Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Elton John - Grumpy Old Man?

First his tantrum in Taiwan, now this -

"While collecting a song-writing award from Q music magazine in London, John suddenly launched into a tirade against Madonna when he discovered she had been nominated for Best Live Act.

"Anyone who lip-synchs in public on stage when you pay 75 pounds ($134) to see them should be shot," John said in reference to ticket prices for Madonna's Reinvention tour.

"Madonna, best f---ing live act? F--- off," said the singer renowned as much for his outrageous outbursts as he is for his outlandish outfits."

Is hee too sober? Or too high?

Amateur Hack

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well actually, I commend him on having the balls to say something about artists who lip sync during supposedly live performances.

This is a trernd that has been going on for a while now (Madonna, Janet Jackson, Britnay......) Most in the biz know that these artists are faking it, but the average fan does not.

Thank you Elton for telling the world that the empress has no clothes. :D

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

Madonna's people responded quickly and with diplomacy, with a gentle broadside shot across Elton's bows:

"Madonna does not lip-synch nor does she spend her time trashing other artists," her spokesperson Liz Rosenberg said.

"She sang every note of her Re-Invention tour live and is not ashamed that she was well paid for her hard work. Elton John remains on her Christmas card list."

---------------------------

Who ya gonna believe... Elton or Madonna's spokesperson? Frankly, I agree with Jotown.

Back in the seventies when I played at a theme park, we did much the same thing. There was a band in the pit consisting of drums, bass, guitar, and keyboards. However, the rest of the orchestra (strings, horns, percussion, you name it) had been recorded in New York studios. The backup vocals were recorded too. The lead vocals were live, however. The audience never suspected a thing! Of course, that was the Seventies... at a theme park... I figure most of the 'guests' were zoned out anyway. ;)

Elton's a riot. This is nothing unusual for him. In fact, he's simply trying to maintain his cooky, off-the-wall reputation and keep his name in the news. Of course, if that's not enough for ya, there's always Courtney Love, Billy Joel, and The Dixie Tricks... I mean Chicks.

Heck, it's only rock and roll. Fugetaboutit! ;)

:cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

i'm no elton fan but i applaud that rant.

hey, i'm an ol' timer but i like it real and that is hard to come by w/ rock shows these days of any kind. i mean i was pissed when the WHO started usin backing tapes for that 'tommy tour' or was it the 'whos next' tour. w/ sequencers and synthesizers and backing tracks all the rage "live" on the stage these days, i am hard pressed to see a show w/ *NO* pre processed or pre recorded or pre sequenced or pre taped stuff there. :)

rantover :)

s :cool:

AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

[QBWho ya gonna believe... Elton or Madonna's spokesperson? :cool: [/QB]

Mike McKnight writes a monthly column in Keyboard documenting his experiences running the computers ( :rolleyes: ) for Madonna's live shows, and I could swear he insists she sings everything live. I can't remember for sure, I'll scan thru them tonight if I have some time.

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

I'm a big Elton John fan. He's one of the very few artists who's albums (oops - cd's) I can buy and enjoy every song on them. Most times I end up buying a cd for one or two good songs. Of course, now I find those songs on iTunes, but I'm digressing here. He does seem a bit cranky as of late. Perhaps he hates all women and took it out on Madonna.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Queen used recordings in concerts when they played Bohemian Rhapsody and everybody can understand why.

I was at a Sarah Brightman show last week where everything was 100% live and awesome. A big show with loads of musicians and a big decorum in a huge hall.

I've payed only 40 euro for one of the best shows I've seen.

Madonna lip sincing? If this is true she should be banned from any stage, weird though, for she can really sing very well.

The alchemy of the masters moving molecules of air, we capture by moving particles of iron, so that the poetry of the ancients will echo into the future.

