Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I reviewed the Model 24 when it came out in 2018. I was quite impressed. The review covers potential the most likely use cases, and potential deal-breakers, depending on the intended application. Certainly, the price was right - just under $1,000 when it was introduced, but now it's six years later and the price has gone up to $1,199. The Model 2400 is $1,999.

ChatGPT summarized the main differences:

TASCAM Model 24

Channels: 22 channels.

Tracks: 24-track recorder.

Functions: Combines an analog mixer, a multitrack recorder, and a USB audio interface.

Recording: Records directly to an SD card.

Use Case: Ideal for live performances, home studios, and rehearsals.

TASCAM Model 2400

Channels: 22 channels.

Tracks: 24-track recorder.

Functions: Advanced analog mixer with more routing capabilities, talkback functionality, and app control.

Recording: Records directly to SDXC cards with full punch-in/punch-out support.

Additional Features: Includes per-channel compression, multiple subgroups, master stereo bus processing, and MIDI/MTC integration.

Use Case: Suitable for larger setups, including orchestras and choirs, and offers more advanced mixing and recording capabilities.

• Like 1

Although they have been around for a while now, these small footprint, self-contained mixers with computer connectivity are great for capturing live performances and events and transferring between stage and studio. 

I have a QSC TouchMix 16 for similar purpose.  But, the tactility of the Tascam series will definitely appeal to those who are either old skool mixers and/or not huge fans of touch screens.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

1 hour ago, ProfD said:

I have a QSC TouchMix 16 for similar purpose.

I like that it's also an audio interface (as is the TASCAM). So, you have a lot more inputs than with the typical 8-input audio interfaces, as well as processors so you can record with edits already in place. I just wish the TouchMix used combo jacks instead of mostly XLRs. I have a LOT of synths with 1/4" outputs that need to go someplace.

1 hour ago, Anderton said:

I like that it's also an audio interface (as is the TASCAM). So, you have a lot more inputs than with the typical 8-input audio interfaces, as well as processors so you can record with edits already in place. I just wish the TouchMix used combo jacks instead of mostly XLRs. I have a LOT of synths with 1/4" outputs that need to go someplace.

A Yamaha TF5 or Allen & Health QU-24 would probably be a better fit for your needs.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Anyone know what the internal recording setting are capable of as far as bit depth and sample rate?  And does the audio interface match?  When recording to PC does each input have an audio stream to/from the computer?  Or do you have to use busses due to limitations of the interface? 

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

On 7/25/2024 at 1:53 PM, ProfD said:

A Yamaha TF5 or Allen & Health QU-24 would probably be a better fit for your needs.😎

Great suggestions, but the A&H takes up too much space for my setup, and the TF5 is out of my price range. However, what the world REALLY needs is the audio interface equivalent of a line mixer: something with 16 line-level jacks with trim controls (I'm not sure you'd actually need the trim controls), no input preamps, no processors, basically nothing except for two ADAT light pipe outs. It would be cheap, cheerful, and great for keyboard players who have synths with multiple outputs. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Anderton said:

Great suggestions, but the A&H takes up too much space for my setup, and the TF5 is out of my price range. However, what the world REALLY needs is the audio interface equivalent of a line mixer: something with 16 line-level jacks with trim controls (I'm not sure you'd actually need the trim controls), no input preamps, no processors, basically nothing except for two ADAT light pipe outs. It would be cheap, cheerful, and great for keyboard players who have synths with multiple outputs. 

Bizarre that no one has put two and two together on this with all the hardware synths people are collecting. 

6 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Bizarre that no one has put two and two together on this with all the hardware synths people are collecting. 

In the future, folks will have fewer hardware KBs in favor of software.

These younger folks will be so far in the box you'll think they are Cracker Jack prizes.😎

PD

2 hours ago, ProfD said:

In the future, folks will have fewer hardware KBs in favor of software.

These younger folks will be so far in the box you'll u'll think they are Cracker Jack prizes.😎

That’s what we all thought, and then, with this explosion of VST synths, a hardware synth renaissance starts.  First high end analogues, then affordable analogues, then software engines in hardware form.  

And just when we thought Ableton and Logic had killed off workstations, a PC-less trend starts and there’s hardware sequencers again, Akai MPC gets 3.0 software with a linear audio MIDI sequencer and Tascam is investing in SDXC portastudios.   🤷‍♂️ 

There's also a chance that live performances will become more and more popular, and in some cases, people would prefer to use physical instruments rather than virtual instruments but they would still use a computer as a brain. 

I do wish it was possible to buy a laptop that was  built to "rock and roll" specs, like the old Panasonic ToughBooks, instead of being designed to be as thin and light as possible so worker bees could use them on airplanes.

And, I'm still waiting for a left-handed laptop :) Seriously! I want the greatest number of ports on the right side of the computer, not the left, so I don't run into cables when moving the mouse.

It looks similar to the Zoom L-20 I use for our 7-person covers band (for which 6 different people sing at various times, and two us have separate horn mics). One of the things I love about my Zoom L-20 is that it has 6 separate monitor send mixes.