Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg Collection 5

Now released and, if you bought version 4 in the last month, you get a free upgrade for a limited time.

Interesting to see that this is the first piano (EP1) engine from the Kronos to be added and, if I'm not mistaken, an organ engine as well (might be all new, as Korg don't make reference to the Kronos). Just a few more to go and you would have most of a Kronos/Nautilus in software form.

ARP 2600 could be fun to play with...

https://www.korg.com/uk/products/software/korg_collection/

Korg Grandstage 73, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

Had a listen to the demos. I have a Grandstage so already have access to the Vox and EP-1 engines, and can’t say the ARP is enough to warrant an upgrade this time. I made it to version 4, but I think thats it for now. Still, for others this might be a great upgrade.

Thinking about it, other than the lack of any deep editing on the GS, I think I finally have access to the best its of a Kronos sound with the Korg Collection and GS combo…and at a much lower price.

IMG_2286.jpeg

• Like 1

Korg Grandstage 73, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

Yes, getting closer to replicating many of the Kronos engines. However, my interest in Kronos emulation, is actually not the engines per se, as I have most of this now with the legacies, but the ability to load the third party Kronos libraries into a vst, DAW etc. Of course many of them are just HD-1 libraries, so just simple playback attached to the Kronos controller function emulation is all I need.

Having said that, I recently decided to sell my Kronos, along with all my paid libraries, I just wasn't using it all that much. I had intended to keep it for many years because of my extra libraries, but vst's have come a long way since purchasing them, and I was finding I have better alternatives in vst's now anyway. So thought I'd off-load it before it started having age related problems. So far, I'm not missing it👍

• Like 1

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Yamaha MontageM8x, Studiologic Numa Piano X GT,
Other important stuff: Novation Summit, NI Komplete Ultimate 14 CE, Omnisphere, EW Hollywood and Fantasy Orchestra, Spitfire Albion and Symphony, Pianoteq 8 Pro, Roland RD88.

Similar to my reasoning on getting the GS rather than the Kronos. It felt like a great ‘all in one’ (and was at the time), but I didn't really like the RH3 keybed on the Kronos. I realised I wanted some of the high quality sounds (pianos, EP’s, synths etc.) but I dont tweak all that much and the workstation features were there in my Mac.

So, Grandstage (the keybed definitely feels better to me) and Korg Collection (with Logic and numerous other sound engines) was the perfect setup for home. Perhaps that same ‘logic’ was noted at Korg and the reason such a great board got discontinued so soon while the Kronos continued albeit for a relatively short time….

• Like 1

Now we're just waiting for the iOS version...

• Like 1

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII, SL73, Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

Didn't the EP-1 already get released recently, or was that an emu from another vendor?

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I guess all three additions were already released, but I haven't had much time for careful tracking of products lately. I'm used to new products being released simultaneously with collection upgrades, but now that I think about it, Korg doesn't operate that way.

As I skipped the v4 upgrade, I'll check the v3 to v5 upgrade price shortly. There might be enough by now to warrant it, though I'm more interested in OpSix and ModWave and related synths than yet more ARP, Continental, and EP options (unless these are the best).

• Like 1

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

23 minutes ago, Mark Schmieder said:

I guess all three additions were already released, but I haven't had much time for careful tracking of products lately. I'm used to new products being released simultaneously with collection upgrades, but now that I think about it, Korg doesn't operate that way.

As I skipped the v4 upgrade, I'll check the v3 to v5 upgrade price shortly. There might be enough by now to warrant it, though I'm more interested in OpSix and ModWave and related synths than yet more ARP, Continental, and EP options (unless these are the best).

These are three new engines and, while you can buy them separately, they havent been released before. EP-1 is from the Kronos, and the Grandstage also had the Vox engine as well as the EP-1. Arp 2600 is all new.

I'm betting I saw a pre-release on GS then, if these three are only now being released as part of KC5 vs. a la carte releases that got folded into KC5.

