Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Whatever happened to the MMA?

For several days now the MIDI Manufacturers Association web site has completely disappeared. Or is it just unavailable in the UK?

First the forum went off line and then the whole site became unobtainable.

Have they been massively hacked or something, or is the site experiencing a face lift?

Just curious as I moderate and delete and ban the spam.

JG

Akai EWI 4000s, Yamaha VL70m, Yamaha AN1x, Casio PX560, Yamaha MU1000XG+PLGs-DX,AN,VL.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

John - it's all about a total makeover for the site that didn't go as planned. As (un)luck would have it, at the same time the site was being redone, there was a DDOS attack on the service that hosts the MIDI Association website, and a corrupted backup so the site couldn't just go back to the way it was.

Having gone through several platform changes with other sites, I know the process is fraught. I'm sure they'll get it up and running before too long. 

Aha! Thanks for the info.

Sounds like "par for the course"!

So ... all the forum posts have been lost, AGAIN presumably.

The old forum (pre the one that has just just folded) with hundreds of posts about MIDI (even a few solutions from me!) also was discarded in favour of the new.

Shame!

JG

Akai EWI 4000s, Yamaha VL70m, Yamaha AN1x, Casio PX560, Yamaha MU1000XG+PLGs-DX,AN,VL.

The MIDI Association issued a statement this morning:

"MIDI.org was hit by a perfect storm in the middle of transitioning to a new website platform. We were moving from a Joomla based website to a Wordpress website with much more security in place. But only a few days before the transition, we were hit by a series of DoS attacks which took the site down. We apologize for the inconvenience and are working to rectify the problem by transitioning completely to the new site."

There's another update on the situation planned for members on Monday. 

Thanks for that Craig.

The UK u3a is moving to WordPress too. I'm unfortunate enough to be web co-ordinator for one the the 700 odd branches here.

I'm trying to absorb the info in a 296 page manual in my copious spare time. Yuk!

Not my favourite waste of time.

The site is back up, and it sure looks like the forums are intact :thu:  All my tips are there as well, so they probably ported over pretty much everything.

Still figuring my way around all the new stuff, but there is a lot of info and news. Better than the old site, IMO.

Yup, just logged on and it seems I'm no longer a moderator. The spam has already started - I found three, couldn't remove them or delete the users.

Oh well! Good luck MMA, I've put in many years of service and finally had enough.

Time to let others take over.

JG.