Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any using a Roland SH-4D as an additional tone source when playing live?

I've recently moved to a Hammand SKX Pro as part of my stratgey to reduce the number of boards and gear I'm bringing to gigs.  For the most part, the SKX has allowed me to get down to one keyboard and no mixer to deal with.  The SKX is great sounding and the favorites give me quick access to sounds I use most.  But I could still use more good sounding pads and leads.  I was toying with adding the SH-4D (small, light) midi'd up to the SKX.  Anyone doing similar or have advice regarding the SH-4D.  Thanks for your help!

No.  

I do use a Roland D-05.  Similar form factor.   I run the synth in a rack shelf.   I handle patch control from the controller.  I used it mostly for D-50 pads and under layers. I’m an old D-50 fanboy with a huge D-50 library.  

The struggle I would have with what you want to do is where to place the synth to be able to use its native controls.   

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

24 minutes ago, CEB said:

The struggle I would have with what you want to do is where to place the synth to be able to use its native controls.   

Was thinking I'd set it on the SpaceStation XL and midi to it.  I probably won't be tweaking the knobs in a live setting.  I was thinking I'd use the SKX external midi function to call up SH-4D patches (presets or user saved) using MSB/LSB and patch number.  That is, set up a combo in the SKX that designates that tone as external, on the SH-4D's receive channel.  That should mute the SKX and sound through the SH-4D. That's the idea.  Not sure yet if it’s doable.  I used to do this with a Krome and a Roland Integra7. (Kicking myself for selling the Integra7).  All knobs on thhe SH-4D are midi addressable.  I  guess if I really needed to tweak during a live setting,  I could assign SKX sliders/knobs to send CCs to the SH-4D controls. 

• Like 1

If you aren’t going to be tweaking knobs on the synth you should golden. 

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt