Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Input lag in Logic 11, M1 up to the job?

Starting a new topic as there is lots of talk about new features in the Logic thread. Anyway, updated to Logic 11 and opened my last track. Keyboard lag from the Grandstage was unbearable. Tried changing latency settings in audio and ‘low latency monitoring’ in recording but no good. Decided a new track was the way to go and voila, no lag at all.

As I built up a track the lag crept back in, and by the end is was getting bad again. Tried with my Keystage and the same. Bear in mind this was just eight tracks but included one drum session track, the studio piano and studio bass with Chromaglow on the drums as well as the mastering mode activated.

Watched the activity monitor and there was no real stress on the CPU.

So, I’m wondering if there is some bug in the new version (never had lag before), if the AI stuff is just causing this and if an M1 with 8gb is up to the job now. I only ever fire up the Mac mini to use with Logic once in a while so don’t really want to upgrade if there are any settings or tweaks to improve this, I don’t believe the M2 is a substantial upgrade anyway…that just leaves a 16gb upgrade I guess.

Anyone else noticed similar issues in Logic 11?

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

Wow, how is this possible in 2024???

• Like 1

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Band Rig: PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

1 minute ago, Jonathan Hughes said:

The mastering assistant uses lookahead processing. Using any plugin that uses lookahead processing will give you a delay when playing from a keyboard.

I thought it only did that when you first run it as there is an option to ‘reanalyse’ afterwards. Will try disabling it next time and see the results. Can’t recall if the lag crept in before I ran it as I tend to do it last.

Im pretty sure M1 is more than capable and that 8gb is capable of handling such a few tracks. 

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

If you have plugins on the master, disable them while recording, known fact that the latency compensation is effing things up else.

• Like 1

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Band Rig: PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

What do you mean when you say keyboard lag?  Do you mean MIDI in to audio out from a plugin?  Which plugin exactly?   A stock logic plugin or a third party plugin?  Are you running in Rosetta because some of your plugins aren’t Apple Silicon native? Do you have PDC (plugin delay compensation) turned on?

Or do you mean audio in from your keyboard to monitoring audio out through Logic’s mixer? 

• Like 2

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

"I thought it only did that when you first run it as there is an option to ‘reanalyse’ afterwards"

No. Many compressors and limiters have a lookahead feature so that they can make adjustments before they need to happen. I assume that the analyzing is just for the overall EQ and compressor settings, but the compressor still needs to be able to look ahead as you're playing the track.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

What do you mean when you say keyboard lag?  Do you mean MIDI in to audio out from a plugin?  Which plugin exactly?   A stock logic plugin or a third party plugin?  Are you running in Rosetta because some of your plugins aren’t Apple Silicon native? Do you have PDC (plugin delay compensation) turned on?

Or do you mean audio in from your keyboard to monitoring audio out through Logic’s mixer? 

I just read about the Crtl I to disable Rosetta, will try that.

Sorry if it wasn’t clear, meant midi input lag when playing internal instruments from an external keyboard. Perfect at first, gets worse as the ‘song’ develops. At one point, so bad it sounded like a ping pong delay. Only noticed since upgrading to Logic Pro 11 and mastering assistant was already in Pro X…

Same Mac M1 8GB Logic 11 (Sonoma) and I have no lag since I enable “low latency” under the record tab. I also go to project management and delete all the unused recordings….

• Like 1

NS4 73HA, Yamaha CK61, Korg C1 Air, Roland TD1-DMK, Harley Benton TalkBox, Sony F-760 dynamic microphone, Scarlett 2i2 3rd gen, M-Audio Track Duo, MacBook Air M1, Logic Pro X, Kontakt 7, Mainstage, Cubasis 3 (IOS), Korg Module (IOS),

Quite a few tips here I can try to avoid the lag, thanks. On a side note, while looking to ‘clean up’ my mac, I discovered remnants of the Rhodes V8 trial and some GarageBand content was well over 30gb of my system data despite no applications being installed. That’s gone now along with a load of free plugins I never used.

On 5/20/2024 at 12:11 PM, MartinLeo said:

Same Mac M1 8GB Logic 11 (Sonoma) and I have no lag since I enable “low latency” under the record tab. I also go to project management and delete all the unused recordings….

I just started using a 16GB M1 MBP and I *have to* enable low latency mode (or else it was low latency input monitoring, iirc it is on the 2nd tab under Audio).   If I don't, no matter what the sample setting is or the reported latency being very low in milliseconds, I'll feel latency.  I don't remember needing to do that with older versions of Logic.   

In any case, it works fine when I do that.  And overall, it's much snappier to use than my Intel 2016 MBP.    Some of my newer Kontakt instruments like Lores and Fable (both from Native Instruments) were unusable with that machine.    I did take the opportunity to weed out a lot of plugins I wasn't using, but I'm not sure that really matters much if they aren't in use.

• Like 2

Did you try any of the suggestions above such as turning off mastering assistant and deleting unused recording, freezing tracks etc?

In my case, it's on a brand new project, no recorded tracks.

I'm not using the mastering assistant, but I also didn't check it yet, so it might be enabled.  Whatever the default is, that's what I am using :)  I just very recently upgraded from 10.8.   I'll take a look when I'm back on the mac.

• Like 1