Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

iOS AUM Midi Router for studio control...

I had an epiphany here this morning regarding the midi routing for the hardware in my Keyboard Lab, using AUM as a midi patchbay/router with USB midi interfaces.

I have 3 ESI M8U eX MIDI interfaces (don't ask...), which are standard USB class compliant midi interfaces with no driver or control software. They have 16 intelligent ports, meaning you can use them both as in/out in any way you want, the interface itself recognizes what is going on and identifies the port as an in or an out.

Back when I bought them I was routing these with an iOS app called MidiFire, which is a really powerful app but a bit too complex for a more intuitive hands on handling. Another thing is that you can't rename the midi in/out items, I have even been in contact with the developer, who is not very active anymore and wasn't overly excited about the idea (too much work I guess in relation to what he makes on the app).

Today I want it to work just like the Conductive Labs MRCC, and back then I was working with a fixed set up and "scenes" etc. I just need an intuitive controller for the routing; "today I want to play my Prologue keyboard on the Deepmind 12D", and another day "I want to play my PC3 on the Deepmind 12D AND the Prologue" etc., same with sync clocks, routing from one gadget to another etc., at the end of the day - nothing is static.

As my Lab is not computer centric (I have a computer for recording but don't want the potential need for routing of my boards and other hardware to be dependent on the computer running, it's just a tape machine), this will be a really neat solution. The iPad already boots up everytime I fire on the power (I turn it off after every time I have used the Lab) and with a "Default" state set up in AUM, everything should be up and ready once the Lab is fully powered up. 

EDIT: Just found that "Default" state is not autoloading, you still have to click on the "Default" button in AUM when it starts up, posted an email to the dev. this can't be a huge deal to sort out! Must be more than me who have a need for this, thinking installations, etc. where "auto restore" on reboot is kind of 101...

This will mean that I also automatically will have access to all the virtual instruments in iOS in the hardware "network", and for the computer, well, I have three interfaces, if I connect one of them to the computer I can then connect as many midi cables I need from the interface connected to the computer to one of the other two interfaces connected to the iPad, and we're game!

Hoooorray for iOS!!

:)

(Image from Reddit, not my setup)

aum-midi-router.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII, SL73, Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

Started fiddling with this today, connected one of the interfaces to the iPad, showed up in AUM as 16x16 ports, as it should, then connected MIDI In on my DM12D to one of the ports, renamed that port to Deepmind 12D, and with a simple finger click in AUM my keyboard was routed to it.

I love this, sure, it's not rocket science but I just saved a lot of hundreds of euros in not needing to buy the MRCC to get the MIDI in my Lab under intuitive instant control! This will be fabulous once the rest of the HW is connected too. Got some structural planning to do before going on with that.

👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII, SL73, Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

AUM and another daw app called loopy pro have such advanced routing and bussing capabilities apart and together, I can barely start to imagine the possibilities. You can open each one as a source or an effect in a channel on the other app. Both can be midi controlled even when folded together. Complete insanity. I believe iOS has come into its own. Until Apple fks it all up. Which I'm sure they will.

FunMachine.

Loopy Pro has a midi router grid like the one in AUM too?

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

13 minutes ago, J.F.N. said:

Loopy Pro has a midi router grid like the one in AUM too?

No but I think you can use the one in aum inside loopy pro. Why would you want too? I don't know. It's just cool you can.

FunMachine.

3 minutes ago, Baldwin Funster said:

No but I think you can use the one in aum inside loopy pro. Why would you want too? I don't know. It's just cool you can.

Just curious if there was another app doing the same thing as AUM, as you see in my posts here I'm more than satisfied with what I can do with the AUM MIDI routing...

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

33 minutes ago, J.F.N. said:

Just curious if there was another app doing the same thing as AUM, as you see in my posts here I'm more than satisfied with what I can do with the AUM MIDI routing...

Yeah there's others .Audiobus is one. I have that too and used it before AUM. I like Aum better. I think it's updated more and there are many tutorials on YouTube. 

I guess the thing with loopypro is if you wanted to open 2 or 3 instances of AUM at once, you could do it using loopypro as a host. Or vice versa ie 3 instances of loopypro. 

Imagine having multiple versions of your midi routing that you could switch between with program change. I think that could be done with this idea. 

FunMachine.

23 minutes ago, Baldwin Funster said:

Yeah there's others .Audiobus is one. I have that too and used it before AUM. I like Aum better. I think it's updated more and there are many tutorials on YouTube. 

I guess the thing with loopypro is if you wanted to open 2 or 3 instances of AUM at once, you could do it using loopypro as a host. Or vice versa ie 3 instances of loopypro. 

Imagine having multiple versions of your midi routing that you could switch between with program change. I think that could be done with this idea. 

That's cool, though then I can use MidiFire instead, it's made for that, and have extremely powerful midi processing abilities too. I did this in my previous setup.

Though it's not what I want here, the importance for me now is direct intuitive control, "I want to access that/those machines with this board right now"...

Check out MidiFire if you don't know it, veeeery powerful. The only caveat is that's you can't rename your MIDI items in your objects listing, your patches yes, you can call them what you want, but not the items, which kind of gets messy when you have 3 interfaces with 16 ports each....

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -