Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Νord 5d bass or Mainstage?

So I got this gig in Hungary where I'll be playing keys and bass, and I have these two options 

1) I either play the internal Nord Electro 5 bass on the left chanel, organ/ep/keys on the right chanel

Or

2) I use the Mainstage bass through a different output from my sound card to a bass amp

Normally I would prefer to use the Nord's bass and drive the rest of the Nord's sounds in mono to the FOH. But something's telling me that the Mainstage bass will be punchier and it will free up the Nord to run its sounds in stereo

PS: in either scenarios the Nord will be my main keyboard and there will also be an Axiom and a Korg bluetooth 37 key for additional sounds, leads etc for Mainstage.

What's your take? 

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Would you only be using Mainstage for the bass parts? If you're already taking the computer/Mainstage to the gig, I'd definitely go with sourcing the bass from MS, you'd have more sound options, and you could still run the Nord in stereo. But, if you could do the gig with just the Nord, I'd probably do that out of convenience/laziness.

• Like 1

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

1 minute ago, NewImprov said:

Would you only be using Mainstage for the bass parts? If you're already taking the computer/Mainstage to the gig, I'd definitely go with sourcing the bass from MS, you'd have more sound options, and you could still run the Nord in stereo. But, if you could do the gig with just the Nord, I'd probably do that out of convenience/laziness.

I'll have my Mac onstage either way. I prefer the simplicity of the Nord but the fact that I have to run the rest of its sounds in mono if I play the Nord bass, is kind of disappointing 

5 minutes ago, yannis D said:

1) I either play the internal Nord Electro 5 bass on the left chanel, organ/ep/keys on the right chanel

If you play a Nord bass sound on the left, which is a sample/synth sound, the only Nord sounds available on your right will be organ or piano library. 

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

1 minute ago, AnotherScott said:

If you play a Nord bass sound on the left, which is a sample/synth sound, the only Nord sounds available on your right will be organ or piano library. 

Yes, and the Mainstage synths which will be played on the Nord keyboard. 

If you have your computer there anyway, maybe plan on MS and have the Electro bass programmed and ready as a backup (I don't trust computers at all live, though I use them at home for all sounds and effects :) )

Thankfully I do not have to play bass, but a buddy does.  He ran into that same Electro dilemma when he was using one.  He's tried all kinds of things, and finally has settled on kind of the old school Ray Manzarek solution--a smaller keyboard that does nothing but bass.   In his case, the Poly D, which is is a bit of an odd choice but he got a great deal on it, and it sounds great.  Doesn't sound exactly like a bass guitar, but I personally wouldn't shoot for that anyway.   Stays in tune, which was a concern!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stokely said:

If you have your computer there anyway, maybe plan on MS and have the Electro bass programmed and ready as a backup (I don't trust computers at all live, though I use them at home for all sounds and effects :) )

Thankfully I do not have to play bass, but a buddy does.  He ran into that same Electro dilemma when he was using one.  He's tried all kinds of things, and finally has settled on kind of the old school Ray Manzarek solution--a smaller keyboard that does nothing but bass.   In his case, the Poly D, which is is a bit of an odd choice but he got a great deal on it, and it sounds great.  Doesn't sound exactly like a bass guitar, but I personally wouldn't shoot for that anyway.   Stays in tune, which was a concern!

Unfortunately the second keyboard will be a controller a fly-easy Korg bluetooth 37 and an Axiom, so there are no internal bass sounds. I thought of maybe using the Korg as a sole bass controller from Mainstage but there's another problem in this scenario: playing bass on an upper keyboard while seated is gonna hurt my left hand.

I was thinking maybe a stand that allows me to bring the Nord and the Axiom close together, and then having the bass from Mainstage in order not to sacrifice the Nord's stereo routing...

• Love 1

31 minutes ago, yannis D said:

Unfortunately the second keyboard will be a controller a fly-easy Korg bluetooth 37 and an Axiom, so there are no internal bass sounds. I thought of maybe using the Korg as a sole bass controller from Mainstage but there's another problem in this scenario: playing bass on an upper keyboard while seated is gonna hurt my left hand.

I was thinking maybe a stand that allows me to bring the Nord and the Axiom close together, and then having the bass from Mainstage in order not to sacrifice the Nord's stereo routing...

I've been playing left-hand bass in a project pretty regularly for the past six months, and ergonomics are SO important. I also like having a dedicated bass board (I've gone the analog synth route in this case; gives me some Stevie Wonder energy, but like if Stevie's synth bass parts were toddlers still learning to walk...) but getting it positioned in a way that is comfortable and intuitive for my left hand the whole show is paramount.

I'll let you know when I've finally figured out how to nail it!

• Haha 1

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

11 minutes ago, SamuelBLupowitz said:

I've been playing left-hand bass in a project pretty regularly for the past six months, and ergonomics are SO important. I also like having a dedicated bass board (I've gone the analog synth route in this case; gives me some Stevie Wonder energy, but like if Stevie's synth bass parts were toddlers still learning to walk...) but getting it positioned in a way that is comfortable and intuitive for my left hand the whole show is paramount.

I'll let you know when I've finally figured out how to nail it!

This will be like finding answer to  the great mysteries of the universe 

• Love 1