Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Favorite Amp and FX Modeling 2024

I use Fender Super Champ X2 amps, 15 watt 6v6 tubes to warm up the solid state power amp. So they are hybrid. I always use JJ tubes and Hemp Cone speakers immediately on the SCX2's. I also have an Egnater Tweaker 15 watt head all tube amp head.

I use a Super Champ XT in the house for daily practice (in the house) and I have one in my climate controlled shed. I use the shed SCX2 into the input of the Tweaker head (Into a 1-12 Hemp cone extension cab). The SCx2's are loud enough for a small room with the Tweaker head it enhances the output volume of the rig over the SCX2's volume capability.

One caution the SCX2's sound like crap with the standard tubes and speakers. But with my upgrades and Fender Fuze for tweaking the solid state SCX2'S they are the best sounding amps I have ever owned) (for my taste in amps).

The Tweaker head is a bunch louder than the SCX2 by itself but it needs an overdrive pedal and reverb pedal for my uses. The SCX2's have effects in software inside the amp.

Hardware?  Fractal.  Either Axe-Fx III Mk II or FM9 Mk II Turbo.  

Helix Floor is cool I like most the effects.  Their delays are not my favorite. 

For me where the Axe FX really shines is the adaptability of the clean sounds and how good it is at setting up great banjo, Dobro, Steel, … non- electric guitar stuff.   If you are an utility Country player it’s great. 

• Like 1

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I've been VERY happy with my Strymon Iridium, and its "Punch"/Marshall and "Chime"/Vox Models and IR's.

I've been very pleased with just how similarly the way its "Punch"/Marshall Model and IR's interact with some of my pedals is with the way my Marshall-voiced tube-amps interact with some of my pedals. The pedals and pedal-settings that work well with one, will generally work well with the other with little or no adjustments required.

• Like 2

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Excellent hardware suggestions.  Anyone own the Kemper?  Worth the price?  

On a budget, I just saw they went to MkIII on the Boss Katana.  

And in software?  Plugins you’re happy with?  I see the magazines push IK a lot.  I’m not entirely sure if that’s paid for or if players actually rank it high vs the others.   

• Like 2

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I don’t own a Kemper. The band was 100% direct except drums.  From 2019-2022 I was using my Helix rig for guitars.  The full time guitarist used Kemper system.  Which system is better depends on the user. Pedal wise I am very pedestrian. I favor as few pedal as possible.  The other guitarist’s custom board cost more than my house.   The Kemper is great if you want to integrate your existing pedalboard into the system.   Tyler also owns some great amps and with the Kemper he did a great job of modeling his amps plus using 3rd party amps.   If I was married to my pedalboard I would go with Kemper. If not I would go Fractal.  

I use Amplitude.  It’s okay. I use it to plug into the desk at home and mix my guitar with source material when practicing or learning new material.  I’m not awestruck by it but it works. 

• Like 2

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt