Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Just trying - Dorian scale improvisation - your expert comments will help me improve more - thanks.

Tarek-UK

Welcome to the Guitar Forum, Tarek-UK!

I'll admit that I'm more adept at playing this sort of stuff 'by ear'
 than I am at conceptualizing it and discussing the applied nuts-and-bolts of the music theory details behind it.

So, my best recommendation for you is to check out Chris Juergensen's Infinite Guitar lesson pages, blogs, YouTube videos, etc. He's phenomenally knowledgeable on all manner of applied scales, modes, chords, etc. etc., much of it having been available for free. HIGHLY recommended!

Here's a YouTube video of his on the topic of the Dorian Mode:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I do the C Dorian mode with one of my tunes (the guitar leads that is). It is mixed in with an natural c minor (aeolian mode). I started out in Dorian then after the drum break I switched to the aeolian, then back to dorian after the next drum break and so on throughout the song. Go here

https://www.soundclick.com/davegagliardi/?content=songs . and look for JazzBekky Ole' Vintage Channel Remix.

The Late Emily Remler taught me about the Church Modes, She also taught me to think of the modes as "flavors"

• Like 4

I have no great advice without knowing where someone’s headspace is.   DBM mentions bouncing between Dorian and Aeolian.    In the beginning… like when I used to improvise in something like Moondance… I would often think of Dorian as simply a natural minor with a sharp 6.    My mind would sometimes treat the “Dorian note” as an accidental.      

We learn and drill this stuff so when we play we don’t need to think.  It takes time.   Play the guitar till the guitar plays you.   It takes thought, reps and time.  I have to stop before I go too Zen. 

• Like 4

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

@Caevan O’Shite, Thanks for the Chris Juergensen lesson video.  At 10:18 those chart frames are very helpful to memorize for learning any of the 5 modes found/played using the major scale.  Fret 3 is Dorian, Fret 5 is Lydian, Fret 8 is Mixolydian, Fret 10 is Aoelian (minor), Fret 12 is Ionian (major) which actually begins on the 13th fret when playing in F major.  Fret 15 starts over with Dorian when playing in F major.  It all depends on where you start each of the modes on the 1st and 6th strings which determines the key and the pattern repitions/sequences never changes.  The root tone octave pattern never changes once you choose the key and it is contained within each of the frames.  Each of those 5 frames correspond with the major and minor Pentatonic scales.

The main takeaway from the lesson that I will be working on is adding the triads patterns and adding the two different additional minor Pentatonic patterns during the chord changes.  Thanks again for the info and now it's back to the drawing board!  😎👍

• Like 2
Take care, Larryz