Originally posted by Botch.:

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

[QBWho ya gonna believe... Elton or Madonna's spokesperson? :cool:

Mike McKnight writes a monthly column in Keyboard documenting his experiences running the computers ( :rolleyes: ) for Madonna's live shows, and I could swear he insists she sings everything live. I can't remember for sure, I'll scan thru them tonight if I have some time.[/QB]
What else would you expect him to say!?

He surely wouldn't out his boss, would he? :D

Madonna lip sincing? If this is true she should be banned from any stage, weird though, for she can really sing very well.
I don't think the issue is whether or not Madonna is a good singer. When your show is all about costume changes and choreography it is all but impossible to sing and do an extreme aerobic workout at the same time.

Now Britnay and Janet are another story altogether.

I have to agree with Jotown. (A sure sign 4 hurricaines and Mt. St. Helens being ready to blow again is not a coincidence. Surely the End is near. :D )

I will give Madonna the benefit of the doubt since I haven't seen her show nor worked it. That said, I have serious doubts that she sings everything live. I don't care what shape she's in, that's a hell of a nightly workout on her body and then to have to belt out a song in tune, with power? Not likely.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by fantastic-hound of the Baskervilles:

[QB]I have to agree with Jotown. (A sure sign 4 hurricaines and Mt. St. Helens being ready to blow again is not a coincidence. Surely the End is near. :D )/QB]

Hah....Neil you are too funny. I have actually agreed with you many times, (just not always when I am posting) :D .

So don't climb into your bombshelter yet. I am sure we will disagree again soon.

I hope things are going well in your world.

Hang in there.

Whether Madonna uses trickery for her vocals , I don't know but...........

Our local newspaper photographer was at her concert 2 years ago in Detroit and took her picture. He wasn't affiliated with her and didn't use any airbrush in the photo as you can see !

Dan

http://musicinit.com/pvideos.html

http://musicinit.com/madonna.gif

Originally posted by techristian:

Whether Madonna uses trickery for her vocals , I don't know but...........

Our local newspaper photographer was at her concert 2 years ago in Detroit and took her picture. He wasn't affiliated with her and didn't use any airbrush in the photo as you can see !

Dan

http://musicinit.com/pvideos.html

http://musicinit.com/madonna.gif

Are you sure that's not Ruth Buzzi?!?

http://www.weht.net/pics/buzzi.jpg

How about Linda Lavin from Alice? :confused:

http://www.readio.com/nywindowgallery/movies/images/linda-lavin.jpg

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by shniggens:

First his tantrum in Taiwan, now this -

"While collecting a song-writing award from Q music magazine in London, John suddenly launched into a tirade against Madonna when he discovered she had been nominated for Best Live Act.

"Anyone who lip-synchs in public on stage when you pay 75 pounds ($134) to see them should be shot," John said in reference to ticket prices for Madonna's Reinvention tour.

"Madonna, best f---ing live act? F--- off," said the singer renowned as much for his outrageous outbursts as he is for his outlandish outfits."

Is hee too sober? Or too high?

Elton John is right. Stop fooling people thanks.

Sucking the brain's vacuum

Waiting for the Nuclear Fusion. More energy, less damage.

It's really hard to fathom when someone that rich who has shamelessly reaped so much money and acclaim from credulous audiences and the big hype machine is so very, very dissatisfied so often, with such petty stuff. I mean if he were upset about the destruction of the earth or genocide or you can't get drinking water that isn't poisoned any more, that would be different.

I have to think it's fundamentally unrewarding to be a hollow man like that, one of little integrity and much indulgence. He must know he deserves very, very little of the success that he's had, and that there are many truly great artists laboring in total poverty and complete obscurity. I suppose that must prey on his mind a bit. You'd hope it would, really.

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Originally posted by Ted Nightshade:

He must know he deserves very, very little of the success that he's had

Gotta disagree with you on that one pal.

IMDB Credit list

President George Washington: "The government of the United States is in no sense founded on the Christian Religion."

President Abraham Lincoln: "The Bible is not my book, nor Christianity my religion."

