Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I need a simple trigger/sound solution.

Sorry I haven't posted in awhile, but been busy. Anyway, I hope someone here can help (hint Craig).

I have a client who is a blues artist, and as he is just a solo act, the "tapping of his boot" is an important part of some of the tunes he plays. Not just keeping time (although that's what he's doing) but it's a style. The problem is that not all surfaces are the same and use your imagination.

So the thought was just put a simple piezo (trigger) under his chair (maybe under a piece of carpet) and adjust the sesitivity to a bass drum or tom sound he can send to his amp.

This particular setup would require not only a sound module, but also a trigger device and something like a Roland D4 would work just great.

So here is the challenge. We don't want/need to use a D4 or similar device. Looking for something like a single channel trigger. One input, select the midi note it plays, and he can send it to his little midi drum machine device. Better yet, would be a cheap little sound device that accepts a trigger.

This is one of those things that there should be a $50 or less solution for, but we are idling at $200 plus two extra pieces of gear not to mention the trigger setup. Really looking for something as simple as possible. The Clapper (old handheld device) would be great if it had the right sound in it... but it sound like a clap, not a kick or thud.

Any thoughts? Besides that this is the craziest idea you've heard yet.... :)

Desdinova

"...I am the one you warned me of."

www.BaronAudio.com

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually did that, he wasn't satisfied, but we did some experimenting (just like the old days) with a peice of plastic on a piece of carpet with a piezo element in-between. When I showed him all the possibilities when plugged into my D4 he started having all sorts of ideas of sounds that might be nice to create that way, or for other to use when he plays with his trio.

I wanted him to go the route of a PZM attached to a board and coverd with carpet. It gave the perfect toe-tap sound and was varied of course ever so slightly with each tap making it real, and precise... but hey... ain't the artist in this case.

Desdinova

"...I am the one you warned me of."

www.BaronAudio.com

My first thought was similar to Jeff's - get a "tap surface" he likes and bring that aliong to all gigs and mic it. I've known guys who have done exactly that.

Outside of that, you'll probably be stuck with a homemade trigger and a trigger to MIDI interface of some sort. A used Alesis D4 or DM5 should be dirt cheap these days, and you can get all the parts you need for the trigger at your local Rat Shack and hardware store.

Archived