Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tom Petty/KLOS sued over "Last DJ"

Originally posted by fantastic-hound of the Baskervilles:

Originally posted by Super 8:

Originally posted by Jotown:

It didn't help Mr. Parker that he pretty much copied the song verbatum, but that's another story. :)

Verbatim? Aside from a similar bassline the songs are completely different. Different emphasis, different melody, different chord progressions... They are different songs...
Whoa! Slow down, Super8. I tend to agree with Jotown. Listen to the lead in to the line in Ghostbusters that ends in Ray Parker Jr. saying, "I ain't 'fraid of no ghost." and compare it to the musical bridge of I Want A New Drug. I think there's more than a slight similarity. Add that to the whole rhythm section, melody similarities and the hard evidence that Ray Parker Jr. heard the Huey Lewis song in a mock-up of the movie and you have a pretty strong case for infringement.
Listen to the two songs Super 8. Ray Parker lifted the Bass line, the beat, the chord change for the verse and hook, as well as inverting the sax line hook.

The Huey Lewis, Ray Parker Jr. case was a precedent setting decision. Though Ray Parker did not steal the melody (as had previously been the standard) he did steal significant parts of the arrangment, thus infringing on the SR (sound recording) copyright.

All of that, and prior access as Neil pointed out, led to the decision.

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Henchman:

I remeber when the Huey ewis thing happened. The problem was, that they were supposoed to do the theme song. Then submitted said song, and next thing they know, It's Ray Parker using their song.

Reminds me of the case Tom Waits won against Frito-Lay. They asked him to do a Doritos commercial and he turned them down...so they hired a sound-alike.

Tom nailed 'em for 4 mil IIRC....

Tom Waits for no one. :D

this house is empty now...

Archived