I think Madonna should sing 'Borderline' in a Donald Duck costume.

My understanding is that Madonna does sing live. That is at least based on her little documentary movie, where they followed her on tour. One of the things she was talking about was the stress on her voice, and about her concerns for getting through that night's concert.

People like to slam Madonna for being so great at working the media and manipulating her image, the way she does. But this is the reason she has been able to sustain her career for over 20 years. How many people can remain consistantly on the top of the Pop charts the way she has??? I mean, she's in her mid 40's now -long past her shelf-life-, and even the teeny-bopper queens like Britney cannot take her out. By contrast, look what has happened to Mariah Carey since Britney came along...

I think Madonna deserves some credit.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

I saw Madonna here in New York, and I gotta tell you, for the most part, she seemed to be singing live.. There may have been some numbers where she was lip synching, but I couldn't tell, I think that they were all live... She didn't do such a hot job on "Imagine", so that was definitely not lip synching... She would have done a better job had someone transposed the tune into her key... Anyway, my two cents... As for Elton, he's musically brilliant, but emotionally, there's something haywire in there... :)

... He must know he deserves very, very little of the success that he's had, and that there are many truly great artists laboring in total poverty and complete obscurity. I suppose that must prey on his mind a bit. You'd hope it would, really.

Just what I was thinking. Remember when he decided to decided to write his own music without the help of his brilliant co-writer?

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

When you're in a big hall you'll have to realize that the sound is much slower than the image.

When you look to the artist with binoculars or when the artist is on a big screen, the image and sound seem to be out of sync.

It may look that the artist is lip syncing.

The alchemy of the masters moving molecules of air, we capture by moving particles of iron, so that the poetry of the ancients will echo into the future.

Believe what you wish, but it is pretty much common knowledge that Madonna, Britney, Janet, Cher, lip-sync through significant portions of their so-called "live performances".

It doesent bother me personally because I wouldn't pay to see any of the above mentioned artists. I do think that it is fraudulent to not let the people buying tickets to your show that much/most of it will be lip-synced.

Some people wouldn't care, they dig the dancing. But some would. A live act, is supposed to be a "live act".

Thats how I see it anyway.

Originally posted by Jotown:

Believe what you wish, but it is pretty much common knowledge that Madonna, Britney, Janet, Cher, lip-sync through significant portions of their so-called "live performances".

It doesent bother me personally because I wouldn't pay to see any of the above mentioned artists. I do think that it is fraudulent to not let the people buying tickets to your show that much/most of it will be lip-synced.

Some people wouldn't care, they dig the dancing. But some would. A live act, is supposed to be a "live act".

Thats how I see it anyway.

Ditto...

:freak: AAAuuuuuuuuggggghhhhhhhh!!!! :D

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

. He must know he deserves very, very little of the success that he's had.

I would have to disagree with that, too.

But he does look like someone's grandma! :D

http://www.lasvegassun.com/from.ed/2003/oct/06/photos/p000061529.jpg

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2004/SHOWBIZ/Music/09/23/elton.taiwan.reut/vert.elton.afp.jpg

Grumpy old queen, indeed!

Amateur Hack

It's not that (in my opinion) he doesn't deserve some success, but my god is that Elton John machine insanely bloated and out of proportion. Ain't nobody deserve all that, while so many get so little.

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

I have an old VHS tape of her Blond Ambition tour, and it is very obvious which tunes she is singing, and which ones she is mouthing along to.

Maybe the award should be changed to "Best Live Spectacle"

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

Yamaha Montage M7, Nord Electro 6D, Hammond XK1c, Dave Smith PolyEvolver & Rack, Moog Voyager,  Modal Cobalt 8X, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Originally posted by Rabid:

Madonna and Britney do not perform songs, they perform dance routines. And Elton just tries to be the pop version of Liberace.

Robert

Hint to Elton: Lots of wavy hair! :love:

Archived