Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dear Comrade, All Music MUST Be Between 80 to 116 BPM!!

I keep thinking I wandered into a Borat sketch by mistake, but here's the source

Authorities in Russia’s republic of Chechnya have imposed limits on music tempos to abide by strict cultural norms in the deeply conservative Muslim-majority region.

“From now on all musical, vocal and choreographic works should correspond to a tempo of 80 to 116 beats per minute,” Chechnya’s Culture Ministry said in a statement earlier this week. 

The new tempo standard, which is relatively slow in the context of popular music, was announced following Chechen Culture Minister Musa Dadayev’s meeting with local state and municipal artists.

Chechen leader Ramzan Kadyrov had instructed Dadayev to make Chechen music “conform to the Chechen mentality,” according to the statement. “Borrowing musical culture from other peoples is inadmissible,” Dadayev said.

Local artists were ordered to “rewrite” their music by June 1 to accommodate the changes. “Otherwise, they would not be allowed for public performance,” the Culture Ministry wrote on the messaging app Telegram.

I guess the upside is a sales opportunity for companies that make time-stretching plugins!

• Annoyed 1
  • Confused 1
  • Wow! 1

The term "culture ministry" is generally short for 'bend over and grab your ankles.'

Historically, anyone who wants to administer your culture is a living spoiler who deserves a beating. :hitt:

An evangelist came to town who was so good,
 even Huck Finn was saved until Tuesday.
      ~ "Tom Sawyer"

This will likely put an end to:

Disco

Trance

Techno

Future House

Electro House

Tech House

Hardstyle

Drum and Bass

Most other genres have a wider range of tempos so can stay within the 80 to 116 BPM limitation.

I wonder if the police will be monitoring music events and arrest musicians who exceed the tempo limit or don't play fast enough.

Gibson G101, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Vox Continental, RMI Electra-Piano and Harpsichord 300A, Hammond M102A, Hohner Combo Pianet, OB8, Matrix 12, Jupiter 6, Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, CS70M, CP35, PX-5S, WK-3800, Stage 3 Compact

"MOOOOM! BILLY'S PLAYIN' AT 117 BPM AGAIN! WE'RE GONNA GET BUSTED!!"

Chechnya wasn't exactly a hotbed of music tech anyway, but I briefly envisioned mullahs going around putting car boots on drum machines. 

At this point, I recall Zappa's comment about politicians trying to potty-train artists. :rolleyes:

An evangelist came to town who was so good,
 even Huck Finn was saved until Tuesday.
      ~ "Tom Sawyer"