Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Let it Be on Disney

Just came across this remastered version on Disney available for the first time in 50 years and it’s a great watch. Seeing these great musicians just messing about and making up songs that we know so well (and we are shouting the lyrics at the screen while they didn’t exist back then) is an interesting experience .

Clearly went a bit sour towards the end, but it’s a great ride until then especially if you are a fan.

Well worth a watch.

https://press.disney.co.uk/news/let-it-be-michael-lindsay-hoggs-original-1970-film-to-launch-exclusively-on-disney+-may-8-2024

• Like 3

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

Watching this prompted me to revisit the 9 hour Get Back documentary where the use of AI was still developing so lots of plastic looking faces (Let it be is far better).

Some great moments to put a smile on your face. Unpacking a new Leslie speaker and bunging it in the corner, opening up a shiny new Fender Rhodes, Billy Preston dropping by and instantly becoming the ‘fifth member’, the bands humour and jamming through old classic songs between takes, all the technical issues with tape and analogue gear. Best watched in a few sittings though. 

• Like 2

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

I'm interested to hear your positive read! I saw the original film once, years ago, and mostly remember it focusing on the much-storied tension within the band. Get Back absolutely blew me away so I had no real interest in seeing the original cut again, but perhaps I'll take the (admittedly much shorter than the Peter Jackson version) time. :) 

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

3 hours ago, SamuelBLupowitz said:

I'm interested to hear your positive read! I saw the original film once, years ago, and mostly remember it focusing on the much-storied tension within the band. Get Back absolutely blew me away so I had no real interest in seeing the original cut again, but perhaps I'll take the (admittedly much shorter than the Peter Jackson version) time. :) 

Yeah, it’s much shorter and the AI cleaning up is less obvious. Clearly they work together for a Beatles fan, but 9 hours is a lot to sit through so Let it Be is the snack sized version. I just love watching these guys, two of who are sadly no longer with us, just dicking around making up songs that we now know so well. The tension is very explicit in Get Back, but only referenced through a minor disagreement in Let it Be.

• Like 1

Imagine your 23 year old self wandering into a studio, being asked to casually jam on some tracks, laying down riffs on some of the most recognised tunes in rock history, hanging around for a few days breaking in a brand new Fender Rhodes, getting the roadies to cart in your B3 then being asked to become the fifth member of the band which just happened to be one of the biggest and greatest in the world at that point.

Yeah, beyond a dream, not a bad gig for Billy though.

IMG_0388.jpeg

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Paul Woodward said:

Imagine your 23 year old self wandering into a studio, being asked to casually jam on some tracks, laying down riffs on some of the most recognised tunes in rock history, hanging around for a few days breaking in a brand new Fender Rhodes, getting the roadies to cart in your B3 then being asked to become the fifth member of the band which just happened to be one of the biggest and greatest in the world at that point.

Yeah, beyond a dream, not a bad gig for Billy though.

IMG_0388.jpeg

Let us not forget, Billy kept it going with another band famous band a mere two years after this.

During the period 1971-1976, Preston contributed to every album The Rolling Stones cut during those years and he became a regular member of their touring ensemble, replacing Nicky Hopkins, who had health issues. 

Oh, and of course he had a very successful solo career at the same time. 

• Like 2

That cigarette on the lid of the Rhodes!!! 😬

Put it on the cheek block, which - judging by the old Rhodes I had - is where your lit cigarette is SUPPOSED to go.

• Like 2
Stuff and things.

https://www.cbs.com/shows/video/RGmkelCBD62yO9wvSrVxFVyTg3EtW2lg/

I saw this interview about Let It Be on CBS 60 Minutes not that long ago. Thanks not only to Peter Jackson for helping discover the Let It Be footage, but also to Michael Lindsay-Hogg for helping recover this footage, as the original Let It Be documentary had been out of print for so long!

• Like 1