Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ghost tracks

hi all, recently discovered on Jill Scot's latest a funny ghosttrack, its located between track 16 and 17 and when it is played, my cd player display track 17 and count from negative up... you can't reach the track with normal track up/down control and it is not listed on the booklet.

My question is : how did they do it?

any guesses / ideas ?

Thanks

Danny

could I have more spelling mistakes...

Rotshtein Danny - Studio Engineer

Jingles show-reel

Visit DarlingNikkie.com To discover the sounds of "Darling Nikkie"(aka Jade 4U). . . .

New exciting project Goddess of Destruction

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The simplest way to add a ghost track is to just place it some amount of time after the track song.

That wouldn't account for how it counts though. I think there was a similar post that gave some other answers some time earlier. You might do a search and if I can find it I'll post the link.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

It all depends on how you put the PQ codes for the start and stop times on a song... you can, with the right software (such as CD Architect) put songs or sounds "in the gaps" between songs and do negative index counter rolldowns... I've done it more than a few times myself. :)

Tom Petty's "Full Moon Fever" has one on it - located where the "side break" would be (if you were listening to a LP or cassette), right before his cover version of "Feel A Whole Lot Better".

Yeah, you can do all kinds of wack stuff with P and Q codes.

But the question is, do you really want to -- and what purpose does it serve?

Maybe it's because I seldom listen to albums in whole blocks, and, even before I switched over to listening off my HD, I used a CD changer to deliver a randomized mix. And most PQ code tricks really mess with that (and often as not with many mp3 renderings when not micro-managed).

Skinny Puppy (I think it was, or maybe Ministry, my noise days memories are pretty much unavailable to me) put out an album (which I have somewhere) that sounded 'normal' (per SP) when played in sequence. But if you put it in shuffle mode you quickle realized that they'd intentionally completely scrambled the songs start and end times so that it would jump erratically from the middle of one song to the middle of another and then around some more. I'm sure they thought it was amusing...

Oh, I don't know... I'm working on a long term project with a guy I really respect a lot (he posts here) and I want to do some PQ stuff with it. The idea is that I want to be able to include little snippets of sounds, talkback conversations, etc. between songs - kind of giving people little insights to what was going on as we were working on this. So if they listen to the album, it will be one experience, but if they just want to listen to track #5 and they cue that up, they just get the song itself without the extra "stuff".

So while I think some of it is overdone, do see where it can have its uses.

Well, I didn't say I want to do it, I was just curious to the way it is done..

I agree it sort of fail the all ghost track idea - if you don't pay attention, you wouldn't notice anything special ..

In this case, it is actually annoying since after this track, you get half a min silence before the next track (an acoustic version of one of the songs)

And phil, the problems with doing those in-between, in my eyes, is that if you do want to play only track 5 and 7, and track 5 has some extra in the end, wouldn't you have to hear those as well?

Ted, thanks - as I help moderate the logic forums over at SonikMatter I find less time to visit other forums, but I was lurking around Phil's...

Jingles show-reel

Visit DarlingNikkie.com To discover the sounds of "Darling Nikkie"(aka Jade 4U). . . .

If you program tracks 5 and 7 into most CD players, you'll get only tracks 5 and 7 and no preroll data... IOW, you shouldn't get the "extra" stuff unless you play the who album all the way through.

The one you're talking about - with the 30 seconds of silence? Perchance is that the 1) last song on the CD and 2) is it "unlisted" on the CD / or packaging? If so, that's often referred to as a "hidden" or bonus track, and IMO, that concept traces its orgins back to Abbey Road and "Her Majesty". IMO, THAT'S been WAY overdone.

You can do it with the start code at the beginning of the 30 seconds of silence (PITA for the listener) or put the code at the start of the hidden track and have the 30 seconds count "backwards" between the two tracks, or you can even append the 30 seconds to the end of the second to the last track, although that option will make the time of that song appear to be 30 seconds longer than it actually is.

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

If you program tracks 5 and 7 into most CD players, you'll get only tracks 5 and 7 and no preroll data... IOW, you shouldn't get the "extra" stuff unless you play the who album all the way through.

interesting... I'll have to check that one out..

in the disscused album (Jill Scot's) the un-listed ghost track is the track between 16 and 17. Track 17 is the last track on the album and listed - the track in between is not listed;

if what you said is correct, then it is an original way (at least it is new for me) to add a ghost track to an album....

it can still confuse listeners (they might not notice it is a ghost and confuse that song to the last song) but whatever...

Ghost tracks are fun , but not a big deal...

in our latest project, I simply added a track of vinyl noise before the 'ghost' track - however we did name both the ghost track and the last track on the track listing...

the constant fight of trying to be original.. :D

Danny

Jingles show-reel

Archived