Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sending Midi messages to Motif rack with ios device

Am thinking of picking up a motif rack for some gigs. Most of my boards aren’t really great midi controllers apart from basic connection, so is it possible to use an app on my iPad or iPhone to send patch changes to a motif rack? 

Yamaha MODX8, Legend Live.

Yes. There are MIDI routing apps that can do it, and there are set list management apps that can do it.

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

4 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

Yes. There are MIDI routing apps that can do it, and there are set list management apps that can do it.

Thanks Scott. I might pm you at some stage to pick your brains about which app may work. Appreciate the reply. 

Yamaha MODX8, Legend Live.

I didn't end up gigging with it, but I tested Midiflow to send patches to two different keyboards.  Worked fine.  Midiflow also does a ton more, the main thing I wanted to do was to route either keyboard to each other and also to the ipad.  That also worked.   

E.G.  have my Novation Summit able to play:   1) itself   or   2)Sounds from the ipad   or   3) sounds from the Modx.   And pretty similar for the Modx.   The ipad was only running B-3X organ app so the scenario I'd use would depend on the type of song.

In the end I opted to just keep things simple, I'm not very adventurous when it comes to gigging with a tech-heavy setup :)  I like to plug in, hit the switch and go!

My biggest beef with the app is that I didn't really like the song list options--it basically listed them in alphabetical order and that was it.

--

Different app might also work.  I have used Songbook pro for lyrics and (I think) it will send program changes when you pull up a song.  I believe Onsong (which might be subscription only at this point) will do that and a lot more.

• Like 1

I mentioned two approaches, but left out a third, which is probably best if that's all you need to do... apps that let you create on-screen buttons that send whatever MIDI commands you want. MIDI Designer Pro is probably the main one. I had been using one called MIDI Macros, which is fast and simple for this purpose, but it appears to have broken with iOS 16 or 17. There was also MidiPad2, which I think is also no longer functional.

For other approaches, iMidiPatchbay, Camelot Pro, and Keystage (and I think AUM as well) are designed to route MIDI to both software and hardware instruments and can send Program Changes. And set list apps that include, not just the ability to display lyrics/charts but can also send MIDI Program Change include, I believe, Set List Maker, Forscore, OnSong, igigbook, and probably others. (Some may require additional IAP for that functionality.)

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Just to add:  Learning to interpret the “MIDI Implementation” chart (for each specific MIDI hardware) is of great value in this regard.

• Like 1

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512.