Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland RD-88 EX

I’ve always enjoyed the reviews Stu has done and with this one he has considerable background, having used the RD2000 as his main gigging board.

He has many superlatives to lavish on the new algorithms of the V-Piano which has been used to create  4 dozen? new patches, and for his ears it’s the best sounding pianos available.  So worth checking out his review:

Stu Harrison of Merriam Music review of the Roland RD2000 EX

Hopefully this’ll answer the questions of 88 and 2000 owners of why bother. However, from what I’ve heard of the RD88, it sounds like that sucker could really use some structural upgrades!  

I love the format of the RD2000: 8 voices on tap with lots of knobbage for real time control, but 48 pounds?  And that ridiculous aircraft design even though they put the PB/MW up on top?  Come on, this is supposed to be a giggers board.  It is pretty sweet that you can get this substantial upgrade for free from Roland!

I’m still waiting for someone to do something like the best of the Kawai ES920 with the MP7SE: 4 sounds at once, lots of realtime controls, under 40 pounds, pb/mw, etc., under $2k!  Gotta dream eh?  

• Like 3

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win11 laptop // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB