with that at all.

In the spirit of synthesizing something new from a bunch of old components....

How about using Eunichs only for Backup vocals.

Any volunteers?

This has the addded benefit of "neutralizing" those pesky groupies.

Check out some tunes here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava

Originally posted by Jardini:

...or we could combine Christmas music and Rap to get CRAP! :idea:

:DTR

Isn't there a Run DMC or a Public Enemy Christmas tune? Starts with a Hip-hopped "Jingle Bells"?

Can't quite remember.....

Cheers!

Spencer

"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way....BRUTALLY!!!!"

philbo_Tangent: Geez, I've always thought that folkabilly-reggae punk would be a good genre...
Laura Love has already done that - and more. Amazing writer, bass player and singer. Not to mention the raps and the yodeling.

OK, so back to this genre we're creating...

We've got instrumentation laid out, now what direction does the composition go?

I suppose that will all hinge on the new notation system - notation systems and the associated theory that forms up around them have a great deal of impact on music written in them.

As I mentioned in the Political forum, I had to break away from there as it was having a seriously negative impact on my mood. I attempted at first to just avoid that forum, but as I found myself hopelessly addicted, I deleted all my shortcuts to the forums and just detoxed for a while.

Today, I woke up and realized that I missed everyone too much and decided to pop back in and say hello.

:wave:

Archived