Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

iPad Air M2 now with 13" model $799 128gb, also new Pro

Finally, a decently sized iPad at a lower price point. 

More info coming out now on iPad Pro as well...

Tandem OLED, textured glass for less glare.

M4 chip.  $999, $1299

Automated shadow removing when scanning documents. 

Updated Magic Keyboard and a new Pencil (squeeze functions, haptic feedback, find-my-pencil, sensis rotation "barrel roll"). 

Hoping for MainStage for iPad OS....  

Logic Pro 2 and Final Cut 2 for iPad 

Logic Pro gets an AI drummer and keyboard player, stem separation, and machine learning based reverb.  

Standard 10th Gen iPad gets repriced at $349.

Nope, no MainStage for iPad OS yet.  Bummer. 

Surprise - logic Pro for macOS gets version 11 bump out next week.  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Interesting that the 10th gen has gone down to a new low price making it a very tempting offer as a sound module/music tablet. I was poised over the buy button for the pencil pro....then I realised it won’t work with what is still today, the latest iPad Pro

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

4 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

machine learning based reverb

What does this do that convolution doesn't? Does it learn the reverb by being trained on "real sounds with reverb on them" - kind of a like a deepfake reverb?

4 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Standard 10th Gen iPad gets repriced at $349.

That's the right price for an entry-level iPad. 

Cheers, Mike.

1 hour ago, stoken6 said:

What does this do that convolution doesn't? Does it learn the reverb by being trained on "real sounds with reverb on them" - kind of a like a deepfake reverb?

That's the right price for an entry-level iPad. 

Cheers, Mike.

I’m not sure about these newest features as I’m still on a 2013 MacBook Pro running Big Sur so I can’t try out v11.  Waaaaa! 😩

But it seems they have also built a tape saturation plugin and made improvements to their Flex Pitch correction.  So I would very much like to move over to Apple Silicon.  Maybe a second hand M2 machine is in my future. The better Logic’s stock plugins and features get, the less need for third party plugins. 

On 5/7/2024 at 2:20 PM, ElmerJFudd said:

I’m not sure about these newest features as I’m still on a 2013 MacBook Pro running Big Sur so I can’t try out v11.  Waaaaa! 😩

But it seems they have also built a tape saturation plugin and made improvements to their Flex Pitch correction.  So I would very much like to move over to Apple Silicon.  Maybe a second hand M2 machine is in my future. The better Logic’s stock plugins and features get, the less need for third party plugins. 

Big Sur here as well, for now. When I buy a new Mac, I freeze the *** out of Logic pretty early on. I updated rather needlessly once and paid the price in un-breaking my 3rd party goods. Those are precious. Apple doesn't offer a few things I see as vital, such as the GX-80, Cloud D-50, Strum and bigger orchestral resources.

No matter where you're headed, for Crom's sake, seriously consider whatever it takes to get 1 TB of storage and more would be far better. I'm dedicated to making safeties, but not at all a fan of having Logic need outboard library storage. Laptops seem to need to go there far more than I'm willing to accept. It depends on what kind of juggling you can tolerate. For me, that seems to = everything in the Mac and my potato-butt planted in front of it! 🤨

• Like 1

"It ain't over 'til the fat despot sings."
     ~ "X-Men '97"

1 hour ago, David Emm said:

Big Sur here as well, for now. When I buy a new Mac, I freeze the *** out of Logic pretty early on. I updated rather needlessly once and paid the price in un-breaking my 3rd party goods. Those are precious. Apple doesn't offer a few things I see as vital, such as the GX-80, Cloud D-50, Strum and bigger orchestral resources.

No matter where you're headed, for Crom's sake, seriously consider whatever it takes to get 1 TB of storage and more would be far better. I'm dedicated to making safeties, but not at all a fan of having Logic need outboard library storage. Laptops seem to need to go there far more than I'm willing to accept. It depends on what kind of juggling you can tolerate. For me, that seems to = everything in the Mac and my potato-butt planted in front of it! 🤨

I won’t bother upgrading until I’ve saved enough scratch for 16gb+ and 1tb internal storage.  

I was reading today, that Apple’s parts pickers selected three different speed ssd drives for the Mac Minis (which is my most likely choice to avoid paying Apple’s price for keyboard and mouse).  The 256gb is slower than the 512gb which in turn is slower than the 1tb. 😂

A 1TB Thunderbolt external is super fast, and can be bus-powered and compact, you could probably velcro it to the lid of the macbook. I'm not saying internal isn't nice, but so is saving hundred$, that's the choice.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

4 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

A 1TB Thunderbolt external is super fast, and can be bus-powered and compact, you could probably velcro it to the lid of the macbook. I'm not saying internal isn't nice, but so is saving hundred$, that's the choice.

I bought the base Mac Mini M1 and added a Samsung T7 external SSD which, in real use, runs as fast as the internal drive. Sits discreetly behind the mini and, as @AnotherScott said, saves a lot of money as well as being a portable source of all your sound sets and samples etc.

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

6 hours ago, Paul Woodward said:

I bought the base Mac Mini M1 and added a Samsung T7 external SSD which, in real use, runs as fast as the internal drive. Sits discreetly behind the mini and, as @AnotherScott said, saves a lot of money as well as being a portable source of all your sound sets and samples etc.

Yup. As also discussed elsewhere, for most uses (including what might seem to be demanding musical ones), you don't even need thunderbolt on the external, a fast USB 3 works fine, and you can get something really ridiculously light and tiny these days, for very reasonable cost.  TB probably provides more psychological comfort than anythuing else, in knowing even that you're technically getting to be on par with the internal, but for real world use, I don't imagine there are many scenarios where you'd notice the difference. Maybe if you wanted to use it as an alternate boot drive?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

macOS + MainStage and Logic + Apple's Sample Library and your third party plugins (and their content).

How much space is left on your 256gb drive?

My libraries wouldn't fit on a 1TB (or it'd be close), so I'd either need a much bigger internal drive or use externals.

Minimum I'd get on any mac moving forward is 512GB and preferably 1TB personally.

One hassle with all the external power cable/hubs/dongles/adapters I have on my older MBp is that they tend to slip out of the usb-c ports if you breath heavily on it.   I haven't yet hooked up the new-to-me M1 MBP to see if they made these a bit more snug.  It's one thing I dislike about usb-c.  I REALLY like that they went back to mag-safe for power.

Seeing as how it's possible to accumulate multiple terabytes of sample libraries, I might ask how much of that I need on a day-to-day basis, or at least immediately or conveniently accessible. Put those on the internal, and banish the rest to an external would be my two cents'. Those little gumstick drives in a tiny USB 3.2 case (or the Samsung Ts) aren't exactly hard to travel with either.

1 hour ago, ElmerJFudd said:

macOS + MainStage and Logic + Apple's Sample Library and your third party plugins (and their content).

How much space is left on your 256gb drive?

I don't know, but Logic does not require that you keep the sample library (or 3rd party plugins) on the boot drive, so again, I'd consider something like velcro'ing the tiny 4TB Crucial X9 Pro