Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

If you buy a second hand Montage M - how to transfer the ESP?

Good question! Gave it some thought myself

So to sell the whole kaboodle, you would de-register the Montage serial on your Yamaha account, and de-register the ESP on your Cubase activation app.

The new owner would purchase the Montage hardware, and you'd give them the card with ESP download code,

Because this copy of ESP, and Yamaha serial has been de-registered, the new owner would then register both to their respective accounts.

(From what I can tell though, there appears to be no connection between the hardware serial and ESP code, so they could theoretically part ways on different accounts.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Yamaha MontageM8x, Studiologic Numa Piano X GT, Kronos2-73, .
Other important stuff: Novation Summit, NI Komplete Ultimate 14 CE, Omnisphere, EW Hollywood Orchestra Opus, Spitfire Symphony Orchestra, Sonuscore Elysion and Orchestra Complete 3, Pianoteq 8 Pro, Roland RD88.

35 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Interesting, so in theory, if one wasn’t using the ESP they could sell just the software.   

Possibly, though that would remain to be seen, maybe there is a connection I've not as yet, detected.🤔

• Like 1

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Yamaha MontageM8x, Studiologic Numa Piano X GT, Kronos2-73, .
Other important stuff: Novation Summit, NI Komplete Ultimate 14 CE, Omnisphere, EW Hollywood Orchestra Opus, Spitfire Symphony Orchestra, Sonuscore Elysion and Orchestra Complete 3, Pianoteq 8 Pro, Roland RD88.

On 3/24/2024 at 3:20 AM, DeltaJockey said:

Good question! Gave it some thought myself

So to sell the whole kaboodle, you would de-register the Montage serial on your Yamaha account, and de-register the ESP on your Cubase activation app.

The new owner would purchase the Montage hardware, and you'd give them the card with ESP download code,

Because this copy of ESP, and Yamaha serial has been de-registered, the new owner would then register both to their respective accounts.

(From what I can tell though, there appears to be no connection between the hardware serial and ESP code, so they could theoretically part ways on different accounts.)

That is really the only way. If the former owner doesn't do this, then there's no ESP software. It is not available for used owners. 

On 3/24/2024 at 11:19 PM, DeltaJockey said:

Possibly, though that would remain to be seen, maybe there is a connection I've not as yet, detected.🤔

Thinking about it further,  there is one part which may be an issue. Rather than the buyer using the download code to obtain the software, I think the downloaded plugin installer would have to be given to the buyer, as it does say, don't lose the download code, Yamaha can't give you another one. (I think it can only be issued once.)

But the deactivation and reactivation seems to be ok. From what I've been able to deduce, as it's so new, I don't think there is actually a formal process yet.

Maybe when it's sorted, the process may include some communication with Yamaha over transfer of ownership.

The fact that there is still uncertainty over a retail version of ESP, and nobody has posted that they have sold their Montage and ESP,  we can't as yet test the theory.

I would expect that there will have to be an easy, documented and legit way of onselling the package.

One other thing which comes to mind though, is the little known fact about warranty that might apply to accompanying software. That when selling a piece of hardware which is still within warranty period, many companies don't honor the warranty to the new owner, only the original purchaser.

It all gets so more foggy nowadays with software licensing that is part of a hardware purchase.

35 minutes ago, DeltaJockey said:

deactivation and reactivation seems to be ok. From what I've been able to deduce, as it's so new, I don't think there is actually a formal process yet.

Maybe when it's sorted, the process may include some communication with Yamaha over transfer of ownership.

Yes... deactivation/reactivation and license transfer are two different things. Lots of software comes with limited installs, so for example, if you want to keep using the software when you buy a new computer, you have to deactivate the license on the old computer and then reactivate it on the new one. A Yamaha deactivation/reactivation process would be needed for something like this, but that's different from transferring the license to a new user. It's an interesting question as to how they've set the license up when selling your Montage M. Do they prevent you from transferring the software to the new owner of the hardware? Or maybe they require that you deactivate your copy and transfer the ownership to the new owner of the hardware? Or maybe they give you the option?

35 minutes ago, DeltaJockey said:

TOne other thing which comes to mind though, is the little known fact about warranty that might apply to accompanying software. That when selling a piece of hardware which is still within warranty period, many companies don't honor the warranty to the new owner, only the original purchaser.

It all gets so more foggy nowadays with software licensing that is part of a hardware purchase.

It's not foggy... because in general, while hardware has a warranty, software usually has no warranty at all!

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

2 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

Yes... deactivation/reactivation and license transfer are two different things. Lots of software comes with limited installs, so for example, if you want to keep using the software when you buy a new computer, you have to deactivate the license on the old computer and then reactivate it on the new one. A Yamaha deactivation/reactivation process would be needed for something like this, but that's different from transferring the license to a new user. It's an interesting question as to how they've set the license up when selling your Montage M. Do they prevent you from transferring the software to the new owner of the hardware? Or maybe they require that you deactivate your copy and transfer the ownership to the new owner of the hardware? Or maybe they give you the option?

It's not foggy... because in general, while hardware has a warranty, software usually has no warranty at all!

It can be difficult to articulate in text sometimes :)

No, I didn't mean software warranty, I meant all of the above issues when software is accompanied with hardware. The hardware warranty issue was just an example of how some companies treat transfer of ownership, leaving the question of ownership transfer with software?