Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Mandolin Day

CEB

My first string instrument was a mandolin, not counting my parents guitars.  Dad played guitar, Mom played Hawaiian style lap guitar on her old Kay Archtop.

I got a little money for my birthday when  I was  young.  The Mandolin was the only thing I could afford from the JC Penny catalog. I still have it though I needs a lot of attention.  I just got a Gold Tone mando. I’m shocked I still remember how to play some stuff.

Spruce top, maple neck, sides and back, ebony fretboard.  I’m having fun with this thing.  The tuning machines are smooth.  I might pick up an armrest. 

5332E58C-5EBB-4A38-95A8-DEB7DDB4CC34.jpeg

427D25DF-8B8C-4E10-BB61-79555F28C136.jpeg

A85B1844-03B1-49AE-A7BE-045EDB0FB8E5.jpeg

• Like 9

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

12 minutes ago, Scott Fraser said:

Beautiful flame on the back & sunburst on the front. 

I pick up my gf's mandolin from time to time but just can't wrap my head around tuning in fifths.

Enjoy!

The tuning is one thing, but that tiny, narrow neck... !

• Like 4

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Here's my favorite Mando player Marty Stuart.  I watched him play the Mando at a live concert.  He is one of the greatest country Tele guitar players, but I didn't know until that night, how good he was on the Mando.  Here's a sample of what I was mezmerized by, check him out:

😎👍

• Like 3
Take care, Larryz

15 hours ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

The tuning is one thing, but that tiny, narrow neck... !

There are a couple of big adjustments for me.  One is the neck, but it isn’t all bad. The fingerings are different for Mando. The general rule two frets for every finger. Also the thumb sits long ways on the top edge of the neck not pressed behind the neck like guitar.   Things requiring reach are easy but the narrowness is a challenge at first. 

My biggest challenge is finding an anchor point for the picking hand.  Everywhere seems awkward and you need an anchor point for Bluegrass. 

• Like 3

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Here's Nancy Wilson playing a cover of The Battle of Evermore on the mandolin. 

NOTE to anybody about to leave a comment that JPJ played the mandolin in Zeppelin: Jimmy Page played mandolin on this song (JPJ played acoustic guitar). He wrote the music for it after picking up and messing around on Jonesy's mandolin one day. Nancy clip taken from her 1996 instructional video. 

• Like 3

You can't go wrong with Gold Tone. I chose them for my second banjo as well (I sold the first one as I decided I prefer Irish Tenor to 5-string closed-back Bluegrass Banjo).

My own mandolin (my third) is the next-to-top-end from Kentucky (the higher-end model isn't as good; it cost more due to more bling). I started on a Flatiron but wasn't comfortable on it due to short stubby fingers. The Kentucky is more ergonomic for me, and so are ALL instruments from Gold Tone.

Check to be sure it can take any strings you want; some Gold Tone instruments are made with VERY specific string tensions and lengths in mind, and it is wise to follow! Their own strings are excellent, so no worries! Not sure if they make them or set the specs to send to a larger string manufacturer.

• Like 4

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• 2 months later...
On 6/12/2024 at 6:25 PM, Mark Schmieder said:

You can't go wrong with Gold Tone. I chose them for my second banjo as well (I sold the first one as I decided I prefer Irish Tenor to 5-string closed-back Bluegrass Banjo).

My own mandolin (my third) is the next-to-top-end from Kentucky (the higher-end model isn't as good; it cost more due to more bling). I started on a Flatiron but wasn't comfortable on it due to short stubby fingers. The Kentucky is more ergonomic for me, and so are ALL instruments from Gold Tone.

Check to be sure it can take any strings you want; some Gold Tone instruments are made with VERY specific string tensions and lengths in mind, and it is wise to follow! Their own strings are excellent, so no worries! Not sure if they make them or set the specs to send to a larger string manufacturer.

I've heard great things about their instruments, and it's good to know they work well for you, especially with the string recommendations. I'll definitely check the string specs when I'm ready to buy.

• Like 2