Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How do you find files on an iPod?

So, I downloaded .wav files to my iPod last night, using the firewire port I just stuck on my Dell. The iPod manual says you're supposed to use Musicmatch jukebox, and it automatically downloads your playlist. So, I saved my files to Musicmatch, and went to the "download to portable device" option. Musicmatch said "No portable device found". :mad: Go into "My computer". It's reading the G: drive as an iPod. Cool. So, I save the .wavs to the G: drive. Sounds fine. Click on the iPod.

Playlist: (empty)

Songs: (empty)

Albums: (empty)

Artist: (empty)

WTF? :mad: The files are on there, according to the computer, which was reading the G: drive and telling me I'd used a nice little chunk of space. How the fark to I find them on the iPod?

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm boinking here to keep your thread up.

I know a lot of Windows users with iPods and maybe about a 1/3 to half of the ones I've talked to use MusicMatch instead of iTunes for Windows. So, hang in there, I'm sure help's on the way.

If you should decide to install iTunes, though, make sure you know the implications. iTunes will reorganize your media files on your HD and re-tag them per its own predilictions. Many people really like the 'iTunes system' but some don't and before they made the options more obvious, a few people had disastrous consequences. But I believe most of that is smoothed up, now, and better documented.

I'd like to have an iPod, too. Even though I'd prefer something that played all the major media types, the iPods seem like the sleekest smallest HD based units. I really considered a Mini for a few hours one day but then decided to wait. Heck, my laptop is with me virtually all the time, anyhow.

Ok... that should give some iPod users a chance to see this thread bobbing up.

Good luck.

Originally posted by Phait:

Perhaps they need to go into a certain folder?

That's pre-effing-CISELY what I spent an hour and a half trying to do last night...and every time some stupid thing would thwart my progress. The thing is, when you call up the G drive on your computer, it shows two folders, calendar and contacts. Great. Whoopee. No folder called "Playlists" to save to. So, me being the resourceful guy I am...I created one. Saved the files to it. Go back to the iPod itself...

Playists... (empty).

That apparently isn't what it's looking at.

:mad:

Tedster, since your computer recognizes the ipod as drive g, does it show the actual files on the drive and can you play them direct from the ipod through the computer soundcard? I've not messed with an ipod yet, but obviously the ipods cpu is looking for something unique that it is not finding. Let me ask you this (even tho I'm sure you checked it already). Is the ipod setup to recognize .wav files? Might be a dumb question, but there may be a setup menu on the ipod so it will recognize the format you have downloaded to it. (I'm just throwing some spagetti on the wall to see if something sticks).

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Originally posted by offramp:

Face it.

Y'all need to get Macs.

:D

Nah, I like real computers.

IMDB Credit list

President George Washington: "The government of the United States is in no sense founded on the Christian Religion."

President Abraham Lincoln: "The Bible is not my book, nor Christianity my religion."

Boy, you're a disgusting cat.

:wave:

Henchman, I've been curious everytime I read something like that: Just what defines a "real" computer?

In Henchman's view, the only "real" computers are those running ProTools.

;)

Dooby Dooby Doo

Boy, you're a disgusting cat.

Henchman, I've been curious everytime I read something like that: Just what defines a "real" computer?

A real computer = the thing I use to prop my door open with. :D

A real computer = the thing my wife and daughter sit at for hours playing Sims.

A real computer = the thing that when the electricity goes out, we feel lost without.

A real computer = the thing we have to upgrade often because technology keeps zooming ahead at the spead of electrons.

A real computer = the thing we spend time on forums with.

A real computer = the thing that some people acutally use for a productive purpose.

That means that it just don't matter if you have a mac or a pc. I consider a pc to be like owning a Harley. You have to appreciate wrenching to appreciate owning a Harley (maybe not so true with the new ones). A mac is like owning a Honda. Just get on it and ride. Personally, I like the wrenching. What good is something if it works all the time? :D

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Originally posted by Dave DRi:

ooooh ive waited years to say this to Tedster....

are you ready? :P

in response to your question....

RTFM!!!!!!!!!!!

AHAHAHAHA!

The online manual says nothing about my particular problem. As usual, it's:

"Troubleshooting:

Power won't come on

Plug it in" type stuff. It also expects you to be downloading regular song files from musicmatch jukebox, which I tried.

At any rate, the *fucking manual* ( ;) ) was of no help.

Archived