Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OsTIrus - Access Virus TI emulation

So, unless you own the synth and have access to the ROM and tools to make a file dump of it, it's basically like using cracked software, right?

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Band Rig: PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

38 minutes ago, J.F.N. said:

So, unless you own the synth and have access to the ROM and tools to make a file dump of it, it's basically like using cracked software, right?

Well, kind of similar, if not exactly the same. At least the emulating software is free and open source. I have found a way to get the firmware easily, from a legit place. But the use is still not endorsed by Access

3 minutes ago, Jose EB5AGV said:

Well, kind of similar, if not exactly the same. At least the emulating software is free and open source. I have found a way to get the firmware easily, from a legit place. But the use is still not endorsed by Access

How can the firmware be distributed legit if it's not endorsed by the manufacturer?

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

9 minutes ago, J.F.N. said:

How can the firmware be distributed legit if it's not endorsed by the manufacturer?

No, what I said is that the site is legit, not any piracy repository, as it is the Access website. If anyone wants more details, just PM me. There is nothing bad per-se involved on the way to get it. The use you do is another topic.

Please, I am not trying to convince anyone on using that emulation. But is really that it has hit me as an awesome feat, technically speaking. It demonstrates how general use computers have quite a lot of computing power on them and can be used to emulate any older digital technology, as they do with game console emulators also.

And it's discontinued anyway, just curious about the ROMs and their legal whereabouts. As Access doesn't market any product with the software in they could just as well release it, unsupported, for public use...

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

5 minutes ago, J.F.N. said:

And it's discontinued anyway, just curious about the ROMs and their legal whereabouts. As Access doesn't market any product with the software in they could just as well release it, unsupported, for public use...

That would be nice!

Right, as of now, not legal unless you own the hardware, which I’m fortunate to have.

(I’m also a donator to the project, which gave me access to the pre-release versions.)

Given that it’s not just the synth that’s discontinued but the actual Motorola chips, I’m likely hosed if anything goes seriously awry with the hardware. I think of this software as a handy backup.

And given that the TI software is no longer developed, leaving newer Mac users in a lurch, this is effectively “total integration” without actually integrating anything.

I make software noises.

7 minutes ago, johnchop said:

Right, as of now, not legal unless you own the hardware, which I’m fortunate to have.

(I’m also a donator to the project, which gave me access to the pre-release versions.)

Given that it’s not just the synth that’s discontinued but the actual Motorola chips, I’m likely hosed if anything goes seriously awry with the hardware. I think of this software as a handy backup.

And given that the TI software is no longer developed, leaving newer Mac users in a lurch, this is effectively “total integration” without actually integrating anything.

They would do a hell of a service if they just released the ROM files for public use, obviously wouldn't hurt any business in any way, now or in the future. That is, unless they have some plans to do something with it that we're not aware about...

• Like 1

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -