Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wow, very intriqued by these new onyx mixers. With a 1640 especially, I could capture 16 tracks direct to computer.. vs. my current setup of a 1604VLZ + Motu 828mkII, if I were to record a live situation (primary intent), I'd have to do a split setup in order to prevent FOH related EQ changes from going to tape. With the Onyx:

Both outputs (Recording Out and Firewire) are Post-Gain, Pre-Insert, Pre-EQ, Pre-Mute, Pre-Fader. The Main Out tap is Pre-Main Mix fader. This allows for the greatest possible flexibility in both live and recording studio scenarios. When you're using the mixer for live sound, you can record your show without having to worry about changes to the FOH system showing up on your recording.
Meaning I could use 16 inputs in a live setting, no more split setup reduced to 8 inputs only! No more external firewire interface either that's limited to 8 channels.

What else.. interested in hearing differences in the new preamps and EQ sections.

It is bigger.. I currently have my 1604 mounted with the pod facing up, in the top of a gator 10x6 slant-top case.. I don't think I could keep this configuration with the onyx.

With the pod rotated to the bottom of the unit, it takes 12 spaces. The default configuration (pod facing back) is 14 spaces, and the pod facing up (so the jacks are on top) is 17 spaces.
then again, if I no longer needed the MOTU 828, I don't think I'd need anything else racked near it anyway.

There's also the "issue" that while each channel now has a direct out, it's one of those dsub connectors.. then again, with firewire, I can't see me really needing to use them.

hmmm...... interesting! I sense some serious GAS coming on, somebody please help me! :freak:

-Paul

"You look hopefully for an idea and then you're humble when you find it and you wish your skills were better. To have even a half-baked touch of creativity is an honor."

-- Ernie Stires, composer

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Onyx preamps are great - there's nothing in the price range that can compare. I don't have an opinion on the EQ yet, besides to just say that it WORKS. Everything about the board is an improvement on previous models and is ahead of anything else in its class, IMO.
No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

I see everywhere "more available soon" - has the 1640 not hit the streets yet or are people actually using them at this point?

I just got a pair of SRM350's and they were defective (there is a thread "SRM350" in the keyboard forum discussing this) and so I'm a *bit* hesitant to try something brand new from Mackie just yet :)

-Paul

"You look hopefully for an idea and then you're humble when you find it and you wish your skills were better. To have even a half-baked touch of creativity is an honor."

actually a dsub that fanned out to 16 or whatever 1/4 plugs would probably be quite a bit nicer and cleaner than 16 individual plugs.

There's nothing wrong with these 25-pin (?) D-subs unless you're wiring a cable harness by hand, in which case it's a slight pain in the ass.

But the D-Sub snakes are standard from most cable suppliers, and it's a helluva lot neater than a zillion individual cables strewn out the back of your mixer.

- Jeff

I'm very interested in either an Onyx mixer or, if I don't assume I'll be multi-tracking live, the Onyx 8 mic-channel rack. (drool...)

It will output up to 192kHz sampling rates, but I'd probably only need 44.1kHz/24bit. ;) What I really like are the comments I've heard about the Onyx pre's. Now mate them to a wonderful computer interface and.. Yahooo!! :D

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by mound:

I see everywhere "more available soon" - has the 1640 not hit the streets yet or are people actually using them at this point?

Not available yet.

I just got a pair of SRM350's and they were defective (there is a thread "SRM350" in the keyboard forum discussing this) and so I'm a *bit* hesitant to try something brand new from Mackie just yet :)

-Paul

The speakers are not really Mackie - they're a conglomerate of EAW, Mackie, and Chinese manufacturing, as I understand. The Onyx (although also made in China) is a pure Mackie endevour - like the good stuff.
No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

Originally posted by Matt.Hepworth:

...The speakers are not really Mackie - they're a conglomerate of EAW, Mackie, and Chinese manufacturing, as I understand. The Onyx (although also made in China) is a pure Mackie endevour - like the good stuff.

Are you suggesting that Mackie is a better speaker company than EAW, or that Chinese manufacturing screwed the pooch on the SRM's dependability issues? If it's the former, perhaps you should examine which company was/is the high end audio company and which is the bargain basement (now midlevel) manufacturer. :D

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by fantastic-hound of the Baskervilles:

Are you suggesting that Mackie is a better speaker company than EAW, or that Chinese manufacturing screwed the pooch on the SRM's dependability issues? If it's the former, perhaps you should examine which company was/is the high end audio company and which is the bargain basement (now midlevel) manufacturer. :D

Mackie is a mixer company. Reliability from Chinese manufacturing is a big issue, but worse was the fact that nobody has sole responsiblility (or parts) for the conglomerate speakers.

Archived