Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Andromeda dreaming

Hi all,

Really need to get some opinions on this.  I’ve come across an Alesis Andromeda, in town, selling for what I think is a fairly decent price…$3900.  It’s in “very good” condition.  The seller states that it’s been ”several years in a smoke-free studio where it has lived and not traveled one time. All sixteen voices (plus filters, envelopes, etc) tune up perfectly EVERY time. I even serviced each button and knob with a full cleaning inside and out and on every contact”.  It even comes with a Gator case and dust cover.  I’d have the opportunity to see it in person, check it out, talk with the owner, etc., something which is rare when purchasing used gear on the internet.  I’ve gone back and forth contemplating this synth and a Moog One for a number of years, and now with it being right here in town, with the ability to get hands on….oh man….obsession time.

My biggest concern is its age and the ability to get it serviced/get parts.  I’m reading that it’s difficult (impossible?) to find parts, and that with use, and I’d intend to gig with it, it’ll be prone to problems.  I can do simple stuff but repairing something like this is way above my pay grade.   I’ve searched this forum, and while  the Andromeda gets rave reviews, I’ve not seen much on how prone it is to malfunction, and strategies to prevent that, if there are any.  I've also read elsewhere to steer clear of this synth because of its age and lack of parts.

So….I’m really interested to get feedback from owners. Are there things I should be specifically looking for if/when I go check it out?  Red flags?  Am I delusional thinking I can gig this board? For the price, I know I could find a synth that would probably be more robust and a safer purchase, but damn, the Andromeda is just so sexy, in so many ways.  

I'd appreciate any feedback, one way or the other.

• Like 1

"May you stay...forever young."

I hate to agree with "delusional," but age and lack of parts outweigh the sexiness. If it was being aimed at studio use only, it would feel more tolerable for that kind of cash, but the risk of gigging with it seems high. The Moog One has had its own operating issues, so every buy of this weight calls for careful thought. $4K puts you within reach of things like the Quantum or a Prophet-6.

If you're keen on it, see if there is a semi-local repair shop that could tackle it if needed. It partly depends on how much hurt you can shoulder if it goes belly-up!

"Well, the 60s were fun, but now I'm payin' for it."
        ~ Stan Lee, "Ant-Man and the Wasp"

4 hours ago, Daddyg3042 said:

Really need to get some opinions on this. (snip)

My biggest concern is its age and the ability to get it serviced/get parts.  I’m reading that it’s difficult (impossible?) to find parts, and that with use, and I’d intend to gig with it, it’ll be prone to problems.  I can do simple stuff but repairing something like this is way above my pay grade.   (snip)  I've also read elsewhere to steer clear of this synth because of its age and lack of parts.

we typically don't try to talk someone out of buying a keyboard around here, this might be an exception    :idk:

:nopity:

Owner of an Andromeda since 2001, gigged it since 2002.

And I still gig it.

Do I worry about parts?

Never needed to.  Just don't be rough on the pots, especially the filter cutoff and volume pots.

About the only maintenance is replacing the coin battery (due about every ten years) and re-seating the ribbon connectors on the front panels, which cures the "self edit" problem.

• Like 1

if you like the sound buy the new Polybrute 12. It's the same price...

• Like 3

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen,Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9,Osmose

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

15 hours ago, Daddyg3042 said:

I’ve come across an Alesis Andromeda, in town, selling for what I think is a fairly decent price…$3900. 

My biggest concern is its age and the ability to get it serviced/get parts. 

I’ve searched this forum, and while  the Andromeda gets rave reviews, I’ve not seen much on how prone it is to malfunction, and strategies to prevent that, if there are any.  I've also read elsewhere to steer clear of this synth because of its age and lack of parts.

For the price, I know I could find a synth that would probably be more robust and a safer purchase, but damn, the Andromeda is just so sexy, in so many ways.

Andromeda owners can validate your concerns regarding maintenance and reliability.  Maybe that will be enough in your decision-making. 

Ultimately, only you can decide whether or not the juice is worth the squeeze. 

Personally, I would buy a brand new synth for that kind of money.😎

• Like 2

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Thank you all for the input, advice & suggestions.  I haven't had this level of GAS in awhile.  I think it's even worse now knowing about the Quantum and Polybrute. 

Decisions, decisions...

• Like 1

"May you stay...forever young."

4 hours ago, apple said:

I'm just curious why there's a Gator case but the keyboard hasn't travelled one time.

Sometimes musicians will buy a KB case thinking that one day they might gig or travel with it.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

21 hours ago, Daddyg3042 said:

Thank you all for the input, advice & suggestions.  I haven't had this level of GAS in awhile.  I think it's even worse now knowing about the Quantum and Polybrute. 

Decisions, decisions...

For me, I knew if I didn't get an A6, it would always be in the back of my mind that I wanted it.

So I got one, used it for a while, and haven't thought much about it since it's been gone.  YMMV

• Like 2

On 6/7/2024 at 1:36 PM, Daddyg3042 said:

Decisions, decisions...

As the owner of an Andromeda, I would wait and get a PolyBrute 12. It can do almost everything the Andromeda can do plus it has their new keybed that does poly aftertouch and beyond.

• Cool 1