Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hell On Earth

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With all of its problems...I thank the good Lord every day that I was born here, and not in a struggling third world country.

The U.S. gets hit by major hurricanes...the death toll is less than 100...much less most times. You read about a cyclone (hurricane) hitting Bangladesh, the death toll numbers in the thousands.... Same with Haiti. As if those people need anything more.

And I sit at my desk, watching the "tame" satellite picture of clouds across the island of Hispaniola...and it seems so far removed from the heartbreak going on under those clouds. :(

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

...I thank the good Lord every day that I was born here, and not in a struggling third world country.
Amen.

They say God knows exactly where he wanted us to be placed.

Um ...I guess that's how we rationalize how unfair life can be at times. Since we can't put our arms around the whole world we should at least do the best we can with those close around.

Originally posted by lrossmusic:

Since we can't put our arms around the whole world we should at least do the best we can with those close around.

That belongs in Reader's Digest's "Quotable Quotes".

BTW...It's CFC (Combined Federal Campaign) time for us federal government workers...time when we "give at the office". But, it's a good time for all of us to remember, federal employee or not, to help out a bit, and share a bit of the bounty we have (and trust me, even for minimum wage workers, next to a resident of Haiti, you're rich). I think that it's a great time of year, heading toward the holidays not too far off, to remember to give a bit, and help to make someone's life a little brighter. Especially in light of the disasters this late summer/fall...

Originally posted by Tedster

...(and trust me, even for minimum wage workers, next to a resident of Haiti, you're rich).

Yeah, it was pretty rough down there, from what I hear, even before the storm. Unfortunately though it's not unlike a lot of other places in the region and elsewhere. The 70's group War had a song that we used to play a lot called "The World Is A Ghetto". Well maybe not the whole world, but in this case almost a whole country it seems.

Anyway another brave journalist posted the following update on Wednesday 9/29. The story is no longer front page but the situation remains almost incomprehensible.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/americas/09/29/haiti.desperation/index.html

- Saturday's update 10/2/04

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/americas/10/02/haiti.stormaftermath.ap/index.html

That's one of my favorite songs!!! I used to jam with a jazz flautist, and we did an instrumental version of that song. Very gifted guy on the flute. Was battling addiction...damn...another tragedy of its own. Seems like life has enough tragedies of its own without people going out of their way to add to them.

I loved War. I heard a few of the members are touring under a different name. Would love to check 'em out. Our acoustic vocal group did a kickass rendition of "All Day Music" too. Man, that band was great.

Back to Haiti. Aside from joining the Peace Corps or Red Cross, about all we can really do is give to an appropriate organization. That, and pray for those poor people.

Originally posted by Tedster

I loved War. I heard a few of the members are touring under a different name. Would love to check 'em out.

That explains why my buddy said that when he caught the War show last week the lead singer was the only original member. There must have been a slight falling out of the members leading to a split up. Anyway my buddy said the new band was

super tight and sounded great.

Reminds me of Dennis Edwards and the Temptations Review or Bill Pinkney and the Original Drifters.

Actually at one time I believe there may have been at least three or more groups gigging as the Drifters at the same time. Each worked a specific territory only. Now that I think of it the Delphonics split in two when two members who happened to be brothers couldn't get along anymore. Also I heard Sam and Dave didn't speak to each other for years but continued to tour. What was the big name rock trio who traveled in seperate limos and stayed in seperate hotels but kept on gigging together for some time?

Smiling faces show no traces of the 'animosity' that lurks within. :D

Yeah, it seems that some of these groups become a "franchise" over the years. I saw the Temptations in New Orleans. One original member. Kendrix and Ruffin are no longer with us :( Notwithstanding, it was a great show. IMO...it wasn't really "The Temptations"...but, it was, if nothing else, a great tribute.

Archived