Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Oberheim OB-X8 $1000 price drop announced

Could be a reaction to the recent entry of other lower priced polysynths (Moog, and also another Oberheim), or maybe people were complaining about the high cost, but the OB-X8 has now dropped $1k at all major music retailers. It says "limited time offer," but I'd imagine not. Hmmmmm..... 

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/OBX8--oberheim-ob-x8-8-voice-polyphonic-analog-synthesizer

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, 2 Invisible keyboard stands (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

Just in time for the holidays.😁

Looks like my local gear pusher has dropped the price too but OB-X8s are already sold out there.😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Reality is closing in...

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII, SL73, Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

1 hour ago, Muad’Dib said:

Sale ends September 30th. So, it’s not permanent!

A $1000 discount is a great feeler for "hmm did we really understand our market position properly"...

• Like 1

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII, SL73, Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

Music retail in general has taken a bit of a downturn the last few months.  There are a couple of reasons why I think this is the case.  One would be the unusual amount of gear that was sold during the COVID years.  Take a look at Reverb.com…more than a few owners appear to be trying to sell stuff currently.

Another factor may have been Sam Ash closing over 50 stores and liquidating their inventory.  Not that I’m saying that was a direct indicator in each sector, mind you - I believe it’s likely that some of the blowout pricing may have caused more than a few folks to spend gear dollars they may not have anticipated spending on all kinds of deals.

dB

• Like 1

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

5 hours ago, J.F.N. said:

A $1000 discount is a great feeler for "hmm did we really understand our market position properly"...

I doubt that Oberheim has a warehouse full of unsold OB-X8s.

I'd imagine they met their quota in selling the $5k models. Sales slowed down.

Now, they can afford to offer OB-X8s at a discount to entice buyers who may be sitting on the fence.

Of course, the Moog Muse effect could be a motivating factor as well.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

7 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

The Behringer effect. 

Probably.  Also the vst effect.  Someone like me, that can nominally afford an obx8, it falls into a weird spot.....too niche (and maybe expensive) for gigging at my level, but at home I've gone to all software.   I'm sure I'd love this thing, but to use it would mean going back to midi channels/sysex/multitimbral/patch changes and so on.   And in particular, this one can't really do much in a multi-timbral fashion anyway so I'd be printing tracks.  I don't have to deal with any of that with vsts, and to my ear they sound great.

If vsts didn't exist, I might very well own this, or a Prophet/Deckard's Dream/PolyBrute etc as I saved my pennies and built up an old-school midi studio.  

8 hours ago, ProfD said:

I doubt that Oberheim has a warehouse full of unsold OB-X8s.

I'd imagine they met their quota in selling the $5k models. Sales slowed down.

Now, they can afford to offer OB-X8s at a discount to entice buyers who may be sitting on the fence.

Of course, the Moog Muse effect could be a motivating factor as well.😎

I'm sure they're selling okay, though a $1000 discount on a $5000 product, which was recently released as well, is an "interesting" phenomenon...

I am wondering how this relates to the product's actual life cycle development. We are about two years in on its life cycle, and the signal sent with this promotion is that it's no longer a $5000 product, which is nothing new, after the first phases a price adjustment may sometimes be necessary, especially when seeing competition, to land the product on a plateau where the number of sold units vs. revenue keeps up with the targets set for that phase of its life cycle.

I guess we'll see in time.

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

It is interesting to think that just for the amount of the discount on the ob-x8 you can get a similar synth with 8 more voices and polyphonic aftertouch. 

• Like 1
Stuff: Roland:SH-201/U-110/S-330/TR-626/M-48 Akai: miniAK/S6000 Yamaha:DX9/HS8/xs7 Korg:05R/W/AX10G Alesis: Vortex MK1 CME: UF70 classic V2/WIDI Behringer: DSP2024Px2/UMC204HD/101/340/D/03/8 ESI:1010e

12 minutes ago, dglcomp said:

It is interesting to think that just for the amount of the discount on the ob-x8 you can get a similar synth with 8 more voices and polyphonic aftertouch. 

it's funny because it's true!

:D

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -