Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gospel Organ from Gospel Musicians

I got it and played it for a bit. 

Bottom line B3x kicks it butt in almost every way except onboard effects. Yes it's gospel oriented and would be excellent in that use but it has a couple shortcomings.

The keyclick is terrible unless it's down to almost off. The percussion (and keyclick) sound very static to me. CV wasn't terrible but I didn't spend much time checking that. The response is good and organ like. Maybe a little more smear to the sound than b3x. I find b3x to be a little bit "literal" ie if you get a little sloppy it come through and the Gospel Organ is more flattering in that regard. The leslie in B3x and vb3m is better imo. I would put Gospel Organ behind B3x and vb3m. I might even put King B ahead of it. 

But GO IS only $6.99 for the next couple of weeks and is pretty usefull despite my harsh review.

• Like 1

FunMachine.

2 hours ago, Baldwin Funster said:

Bottom line B3x kicks it butt in almost every way except onboard effects. Yes it's gospel oriented and would be excellent in that use but it has a couple shortcomings.

The keyclick is terrible unless it's down to almost off. The percussion (and keyclick) sound very static to me. CV wasn't terrible but I didn't spend much time checking that. The response is good and organ like. Maybe a little more smear to the sound than b3x. I find b3x to be a little bit "literal" ie if you get a little sloppy it come through and the Gospel Organ is more flattering in that regard. The leslie in B3x and vb3m is better imo. I would put Gospel Organ behind B3x and vb3m. I might even put King B ahead of it. 

But GO IS only $6.99 for the next couple of weeks and is pretty useful despite my harsh review.

Great feedback, thanks for sharing.  Consider giving them your thoughts as well so they can improve.   Maybe key click and percussion can be round robin’d if they aren’t using that technique.  I wonder if they built their Leslie from scratch or are using the open source code as a starting point like most others are.  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Gospel organ is on a whole other level.   That is the market for people that are techs now.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

On 8/14/2024 at 1:34 PM, Baldwin Funster said:

But GO IS only $6.99 for the next couple of weeks and is pretty usefull despite my harsh review.

Absolutely everything you said, I agree with. Tested them all side by side yesterday and felt exactly the same way. The finger to sound connection is weird with GO. 

• Like 1

I have gear. Don't we all? Some is old, some is new. Ask me what I've got and I'll tell you. 

The leslie in B3x and vb3m is better imo

To be sure you're comparing "the leslie" (and not some combination of the function of the Leslie with its normally-paired organ source), you'd need to bypass the Leslie effects in B3X/VB3M and feed those organ sounds into GO's rotary effect... is that what you did? IOW, I'm trying to confirm that when you say  leslie in B3x and vb3m is better" you mean that B3X/VB3M through their own Leslies are indeed better than B3X/VB3M organ through GO's Leslie?

1 hour ago, Macsaint777 said:

Absolutely everything you said, I agree with. Tested them all side by side yesterday and felt exactly the same way. The finger to sound connection is weird with GO. 

This is interesting, because, I don't think I've ever heard about an FTEC issue with a sound that did not respond to velocity. Unless maybe we're talking about a latency issue?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

17 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

To be sure you're comparing "the leslie" (and not some combination of the function of the Leslie with its normally-paired organ source), you'd need to bypass the Leslie effects in B3X/VB3M and feed those organ sounds into GO's rotary effect... is that what you did? IOW, I'm trying to confirm that when you say  leslie in B3x and vb3m is better" you mean that B3X/VB3M through their own Leslies are indeed better than B3X/VB3M organ through GO's Leslie?

I meant the leslie/organ combination in each example not any of the leslies as an external effect.

21 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

This is interesting, because, I don't think I've ever heard about an FTEC issue with a sound that did not respond to velocity. Unless maybe we're talking about a latency issue?

It's not latency, because even if you exaggerate the latency by changing the buffer, it's a different experience. Some b3 sounds in romplers just don't sound or feel like a real B when you do a palm smear. The notes don't blend. I'm not saying b3x has this to a bad degree, just very slightly. Maybe it's a modeling vs sampling thing. Or how it's modeled or sampled. 

FunMachine.

The included Gospel Musicians Leslie effect loads within the application.  Is it also installed as its own AU/VST so that it would be possible to insert on a channel in your host to use with other instruments?   This way one could run say, B3X as a constant and then make a direct comparison.   Same organ engine changing Leslies.  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

14 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

The included Gospel Musicians Leslie effect loads within the application.  Is it also installed as its own AU/VST so that it would be possible to insert on a channel in your host to use with other instruments?   This way one could run say, B3X as a constant and then make a direct comparison.   Same organ engine changing Leslies.  

I could be wrong but I think I read that you CAN'T use the leslie that's within the organ app to spin other sounds.

But their leslie is also sold separately and is $6.99 until September. 

• Like 1

FunMachine.

I was unclear from some of the comments about whether people were talking about the PC/Mac version or the iOS version, and particularly based on Baldwin Funster's last comment, about any differences between "the leslie that's within the organ app" and the one sold separately for $6.99 (in iOS). So I messaged the developer, and this was the reply to my question:

"The Gospel Organ on the desktop comes with Gospel Rotary. On the iPad you have to buy them separately."

And that seems at odds with some of what's in this thread. Can someone confirm, does the iOS version of Gospel Organ include the Rotary or not?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The ios version of Gospel Organ has an onboard leslie.

I think what the manufacturer might mean is that with the purchase price of $49, the pc version of Gospel Organ includes the standalone leslie (separate app) . So perhaps you get 2 apps? 

The ios version for $6.99 only gives you the Organ with its onboard leslie but not the standalone leslie (separate app), which requires another purchase at the cost of an additional $6.99.

Honestly I wouldn't bother. It's not  as good, at least to me, as any of the GSI vb3's. Even blue3 and king B might be better.

• Like 1

FunMachine.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm curious about the rotary effect and overdrive (since on the real thing, more of the distortion comes from the Leslie than from the organ). If you start with an organ sound with no overdrive selected (e.g. no effect or amp sim), does the rotary effect itself give you overdrive as you increase the volume of the organ? Perhaps adjustable with the rotary effect's Input Gain and Output Gain controls? And if so, how "tube like" does it sound (say, maybe using a Vent as a reference)?

On 8/31/2024 at 11:33 AM, AnotherScott said:

I'm curious about the rotary effect and overdrive (since on the real thing, more of the distortion comes from the Leslie than from the organ). If you start with an organ sound with no overdrive selected (e.g. no effect or amp sim), does the rotary effect itself give you overdrive as you increase the volume of the organ? Perhaps adjustable with the rotary effect's Input Gain and Output Gain controls? And if so, how "tube like" does it sound (say, maybe using a Vent as a reference)?

Maybe this will have some answers.

FunMachine.