UPDATE: Nope, it wasn't there (GearSpace). Nor on vi-control. I don't get it. If I got an email pre-announcement, that would not explain why I remember people discussing these three products a couple of weeks ago somewhere. Maybe someone here had a heads-up from a trade show announcement?

19 hours ago, Mark Schmieder said:

I don't get it. If I got an email pre-announcement, that would not explain why I remember people discussing these three products a couple of weeks ago somewhere. Maybe someone here had a heads-up from a trade show announcement?

IIRC, they pre-announcedV 5 and its new components some months ago, saying they would be shipping in the Summer. The new announcement is that they have now been released.

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

13 hours ago, Mark Schmieder said:

I'm betting I saw a pre-release on GS then, if these three are only now being released as part of KC5 vs. a la carte releases that got folded into KC5.

UPDATE: Nope, it wasn't there (GearSpace). Nor on vi-control. I don't get it. If I got an email pre-announcement, that would not explain why I remember people discussing these three products a couple of weeks ago somewhere. Maybe someone here had a heads-up from a trade show announcement?

This was discussed here in May.

https://forums.musicplayer.com/topic/189137-korg-collection-5/

• Like 2

It’s great to see that they are still enhancing and expanding this line-up. It’s an under-rated collection and good bang for the buck. I owned the original M1 and Wavestation recreations, and recently I bought the whole collection last year (v4).

This particular update doesn’t grab me (I’ve never been a huge ARP guy), but it’s encouraging that they continue to do more.

I’m a big fan of late eighties / early nineties ROMplers (they sit wonderfully in a mix) and I’d like to see a Trinity re-issue. I’d also like to see a Korg DS-8 FM re-issue.

But overall, I think this is a great thing. Most of my compositions use something from the M1 and the Triton Extreme. 

Todd

• Like 2

Sundown

Just finished: GatewayThe Jupiter Bluff

Working on: Driven Away, Eighties Crime Thriller

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

5 hours ago, Sundown said:

I owned the original M1 and Wavestation recreations, and recently I bought the whole collection last year (v4).

... Most of my compositions use something from the M1 and the Triton Extreme.

I'm a committed Korg player. Their sounds have a unique Something I like. I ditched the Wavestation plug for being almost as inscrutable as the hardware. The Wavestate is a brilliant replacement for a fundamentally great idea.

I'm brimming with Autosampled Korg goodness. I sometimes wonder at people who have these full collections, because just the Wavestate or Cloud D-50 contain quite a lot of each company's history, to my ears. I've had a few legendary gems like the original MonoPoly, so I get part of the vintage craze, but the added 5% of Synth Luv you can get from wrangling the originals seems small when I can layer a couple of classics in Logic and build something far bigger. 

One summer, I was a lifeguard at a fairly hefty pool. In the morning, before the masses stirred up the fistful of dirt at the bottom, I'd put on a mask & big ol' fins and enjoy the feeling of flying through the crystalline water. Korg's library is so huge, it reminds me of that pool.

BTW, I had fins designed for the French Underwater Demolition Team, with slots through the center that gave you power with the down AND up strokes. I could 'stand up' in the water like bleepin' Flipper. Doesn't have squat to do with synths, just sayin'. 🐬😛

Do what makes you happy this week.
So long as it’s not eating people.
Eating people is bad.
People have diseases.
      ~ Warren Ellis

20 hours ago, hªdºw said:

No wonder I couldn't find it; I didn't search back any further than early June, thinking it surely couldn't have been any longer ago than that! 🤪

I already have Triton and the upgrade to Collection 5 is a reasonable $149.

But I also have Gadget 2, which happens to have the M1 and Wavestation presets albeit under different names and with reduced editing abilities.

If I didn’t already have that, I’d definitely get C5.

local: Korg Nautilus 61 AT | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer | 16" MBP M1 Max

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7