Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Does Anyone Think Collectors Will Value Some CDs Highly in the Future?

If a pre-recorded CD lasts 100 years, it's good enough for me.

I've had some that didn't last but a few years, but that's the exception, not the rule. 

My LPs will probably last longer than me, but I don't listen to them much anymore. Although I think the tone of an LP is better than that of a CD, I find myself less able to tolerate the surface noise. It's a matter of which type of distortion is less disturbing.

And I never buy anything with the intent for it to be a collector's item. There's nothing wrong with that, it's just not my nature.

Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

On 6/18/2024 at 10:48 AM, Dave Bryce said:

Honestly, I quite like the process of picking a CD, putting it in the player, and listening to it from end to end - something I also love about the vinyl experience.  I'm fairly sure that makes me somewhat of an outlier. :duck:

No dB.  That enjoyment does not make you an outlier at all. 

You are not alone in having earned the *right* to be an *older* person.🤣😎

• Haha 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

On 6/18/2024 at 10:48 AM, Dave Bryce said:

Honestly, I quite like the process of picking a CD, putting it in the player, and listening to it from end to end - something I also love about the vinyl experience.  I'm fairly sure that makes me somewhat of an outlier

For me, it depends. I have about 10k songs on my digital Walkman, but they are chosen for long trips in the car, and to be played in a random order.

On the other hand, many LPs and CDs have been designed to be listened to in a certain order. Especially for these albums, listening to the tunes in order are important to me.

Others, I simply enjoy listening to them in the order they appear on the album. How can you not prefer to listen to Abbey Road, Houses of the Holy, Court of the Crimson King, The Yes Album, Time Out, Live at the Apollo I, Swedish Schnapps, Jazz Samba, Focus, Sugar, Seven Steps To Heaven, Cuban Fire, April in Paris (Basie) and so many others without listening to the entire album, and in the album order? I guess that makes me an old fart, but in this case, I don't mind at all.

I also prefer physical media to streaming because the compression used for streaming can lower the fidelity.

But, there is more than one right way to listen to music.

I love classical music, mostly from the romantic era to the present, and predominantly symphonies. Years ago, the local public radio station dropped its local DJs and connected to a nationwide service. Instead of entire symphonies, you would hear the DJ say "Here is the scherzo movement from Beethoven's fifth symphony." WHAT? That's like playing only the 3rd verse from a popular song.

I quit listening, and I guess so did others. Years later, the classical programming has been replaced by R&B.

I have a nice collection of scores of symphonies that I can put into my CD player, and listen to them whenever I want, all the movements, and in the proper order. In addition, it seems to me that the nationwide service compressed the dynamic range of the music. That dilutes the expression.

Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

• 5 weeks later...