Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg Collection 5

Interesting that two new 'engines' are from the Kronos. We already have Polysix and MS-20 this makes four (sort of) so how long before it's a full Kronos in software form?

Korg Grandstage 73, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

5 hours ago, Paul Woodward said:

Interesting that two new 'engines' are from the Kronos. We already have Polysix and MS-20 this makes four (sort of) so how long before it's a full Kronos in software form?

Makes sense given the direction Montage M has taken.  And Galaxias from Roland.  Will they build a MainStage-like host for all software instruments?  

• Like 1

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Not terribly interesting, this. The 2600 is already done by Arturia (as is the MS-20, by the way…which is better than Korg’s own version IMO). People are still waiting for those digital classics like the Trinity to appear in software form. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Paul Woodward said:

Now we're just waiting for the iOS version...

• Like 2

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII, SL73, Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

1 hour ago, tapes said:

Not terribly interesting, this. The 2600 is already done by Arturia (as is the MS-20, by the way…which is better than Korg’s own version IMO). People are still waiting for those digital classics like the Trinity to appear in software form. 

Isn't the Triton an improved version of the Trinity? The original and extreme are already in the collection.

Korg Grandstage 73, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

40 minutes ago, Paul Woodward said:

Isn't the Triton an improved version of the Trinity? The original and extreme are already in the collection.

Not really. It was the successor in the line-up, and hugely popular in its time, but it is an inferior synth soundwise. Even Korg themselves said the Triton series (HI synthesis) was intended as a "cost cutting" product. The sound is very heavily compressed and lossy, while the Trinity (ACCESS synthesis) was 48kHz and much higher quality. I don't think it was completely uncompressed, but it was close. The Tritons had a really thick low end, though - perfect for bass-heavy electronic music like hip hop, r&b, drum'n'bass...

Those who have (had) the hardware versions, say the same thing - the Trinity sounded superior. The Triton does have more/better FX, though. I actually still have both, a Triton Studio and two "Trinities". 😄 I like them both for different things!

There was also the MOSS physical modeling board, which isn't available in software format. You have the Prophecy plug-in, which had some of its features, but it isn't a full MOSS.

• Like 3

It always irks me that whenever a Vox Continental emulation is done it is always the double manual version that is emulated. I never understood why that is when the earlier single manual version is 1) the best sounding version and 2) the one most widely used in well-known recordings.

I've only had very limited experiences with the EP-1 engine in some very brief playing with a Kronos, Nautilus, and (does SV2 use the EP-1 engine or is that just the Grandstage?) Is it competitive with popular software EPs out there?

• Like 1

It was in the Kronos and Nautilus as well as the Vox, but the SV-2 uses EDs-X. I like it, especially nice on the RH3 equipped Grandstage, but as an addition to the Korg Collection?

In the Grandstage its just a set of presets with very basic editing so I don't know how much it can be edited in the other two boards. If they also bring in the SGX2 and CX-3 engines we inch nearer to a software Kronos which is just fine by me as I already have the DAW I want, but often lusted after the sound engines of the Kronos (hence I got the GS). 

I skipped the last update as most of the newbies were more geared towards musical styles I don't make anymore, but this one has me very interested.

I wonder when we'll receive emails with upgrade offers? I guess this was not a day-of-release announcement, as are most software products these days?

• Like 1

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

A little part me just hopes that promo images like this mean the collection will be getting some updates to make better use of the Keystage….well, I can hope.

IMG_0383.jpeg

50 minutes ago, jejefunkyman said:

I'm pretty much interested in the EP-1 engine, as I'm an Electric Piano freak 🤣

I really like the EP-1 engine on the Grandstage which is taken from Kronos. However, as these EP sounds will be not compatible with the Kronos or Nautilus, I wonder if they are somehow different…

I think they will simply port the EP-1 engine to make it available as a software module on Mac. I don’t think this has anything to do with compatibility. In the end, I think it will sound the same than on the Kronos or Nautilus. Or maybe it will sound even better 😁 But let’s see. 

• Like 1