Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Synthesized "classical" music

10 hours ago, Tusker said:

Carlo, your attempts are not humble but beautiful renditions of this music we love. Both fugues were crazy fun to listen to. It was an unexpected artistic choice to hear the piano tackle the fugue after the synth prelude. It's more common to explore the synth's timbral range in a contrapuntal setting, but here the piano wanted to speak and speak it did. The delicate inner movements of the voices came through in your hands.

Hey, thanks a lot! In fact, the whole idea of that album was to make a direct comparison between synth and piano playing. For example, in the A minor Prelude and Fugue from WTC II, the Prelude is played on piano, but the Fugue is all synths. And throughout the whole album there's a constant alternance of piano and synth pieces.

Frankly, when I hear it it with today's ears, I would like to redo the whole thing...

• Like 3

On 8/8/2024 at 10:40 PM, ksoper said:

While there were many pretenders to the throne, I think only Hans Wurman came close with "The Moog Strikes Bach" ('69). Some really fine moments on that album. 

He did another LP called "Chopin A La Moog," which was a worthy feast. Synths do impressionist works particular justice, in my view. His Variations On A Theme By Paganini are excellent, but they'll creep you right out! Ideal for a Halloween loop.

• Like 1

"Well, the 60s were fun, but now I'm payin' for it."
        ~ Stan Lee, "Ant-Man and the Wasp"

You don't see much electronic classical music cropping up because being able to properly interpret and perform classical music is one immense task. Laying it down as a multitracked event and mixing it properly is another. The number of people who can handle both is very small. There is also the issue of synths being legion in pop music, but rare in classical. That makes it harder to please people in either camp. I've heard a few quartets & the like do creditable live work, but its not an easy sell.

As an example of hitting the mark, check out this righteous take on "The Rite of Spring." Its a natural for the synth treatment. The poster said his role was mainly sound design for a MIDI file. We could debate a few fine points, but all in all, I think the surreal tone is well-served.        

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGLmP1d4-nI

"Well, the 60s were fun, but now I'm payin' for it."
        ~ Stan Lee, "Ant-Man and the Wasp"

I wrote a simple waltz early this year. Never used orchestra libraries much so it was a challenge. Turned out okay. It’s derivative I know, but it fitted my publishers brief. 

https://www.warnerchappellpm.com/track/image-music-library-imcd3203-12/MTk4NjYyMzAwLWVjYWViZQ

• Like 1

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

Being classically trained on piano, and owning a brand new MiniMoog Model D, I  bought Switched on Bach when I saw it mentioned in Keyboard Player. Listened to it twice, put it in the closet, and never listened to classical synth again. It was not for me. I found the creations of early German synth bands like Kraftswerk to be much more interesting.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Keep...Looking...UP! (those who know, know)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, 2 Invisible keyboard stands (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson